Writing documentation in Filemaker

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Writing documentation in Filemaker

eric scheid-5
A client has suggested they want to write all their documentation in Filemaker, with different records for different procedures etc.

There would likely be a hierarchical organisation schema involved, as their current document is thusly arranged. (e.g. 25. Communications → 25.3 Processing returns from mail and email → 25.3.1 Why returns are processed).

The advantages they see in this is that it moves the content right in front of their users (they spend 80%+ of their time in filmmaker already), and we’d likely be able to link directly to relevant documentation via scripts on buttons.

Before I go reinventing the wheel yet again, has anyone seen any good templates for this kind of thing?

e.
_______________________________________________
FMPexperts mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ironclad.net.au/listinfo.cgi/fmpexperts-ironclad.net.au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Writing documentation in Filemaker

Beverly Voth-3
Is this perhaps a candidate for content in a Web Viewer with hyperlinks to other content? I did a Help file like that for a client.
Beverly

> On Aug 9, 2017, at 6:43 AM, Eric Scheid <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> A client has suggested they want to write all their documentation in Filemaker, with different records for different procedures etc.
>
> There would likely be a hierarchical organisation schema involved, as their current document is thusly arranged. (e.g. 25. Communications → 25.3 Processing returns from mail and email → 25.3.1 Why returns are processed).
>
> The advantages they see in this is that it moves the content right in front of their users (they spend 80%+ of their time in filmmaker already), and we’d likely be able to link directly to relevant documentation via scripts on buttons.
>
> Before I go reinventing the wheel yet again, has anyone seen any good templates for this kind of thing?
>
> e.
> _______________________________________________
> FMPexperts mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.ironclad.net.au/listinfo.cgi/fmpexperts-ironclad.net.au

_______________________________________________
FMPexperts mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ironclad.net.au/listinfo.cgi/fmpexperts-ironclad.net.au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Writing documentation in Filemaker

Simon Clement
In reply to this post by eric scheid-5
I've tried that approach but always come back to storing help content on
the web.

• Help content can be large. Incorporating images will blow out your
db size making everything from backups to updates unwieldy.

• Help content will lag behind any changes you make or if you wait until
all help content is up to date will slow deployment.

• Faux hyperlinking will quickly get messy and unmanageable.

I could go on but you get the picture. Best option I've found is using a
Wordpress template such as one of these.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/colorlib.com/wp/knowledge-base-wiki-faq-support-wordpress-themes/amp/


For a small price all the basic work has been done. You can ship updates
yet still keep working on help. Place help buttons on layouts set to flip
to a layout, or to load a card, where the user is taken straight to the
relevant chapter and page of an embedded web viewer.

Give the user the option to open in their browser as users often favour the
choice of help open in a seperate window.

Minimise management by hosting somewhere like Wordpress.com. Wordpress
makes it easy for users to add content

Simon

Simon Clement.

On Wednesday, 9 August 2017, Eric Scheid <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A client has suggested they want to write all their documentation in
> Filemaker, with different records for different procedures etc.
>
> There would likely be a hierarchical organisation schema involved, as
> their current document is thusly arranged. (e.g. 25. Communications → 25.3
> Processing returns from mail and email → 25.3.1 Why returns are processed).
>
> The advantages they see in this is that it moves the content right in
> front of their users (they spend 80%+ of their time in filmmaker already),
> and we’d likely be able to link directly to relevant documentation via
> scripts on buttons.
>
> Before I go reinventing the wheel yet again, has anyone seen any good
> templates for this kind of thing?
>
> e.
> _______________________________________________
> FMPexperts mailing list
> [hidden email] <javascript:;>
> http://lists.ironclad.net.au/listinfo.cgi/fmpexperts-ironclad.net.au
>
_______________________________________________
FMPexperts mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ironclad.net.au/listinfo.cgi/fmpexperts-ironclad.net.au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Writing documentation in Filemaker

Egon
I did some curriculum work for a school and opted for just making the content in HTML and CSS pages. Didn’t use a content management system and displayed it in a web viewer from the local FileMaker webserver.

My primary concern was the issues related to rendering in Windows vs. Mac/iPhone/iPad. Rendering it in a webveiwer made that irrelevant. And, it was much easier to maintain.

