What is the best way to convert the filemaker v11 files to v15?

What is the best way to convert the filemaker v11 files to v15?

dealtek@gmail.com
Hi all,

I have a multi file solution (50 + files) that totals about 4 gigs (mostly text - no containers).

This is currently in fm v11. Using the Mac El Capitan OS.

Q: What is the best way to convert the filemaker v11 files to v15?

Someone mentioned that the best way was to first convert them in the Filemaker v12 App. (Something special ?) Then go ahead and open them in v15 after that.

Is there some special reason to do the first conversion in v12 or is it ok to just do the conversion directly in v15?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Dave - DealTek
[hidden email]
[db-17]

Re: What is the best way to convert the filemaker v11 files to v15?

Beverly Voth-3

* http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10687/~/filemaker-conversion-path-for-all-versions
I went from 11 to 15 for a client with no problems, but use the advice of the kb
beverly

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 5:03 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have a multi file solution (50 + files) that totals about 4 gigs (mostly text - no containers).
>
> This is currently in fm v11. Using the Mac El Capitan OS.
>
> Q: What is the best way to convert the filemaker v11 files to v15?
>
> Someone mentioned that the best way was to first convert them in the Filemaker v12 App. (Something special ?) Then go ahead and open them in v15 after that.
>
> Is there some special reason to do the first conversion in v12 or is it ok to just do the conversion directly in v15?
>
> Any other tips would be appreciated.

> Dave - DealTek
> [hidden email]
> [db-17]

Re: What is the best way to convert the filemaker v11 files to v15?

dealtek@gmail.com
Hi Beverly,

Thanks much for the link.

Oddly, it does say to use FileMaker Pro 12. I can do this easily, just curious of there is some special reason for v12?

quote...
Convert .fp7 file to FileMaker Pro 12, use “Conversion Overview” within FileMaker Help Menu

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 2:14 PM, BEVERLY VOTH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> * http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10687/~/filemaker-conversion-path-for-all-versions
> I went from 11 to 15 for a client with no problems, but use the advice of the kb
> beverly
>

>> On Apr 17, 2017, at 5:03 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a multi file solution (50 + files) that totals about 4 gigs (mostly text - no containers).
>>
>> This is currently in fm v11. Using the Mac El Capitan OS.
>>
>> Q: What is the best way to convert the filemaker v11 files to v15?
>>
>> Someone mentioned that the best way was to first convert them in the Filemaker v12 App. (Something special ?) Then go ahead and open them in v15 after that.
>>
>> Is there some special reason to do the first conversion in v12 or is it ok to just do the conversion directly in v15?
>>
>> Any other tips would be appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Dave - DealTek
>> [hidden email]
>> [db-17]

Dave - DealTek
[hidden email]
[db-17]

Re: What is the best way to convert the filemaker v11 files to v15?

