how to turn of "summarizing a field"

Pia Oliver
I have a “summary field” which sums the total no of copies of a title we have in stock. As I write this I don’t need the field but I want to know the answer. It calculates all the time! It’s so annoying, whatever I do, it has to recalculate. I don’t know how to turn this off; I have looked in the inspector, I have gone to the field itself in the manage database. Somewhere, I thought I had seen that in the box where one can also make a field global there was something about indexing? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

thanks,

Pia

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the Palm of Your Hand
And Eternity in an Hour.
William Blake

<http://www.piasworld.com>

Re: how to turn of "summarizing a field"

Stephen Wonfor-3
Pia

What you can do it to create a small two-tab panel and place the field in question on the non-default tab.  That way you can keep the field from recalculating unless you want to know what it knows (after the recalc).  It only recalculates when it is visible.

Stephen

----

SKILL  SAW:  A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.  (---Attributed to the list at http://techtalk.parts-express.com/; Also claimed by others...)

> On Apr 20, 2017, at 1:09 PM, Pia Oliver <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a “summary field” which sums the total no of copies of a title we have in stock. As I write this I don’t need the field but I want to know the answer. It calculates all the time! It’s so annoying, whatever I do, it has to recalculate. I don’t know how to turn this off; I have looked in the inspector, I have gone to the field itself in the manage database. Somewhere, I thought I had seen that in the box where one can also make a field global there was something about indexing? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
>
> thanks,
>
> Pia
>

> To see a World in a Grain of Sand
> And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
> Hold Infinity in the Palm of Your Hand
> And Eternity in an Hour.
> William Blake
>
> <http://www.piasworld.com>

Re: how to turn of "summarizing a field"

cbacon@productiveit.co.uk
Hi Pia,

Assuming you're using FMP 14 or later, you could place a "show summary" button on the layout which toggles a global $$ variable and put a hide object control on the summary field.

Chaim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 20 Apr 2017, at 20:09, Pia Oliver <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a “summary field” which sums the total no of copies of a title we have in stock. As I write this I don’t need the field but I want to know the answer. It calculates all the time! It’s so annoying, whatever I do, it has to recalculate. I don’t know how to turn this off; I have looked in the inspector, I have gone to the field itself in the manage database. Somewhere, I thought I had seen that in the box where one can also make a field global there was something about indexing? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
>
> thanks,
>
> Pia
>

> To see a World in a Grain of Sand
> And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
> Hold Infinity in the Palm of Your Hand
> And Eternity in an Hour.
> William Blake
>
> <http://www.piasworld.com>

Re: how to turn of "summarizing a field"

Michael Kupietz
I'd just put the summary on a secondary layout based on the same table
occurrence. When you want to see the total, have click a "display
totals" button to flip to the other layout.

If you don't want to keep having to update two near-identical layouts
whenever you edit layouts, just have the second layout be just a utility
layout with nothing but the summary field on it. Have the button run a
script that flips to the secondary layout, grabs the total in a
variable, comes back to the original layout, and either displays the
total in a custom dialog or plugs it in to an empty global field sitting
on the layout.

Mike

--
Michael E. Kupietz
IT consulting solutions for FileMaker Pro • Web • OS X