J. Hall
[hidden email]
713-409-0554

> On Aug 9, 2017, at 3:15 PM, Simon Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've tried that approach but always come back to storing help content on
> the web.
>
> • Help content can be large. Incorporating images will blow out your
> db size making everything from backups to updates unwieldy.
>
> • Help content will lag behind any changes you make or if you wait until
> all help content is up to date will slow deployment.
>
> • Faux hyperlinking will quickly get messy and unmanageable.
>
> I could go on but you get the picture. Best option I've found is using a
> Wordpress template such as one of these.
> https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/colorlib.com/wp/knowledge-base-wiki-faq-support-wordpress-themes/amp/
>
>
> For a small price all the basic work has been done. You can ship updates
> yet still keep working on help. Place help buttons on layouts set to flip
> to a layout, or to load a card, where the user is taken straight to the
> relevant chapter and page of an embedded web viewer.
>
> Give the user the option to open in their browser as users often favour the
> choice of help open in a seperate window.
>
> Minimise management by hosting somewhere like Wordpress.com. Wordpress
> makes it easy for users to add content
>
> Simon
>
> Simon Clement.
>
>> On Wednesday, 9 August 2017, Eric Scheid <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> A client has suggested they want to write all their documentation in
>> Filemaker, with different records for different procedures etc.
>>
>> There would likely be a hierarchical organisation schema involved, as
>> their current document is thusly arranged. (e.g. 25. Communications → 25.3
>> Processing returns from mail and email → 25.3.1 Why returns are processed).
>>
>> The advantages they see in this is that it moves the content right in
>> front of their users (they spend 80%+ of their time in filmmaker already),
>> and we’d likely be able to link directly to relevant documentation via
>> scripts on buttons.
>>
>> Before I go reinventing the wheel yet again, has anyone seen any good
>> templates for this kind of thing?
>>
>> e.
>> _______________________________________________
>> FMPexperts mailing list
>> [hidden email] <javascript:;>
>> http://lists.ironclad.net.au/listinfo.cgi/fmpexperts-ironclad.net.au
>>
> _______________________________________________
> FMPexperts mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.ironclad.net.au/listinfo.cgi/fmpexperts-ironclad.net.au
_______________________________________________
FMPexperts mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ironclad.net.au/listinfo.cgi/fmpexperts-ironclad.net.au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Writing documentation in Filemaker

tim ballering-2
In reply to this post by eric scheid-5
We tried this in FMP.  The results were not that robust.  Actually, they were downright not workable.  The problem is embedding images within text.

We looked at a lot of different other tools.  We chose  DocuWiki running on a web server

We like help files/documentation to be available in the context they are working in. We created buttons in our solution to take the person to the most logical page or group of pages from were they are working in.  They can also search the entire Wiki from there or option click the button to go to the index page.

It is easy for user added content and updates, but is password protected so only the right people are changing things.

Media Wiki (the one Wikipedia runs un) was also a contender, but the inserting images is not as good in my opinion.  We tried and really wanted to like the Wiki software that ships with Mac OS Server, but there does not seem to be a good method of back up and incremental restore.  

With DocuWiki you can back it up as you would any static website as the pages created are stored as text files and all the images and videos are in a folder (named media)

And the price of DokuWiki - free, which is far less than your development time for what probably would be an inferior solution to documentation or help files.

Tim Ballering
[hidden email]



> On Aug 9, 2017, at 6:43 AM, Eric Scheid <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> A client has suggested they want to write all their documentation in Filemaker, with different records for different procedures etc.
>
> There would likely be a hierarchical organisation schema involved, as their current document is thusly arranged. (e.g. 25. Communications → 25.3 Processing returns from mail and email → 25.3.1 Why returns are processed).
>
> The advantages they see in this is that it moves the content right in front of their users (they spend 80%+ of their time in filmmaker already), and we’d likely be able to link directly to relevant documentation via scripts on buttons.
>
> Before I go reinventing the wheel yet again, has anyone seen any good templates for this kind of thing?
>
> e.
> _______________________________________________
> FMPexperts mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.ironclad.net.au/listinfo.cgi/fmpexperts-ironclad.net.au

_______________________________________________
FMPexperts mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ironclad.net.au/listinfo.cgi/fmpexperts-ironclad.net.au
Loading...