Beverly Voth-3
Yeah, I have FMPAdvanced 12 and there is no "Conversion Overview" in the menu...
There is a "Converting files from FileMaker Pro 11 and earlier" help topic. And in there is the link to "Conversion Overview". Here is what that says:
=== plain text copy ===
Conversion overview
Before you convert any FileMaker Pro database, you should plan the conversion carefully. The general steps for file conversion are:
1.
Convert the database file.
2.
Review the Conversion.log file.
3.
Test your converted database.
4.
Use the converted file.
FileMaker Pro 12 can only convert files created with versions 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, and 11.x. (To convert files earlier than FileMaker Pro 7, see Converting FileMaker Pro databases earlier than version 7.x.)
When you convert files, FileMaker Pro 12 preserves the contents of your original files and creates new, converted files in FileMaker Pro 12 format. The content of the original files are not modified, and you can open them in the previous version of FileMaker Pro that created them. The converted files can be opened only in FileMaker Pro 12.
You can convert a single file or convert multiple files at once:
Use the single-file conversion method for stand-alone database files that don’t display related data from other files. See Converting a single file.
Use the multiple-file conversion method to convert all the files in a relational database. See Converting multiple files at once.
Note  Any FileMaker Pro application preferences remaining from prior installs of earlier versions of FileMaker Pro are ignored. The installer does no conversion work.
===
and the link to:
=== more copy from FMP 12 help ===
Converting multiple files at once
FileMaker Pro 12 can convert multiple files at the same time. You should use the multi-file conversion method when you need to convert a database composed of multiple related files, or you simply have many FileMaker Pro files that you want to quickly convert without being prompted to individually rename each file.
When you convert multiple files at the same time, FileMaker Pro prompts you to specify a folder where you want the converted files to be saved, leaving your original files unchanged. FileMaker Pro automatically names each converted file without prompting you. FileMaker Pro won’t overwrite any existing files in the folder. Instead, it adds a number to the end of the filename, and increments that number if necessary until a unique name is found.
There are several ways to select the files that you want to convert; you can drag and drop the files (or a folder containing the files) onto the FileMaker Pro 12 application icon, or you can select multiple files in the FileMaker Pro Open dialog box.
Note  If a filename includes a period (.), other than the one that precedes the filename extension, remove it. If a period exists in a filename, FileMaker Pro won’t add the .fmp12 extension to the converted file.
To convert multiple files at once:
1.
If the files you want to convert are currently open in the previous version of FileMaker Pro, close the files.
If you attempt to convert files that are currently open, an alert message will appear indicating that the files are already in use, and they won’t convert.
2.
In Windows Explorer or in a Finder window (Mac OS) create a new, empty folder for the converted files.
3.
Do one of the following to select and open the files you want to convert:
Files method: In Windows Explorer or in a Finder window (Mac OS) select the files you want to convert, then drag them onto the FileMaker Pro 12 application icon.
Folder method: If a folder contains all of the files you want to convert, drag the folder onto the FileMaker Pro 12 application icon.
Note  When multiple files from separate folders are converted, all converted files are created in the same folder. The original files’ locations are not preserved. To make converting files easier, convert all the files from a multi-file relational database at the same time. After the conversion, you can move either set of files into a duplicate of your original file structure.
Example of how files in a multi-file relational database are converted into one folder
Open dialog box method: In FileMaker Pro 12, choose File menu > Open, and select the files you want to convert in the Open dialog box by holding down Ctrl (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) and clicking each file. (You can also select a range of adjacent files by clicking the first file and then Shift-clicking the last file in the range.) Then click Open.
The Open Multiple Files dialog box appears.
4.
Choose Open all files and convert when necessary.
5.
Click Specify, choose the folder you created in step 2 where you want to save the converted files, and click OK (Windows) or Choose (Mac OS).
Important  Do not choose a folder that contains any of your original files. If you do, then converted files may be renamed (by appending a number to the filename) to prevent the converted files from replacing the original files. This renaming of files could cause data sources (formerly known as file references) to convert improperly, which affects relationships and other features that rely on data sources.
6.
Click Open in the Open Multiple files dialog box to start the conversion.
During a prolonged conversion, the File Format Conversion dialog box will appear and show the conversion progress. If a file being converted contains indexed fields, you can save time by clicking Skip when the index is being re-created, which postpones indexing until later.
FileMaker Pro 12 creates converted files in the folder you specified and opens them, leaving your original files unchanged. The filename extension .fmp12 is added to all converted files.
7.
Using a text editor such as Notepad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac OS), open the Conversion.log file located in the folder that contains your converted database files.
The Conversion.log file contains a journal of the conversion process that you just completed. Much of it contains status messages that indicate the different file components that were converted. But it also may contain error messages that indicate areas where you may need to make manual corrections to the converted files before testing them further.
Note  If you later need to convert the same files again, make sure you convert the files into an empty folder; move or delete any files from the previous conversion attempt, or create a new folder for the next conversion. This prevents converted files from being renamed during the next conversion, which could cause data sources (formerly known as file references) to convert improperly.
====

I'll print all these conversion topics to PDF, if you email me back channel and need them.

beverly

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 5:18 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi Beverly,
>
> Thanks much for the link.
>
> Oddly, it does say to use FileMaker Pro 12. I can do this easily, just curious of there is some special reason for v12?
>

> quote...
> Convert .fp7 file to FileMaker Pro 12, use “Conversion Overview” within FileMaker Help Menu
>

>> On Apr 17, 2017, at 2:14 PM, BEVERLY VOTH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> * http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10687/~/filemaker-conversion-path-for-all-versions
>> I went from 11 to 15 for a client with no problems, but use the advice of the kb
>> beverly
>>

