iPad VPN access to server

Andy Gordon-4
iPad with FileMaker Go.  Server with FileMaker 11 advanced (not server).  VPN hooks up and FMGo accesses the server but no files are listed to open and work on.

What are we missing?

TIA

Andy

Sent from Andy Gordon's iPad

Re: iPad VPN access to server

Beverly Voth-3
Do the files show if you use open remote on FMPro?

Do you know the name of the file(s)?

-- sent from my iPhone4 --
Beverly Voth
--

> On Jun 1, 2014, at 1:54 AM, Andy Gordon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> iPad with FileMaker Go.  Server with FileMaker 11 advanced (not server).  VPN hooks up and FMGo accesses the server but no files are listed to open and work on.
>
> What are we missing?
>
> TIA
>
> Andy
>
> Sent from Andy Gordon's iPad

Re: iPad VPN access to server

Claus Lavendt
FileMaker announce server and filenames via bonjour. It is very normal that you can not see files on a VPN connection as it does not propagate the info.
You should be able to open the files, if you know the location and filename.
A way of doing this is to create a "Starter file". A simple FileMaker file, with buttons that opens your databases on the server. That way, you do not have to worry about bonjour and vpn.

However, it is possibly, that port 5003 is blocked by the vpn server. That one has to be open.

Claus Lavendt
DataManix
www.datamanix.com

Re: iPad VPN access to server

Damian Kelly
Does it no longer use UDP?

Either way server has to be on the same subnet as the client

Damian

On 1 Jun 2014, at 22:32, Claus Lavendt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FileMaker announce server and filenames via bonjour. It is very normal that
> you can not see files on a VPN connection as it does not propagate the info.
> You should be able to open the files, if you know the location and filename.
> A way of doing this is to create a "Starter file". A simple FileMaker file,
> with buttons that opens your databases on the server. That way, you do not
> have to worry about bonjour and vpn.
>
> However, it is possibly, that port 5003 is blocked by the vpn server. That
> one has to be open.
>

> -----
>

> Claus Lavendt
> DataManix
> www.datamanix.com

Re: iPad VPN access to server

Beverly Voth-3
ah yes, I missed that this was FMPro not FMServer 'hosting' the file that FMGo needs to see.

Beverly

On 01 Jun 2014, at 4:32 PM, Claus Lavendt wrote:

> FileMaker announce server and filenames via bonjour. It is very normal that
> you can not see files on a VPN connection as it does not propagate the info.
> You should be able to open the files, if you know the location and filename.
> A way of doing this is to create a "Starter file". A simple FileMaker file,
> with buttons that opens your databases on the server. That way, you do not
> have to worry about bonjour and vpn.
>
> However, it is possibly, that port 5003 is blocked by the vpn server. That
> one has to be open.
>

> -----
>

> Claus Lavendt
> DataManix
> www.datamanix.com

Re: iPad VPN access to server

Jacober_15
Mainly I use the VPN for unblocking sites and the free one does the trick but very soon I would be visiting China for 2 months so have been trying to find the best vpn china so that it can help me get access to the blocked sites in China without any trouble. Do you know about a good one?