XML and Unicode "OD" (carriage return)

Philip A. Femano, Ph.D.
I need to script the building of a .xml file, but the resulting file keeps generating an error when I publish it, apparently because char(13) gets converted to “OB” instead of “OD” in the resulting xml file. How can Filemaker generate a true character “OD” within a script so that the xml file works properly? The standard paragraph operator doesn’t code properly either. Thanks!

- Phil.

Re: XML and Unicode "OD" (carriage return)

Richard DeShong
One way:

Use a "temp" or "util" table and put each xml line into a new record.
Then export the records.

On 7/21/2017 1:36 PM, Philip A. Femano wrote:
> I need to script the building of a .xml file, but the resulting file keeps generating an error when I publish it, apparently because char(13) gets converted to “OB” instead of “OD” in the resulting xml file. How can Filemaker generate a true character “OD” within a script so that the xml file works properly? The standard paragraph operator doesn’t code properly either. Thanks!
>
> - Phil.

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell

Re: XML and Unicode "OD" (carriage return)

Karsten Wolf
"Export Field Contents" exports a text field as UTF-16. See:

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/15/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Fexport-field-contents.html%23

And there is always the "normal" way to produce XML: XML-export with a stylesheet.

-karsten

> Am 21.07.2017 um 22:36 schrieb Philip A. Femano <[hidden email]>:
>
> I need to script the building of a .xml file, but the resulting file keeps generating an error when I publish it, apparently because char(13) gets converted to “OB” instead of “OD” in the resulting xml file. How can Filemaker generate a true character “OD” within a script so that the xml file works properly? The standard paragraph operator doesn’t code properly either. Thanks!
>
> - Phil.

Re: XML and Unicode "OD" (carriage return)

Beverly Voth-3
Update on that. The Script Step still has "problems", thus these articles:
(before 16 and several methods):
* https://filemakerhacks.com/2012/09/23/export-field-contents-as-utf-8/
(16 new function to "fix"):
* https://filemakerhacks.com/2017/05/09/export-field-contents-update-for-fm-16/
Beverly

> On Jul 21, 2017, at 5:28 PM, Karsten Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> "Export Field Contents" exports a text field as UTF-16. See:
>
> https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/15/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Fexport-field-contents.html%23
>
> And there is always the "normal" way to produce XML: XML-export with a stylesheet.
>

> -karsten
>

>> Am 21.07.2017 um 22:36 schrieb Philip A. Femano <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> I need to script the building of a .xml file, but the resulting file keeps generating an error when I publish it, apparently because char(13) gets converted to “OB” instead of “OD” in the resulting xml file. How can Filemaker generate a true character “OD” within a script so that the xml file works properly? The standard paragraph operator doesn’t code properly either. Thanks!
>>
>> - Phil.

Re: XML and Unicode "OD" (carriage return)

Beverly Voth-3
Phil, one of the options in my first article is using a table to export. Perhaps the demo will help?
Beverly