>>> On Apr 17, 2017, at 5:03 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a multi file solution (50 + files) that totals about 4 gigs (mostly text - no containers).
>>>
>>> This is currently in fm v11. Using the Mac El Capitan OS.
>>>
>>> Q: What is the best way to convert the filemaker v11 files to v15?
>>>
>>> Someone mentioned that the best way was to first convert them in the Filemaker v12 App. (Something special ?) Then go ahead and open them in v15 after that.
>>>
>>> Is there some special reason to do the first conversion in v12 or is it ok to just do the conversion directly in v15?
>>>
>>> Any other tips would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave - DealTek
>>> [hidden email]
>>> [db-17]

> Dave - DealTek
> [hidden email]
> [db-17]

RE: What is the best way to convert the FileMaker v11 files to v15?

Jonn Howell at DataExperience
I convert FM-11 to FM-15 all day long. I am paid to do just that.

Open then in FM-15, then test each file for functionality.
If there was IWP, then you may have some WebDirect optimization on your
hands.

It's good to have an analysis tool, like Inspector, FMPerception or FMDiff
to look for corruption. But at the least, save each file as a compressed
copy once converted to FM-15, and test by beginning a recover, and just
using the "Check Consistency" option at bottom.

Thanks,

Jonn

Jonn Howell
DataExperience, Inc.
Certified FileMaker Developer
dba Bootcamp for FileMaker
[hidden email]
www.dataexperience.com
www.youtube.com/dataexperience

Re: What is the best way to convert the filemaker v11 files to v15?

Jimmy D. Jones
The articles about conversion were mostly written when FMP12 was released. So the articles only refer to using FMP12. However, that does not mean you cannot use a later version to do the conversion. FMI, as far as I know, does not rewrite articles for newer versions unless there is something specific about the newer version that changes behavior or GUI images.

If the changes are significant I've sometimes seen a new article with a reference link to the 'other' article.

If you see  FMP15 under the articles version applicability then it's been added to show the article also applies when using FMP15. You can usually replace FMP12 references with FMP15 and it performs the same.

___________
The opinions expressed in this email are my own and do not reflect those of my employer or anyone else.
Regards,
Ch0c0halic, FileMaker 14 Certified Developer
FileMaker Developer Conference 2017
July 24-26, 2017 • JW Marriott Desert Ridge, Phoenix, AZ
http://www.filemaker.com/learning/devcon/index.html

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 2:18 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi Beverly,
>
> Thanks much for the link.
>
> Oddly, it does say to use FileMaker Pro 12. I can do this easily, just curious of there is some special reason for v12?
>

> quote...
> Convert .fp7 file to FileMaker Pro 12, use “Conversion Overview” within FileMaker Help Menu
>

>> On Apr 17, 2017, at 2:14 PM, BEVERLY VOTH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> * http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10687/~/filemaker-conversion-path-for-all-versions
>> I went from 11 to 15 for a client with no problems, but use the advice of the kb
>> beverly
>>

>>> On Apr 17, 2017, at 5:03 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a multi file solution (50 + files) that totals about 4 gigs (mostly text - no containers).
>>>
>>> This is currently in fm v11. Using the Mac El Capitan OS.
>>>
>>> Q: What is the best way to convert the filemaker v11 files to v15?
>>>
>>> Someone mentioned that the best way was to first convert them in the Filemaker v12 App. (Something special ?) Then go ahead and open them in v15 after that.
>>>
>>> Is there some special reason to do the first conversion in v12 or is it ok to just do the conversion directly in v15?
>>>
>>> Any other tips would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave - DealTek
>>> [hidden email]
>>> [db-17]

> Dave - DealTek
> [hidden email]
> [db-17]

Re: What is the best way to convert the FileMaker v11 files to v15?

dealtek@gmail.com
Thank you John for the info.

> But at the least, save each file as a compressed
> copy once converted to FM-15, and test by beginning a recover, and just
> using the "Check Consistency" option at bottom.

Good Idea. And just a question: is there any need to save a compressed copy in v11 *BEFORE* I convert also - or just afterwards in v15?

