a problem with a printing layout

James Thomas-9
Dear all,

I have a problem with printing - it doesn't work.
I'm using Filemaker 11 Adv. Mac.

I created a new database with five tables, and let's say they are:
a. continents
b. countries
c. cities
d. suburbs
e. streets

I would like to print it all out as a taxonomy, say for an index.

On each table's layout there is a portal which shows the contents of the
level below it. So, for example, under each of the cities, I can see all of
its suburbs.

The problem, however, is setting up the print layout. I have done this sort
of thing before but somehow I've got stuck with this. In my trial and error
attempts, some aspects of it work but not always and not all. One recurring
problem is seeing only the first City under Country, for example. I do
realise that the Sort spec of each layout part has to correspond to the
sort performed. I've got that sorted at least.

Question 1: which table should be chosen for the printing layout?
Question 2: is it necessary to have relationships between the layout's
table and each of the other levels? Or is it enough to have the
relationships that already show the portal data as described above?
Question 3: should the lowest level be Body or Sub-summary?
Question 4: what else should I be asking?

Many thanks,

James

--

James Thomas
60200 Brno

Re: a problem with a printing layout

Mark Rubenstein
James,

Portals are not usually suitable for printing (there are exceptions, but I don’t think they apply to this case).
Generally speaking, you should print from a list view in the child table.
So, for instance, an invoice should print from the line items table, with each record in the body and the invoice header information (inv #, customer name, etc) in the header.

Your structure has multiple child levels, so you need to print from the lowest level; Streets.
You can probably use the relationships you already have.

Your layout parts would look like this:

Header (just for report title and generic info, no real data)
Subsummary by continent
Subsummary by country
Subsummary by city
Subsummary by suburb