close and re-login

john renfrew-2
Suggestions for:

Closing linked files which are open but with no window, so on the window>show window menu not the window menu -  to re-log in to the parent file and at the same time re-login to the support files WITHOUT triggering the onOpen script in them???

Or graceful way to shut the parent and re-open it - as it logs in automatically as a guest user.

Cross platform ideas required.

File A references B, and C.

B and C each reference other files which only open if required (may be on a remote rather than local server) so not keen on creating links to every single file in the whole solution in file A

Thanks

john renfrew

Re: close and re-login

Tom Fitch
What's wrong with Close Window?

Tom Fitch
FileMaker Pro Certified Developer
Portland, Oregon

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 9:25 AM, john renfrew <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Suggestions for:
>

> Closing linked files which are open but with no window, so on the window>show window menu not the window menu -  to re-log in to the parent file and at the same time re-login to the support files WITHOUT triggering the onOpen script in them???
>

> Or graceful way to shut the parent and re-open it - as it logs in automatically as a guest user.
>
> Cross platform ideas required.
>

> File A references B, and C.
>
> B and C each reference other files which only open if required (may be on a remote rather than local server) so not keen on creating links to every single file in the whole solution in file A

Re: close and re-login

Richard DeShong
If the key is to avoid running the existing on-open script, then maybe
the solution is to create a more robust on-open script.

An example would be to use environment get functions to determine what
to do.  Maybe the script could "see" that other windows are open and
thus skip over some steps.

On 5/9/2017 12:16 PM, Tom Fitch wrote:

> What's wrong with Close Window?
>
> Tom Fitch
> FileMaker Pro Certified Developer
> Portland, Oregon
>

> On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 9:25 AM, john renfrew <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Suggestions for:
>>

>> Closing linked files which are open but with no window, so on the window>show window menu not the window menu -  to re-log in to the parent file and at the same time re-login to the support files WITHOUT triggering the onOpen script in them???
>>

>> Or graceful way to shut the parent and re-open it - as it logs in automatically as a guest user.
>>
>> Cross platform ideas required.
>>

>> File A references B, and C.
>>
>> B and C each reference other files which only open if required (may be on a remote rather than local server) so not keen on creating links to every single file in the whole solution in file A

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell

Re: close and re-login

Richard DeShong
Hi folks,

When I re-read my post, I felt that the 1st sentence might be
interpreted as a bit "snippy" or condescending.  So I would like to add:

I don't know what your on-open scripts are currently doing so,
obviously, I have no idea if they can be made more robust by accounting
for different startup scenarios.  So if you posted what they are doing,
maybe this group can come up with a solution.

On 5/9/2017 12:58 PM, Richard DeShong wrote:

> If the key is to avoid running the existing on-open script, then maybe
> the solution is to create a more robust on-open script.
>
> An example would be to use environment get functions to determine what
> to do.  Maybe the script could "see" that other windows are open and
> thus skip over some steps.
>

> On 5/9/2017 12:16 PM, Tom Fitch wrote:
>> What's wrong with Close Window?
>>
>> Tom Fitch
>> FileMaker Pro Certified Developer
>> Portland, Oregon
>>

>> On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 9:25 AM, john renfrew <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Suggestions for:
>>>

>>> Closing linked files which are open but with no window, so on the
>>> window>show window menu not the window menu -  to re-log in to the
>>> parent file and at the same time re-login to the support files
>>> WITHOUT triggering the onOpen script in them???
>>>

>>> Or graceful way to shut the parent and re-open it - as it logs in
>>> automatically as a guest user.
>>>
>>> Cross platform ideas required.
>>>

>>> File A references B, and C.
>>>
>>> B and C each reference other files which only open if required (may
>>> be on a remote rather than local server) so not keen on creating
>>> links to every single file in the whole solution in file A

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell

Re: close and re-login

Jimmy D. Jones
1) Are you using the re-login script step? If you are then have the primary's re-login script run the startup script in the second file passing a parameter that truncates the script instead of letting FMP open the file through the relationships and having the script run completely. It would still open a first window, but then branch and only Hide the file to remove it from the window menu.

2) If you are 'closing' the files and 'logging in (opening them again)' then there is no way to differentiate that you closed and opened the files or only opened them.

3) You can set a variable to "DatabaseNames" to retrieve a list of currently open files.
If only the Primary file is open then run the full "On First Window Open" script.
If the Primary and the secondary files are open then run a truncated script.
If all three files are open skip the script completely.

The opinions expressed in this email are my own and do not reflect those of my employer or anyone else.
Regards,
Ch0c0halic, FileMaker 14 Certified Developer
FileMaker Developer Conference 2017
July 24-26, 2017 • JW Marriott Desert Ridge, Phoenix, AZ
http://www.filemaker.com/learning/devcon/index.html