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 2:57 PM, Jonn Howell at DataExperience <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I convert FM-11 to FM-15 all day long. I am paid to do just that.
>
> Open then in FM-15, then test each file for functionality.
> If there was IWP, then you may have some WebDirect optimization on your
> hands.
>
> It's good to have an analysis tool, like Inspector, FMPerception or FMDiff
> to look for corruption. But at the least, save each file as a compressed
> copy once converted to FM-15, and test by beginning a recover, and just
> using the "Check Consistency" option at bottom.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonn
>

> Jonn Howell
> DataExperience, Inc.
> Certified FileMaker Developer
> dba Bootcamp for FileMaker
> [hidden email]
> www.dataexperience.com
> www.youtube.com/dataexperience
> 805-368-4748

Lee Smith-3
You might find this article by Tod Geist helpful,

https://www.geistinteractive.com/checklist-moving-filemaker-code/

Lee

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 3:06 PM, Jimmy D. Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The articles about conversion were mostly written when FMP12 was released. So the articles only refer to using FMP12. However, that does not mean you cannot use a later version to do the conversion. FMI, as far as I know, does not rewrite articles for newer versions unless there is something specific about the newer version that changes behavior or GUI images.
>
> If the changes are significant I've sometimes seen a new article with a reference link to the 'other' article.
>
> If you see  FMP15 under the articles version applicability then it's been added to show the article also applies when using FMP15. You can usually replace FMP12 references with FMP15 and it performs the same.
>
> ___________
> The opinions expressed in this email are my own and do not reflect those of my employer or anyone else.
> Regards,
> Ch0c0halic, FileMaker 14 Certified Developer
> FileMaker Developer Conference 2017
> July 24-26, 2017 • JW Marriott Desert Ridge, Phoenix, AZ
> http://www.filemaker.com/learning/devcon/index.html
>
>> On Apr 17, 2017, at 2:18 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Hi Beverly,
>>
>> Thanks much for the link.
>>
>> Oddly, it does say to use FileMaker Pro 12. I can do this easily, just curious of there is some special reason for v12?
>>

>> quote...
>> Convert .fp7 file to FileMaker Pro 12, use “Conversion Overview” within FileMaker Help Menu
>>

>>> On Apr 17, 2017, at 2:14 PM, BEVERLY VOTH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> * http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10687/~/filemaker-conversion-path-for-all-versions
>>> I went from 11 to 15 for a client with no problems, but use the advice of the kb
>>> beverly

>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Dave - DealTek
>> [hidden email]
>> [db-17]

Re: What is the best way to convert the filemaker v11 files to v15?

Ben Levitan LLC
There is no good way.  It's agonizing!  But thanks for the article.
I"m in this process now.

Ben
sent from my IBM Selectric Typewriter

Re: What is the best way to convert the filemaker v11 files to v15?

Beverly Voth-3
refer to Jimmy's reply and my first answer: I have moved clients from 11 directly to 15. do not pass go, do not collect FMP 12 along the way... :)

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 7:32 PM, Ben Levitan LLC <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is no good way.  It's agonizing!  But thanks for the article.
> I"m in this process now.
>

> Ben
> sent from my IBM Selectric Typewriter

Much thanks to all for the helpful info!!!!

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 5:13 PM, BEVERLY VOTH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> refer to Jimmy's reply and my first answer: I have moved clients from 11 directly to 15. do not pass go, do not collect FMP 12 along the way... :)
>
>> On Apr 17, 2017, at 7:32 PM, Ben Levitan LLC <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> There is no good way.  It's agonizing!  But thanks for the article.
>> I"m in this process now.
>>

>> Ben
>> sent from my IBM Selectric Typewriter

Mike Duncan
I would add to the other responses you have received and also say that
there are a few other considerations:

• Plugin compatibility. Also watch for 32 vs 64 bit on Win.
• OS level scripting
• ODBC connections that may need updated drivers
• Remotely hosted files that may need to come along for the ride
• Any IWP that needs converted to WebD
• CWP that may need updated PHP API

Those are off the top of my head, I may be missing some. And after
converting, you will find that all layouts have the "Classic" theme
applied, and you may want to change that to optimize layout. That can be a
lot of work, but you can benefit a lot from that alone.

Other than that, the conversion from 11 to 15 should go extremely smooth,
without much risk to incompatible script steps and such.

You could also consider setting up a parallel environment to do in a
blue/green deployment, but this is not usually required, and can have it's
own risks.

Hope this helps!
Mike