best way to safely "replace field contents" of a portal field?

best way to safely "replace field contents" of a portal field?

dealtek@gmail.com
FMP v15

In a master record, I show a child portal with 10 portal rows. I would like to replace a portal row field with "replace field contents" with the active field. When I click on the active field and try to replace, it says it will replace the field in the 20,000 records. So I stop.

I would think that "replace field contents" would just update the 10 portal rows in the current record - not ALL records, but I guess not.

I can just select the 1 master record first - then it fills just the 10 portal rows... but seems a bit odd behavior.

Seems like this could get users in trouble.

Probably a safe way would be to go to related record and update there - and return....

Any opinions how best to safely "replace field contents" of a portal field?

Dave - DealTek
[hidden email]
[db-17]

Re: best way to safely "replace field contents" of a portal field?

Jonathan Fletcher-2
Dave, you answered your own question.

Go To Related Record, change them there, and come back. Much more reliable, and you can also test when you get there that you are on the right records, have the correct record count, etc.

The GTRR has a New Window option, so you can even create an off-screen window (with negative offsets) to do the work and then just close it when it’s done. That way your context and any layout triggers won’t be disturbed.

Jonathan

> On Apr 19, 2017, at 6:40 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> FMP v15
>
> In a master record, I show a child portal with 10 portal rows. I would like to replace a portal row field with "replace field contents" with the active field. When I click on the active field and try to replace, it says it will replace the field in the 20,000 records. So I stop.
>
> I would think that "replace field contents" would just update the 10 portal rows in the current record - not ALL records, but I guess not.
>
> I can just select the 1 master record first - then it fills just the 10 portal rows... but seems a bit odd behavior.
>
> Seems like this could get users in trouble.
>
> Probably a safe way would be to go to related record and update there - and return....
>
> Any opinions how best to safely "replace field contents" of a portal field?

> Dave - DealTek
> [hidden email]
> [db-17]

Jonathan Fletcher
[hidden email]

Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
Next Meeting: 4/25/17

Sent from a device not known for spontaneous combustion