What is the Best way to Import Images into FMP v15 (Mac) for Simple Local File Usage

What is the Best way to Import Images into FMP v15 (Mac) for Simple Local File Usage

dealtek@gmail.com
Hi all,

- using FMP v15

I have a simple local Mac Filemaker file where I want to be able to import images easily.

What is the best way to import images that will get directly stored in a container field?
(Most will be imported one at a time. - In this case we do not need to store a reference to the file – just the actual image directly in the FMP container field.)

Can we use simple Dragon drop from the finder?

Can we use simple copy and paste from the clipboard? (I see that the filename gets lost using this method)

What about the user taking a picture on an iPhone - then it goes to the Mac Photos App (maybe with photo stream) and then somehow importing that photo easily into Filemaker?

(I am already aware of folder import which would be nice method also)

Is there any benefits for using one method over another?

Dave - DealTek
[hidden email]
[db-17]

Re: What is the Best way to Import Images into FMP v15 (Mac) for Simple Local File Usage

Jonathan Fletcher-2
Yes, Dave, you can drag a file onto an editable container field. Copy-paste also works. Only one, though. Of course.

On an iPhone you tap on the field and a dialog comes up asking you what you want to do and then you can choose the camera, among other options. It does not go to the Photos app, unless you manually send it there. Another approach is to take it with the camera normally to put it into Photos and then use the From Photos option when you tap on the container field in your Go app.

Which method you use depends on the specific needs of the use case.

jj

> On Mar 31, 2017, at 4:32 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> - using FMP v15
>
> I have a simple local Mac Filemaker file where I want to be able to import images easily.
>
> What is the best way to import images that will get directly stored in a container field?
> (Most will be imported one at a time. - In this case we do not need to store a reference to the file – just the actual image directly in the FMP container field.)
>
> Can we use simple Dragon drop from the finder?
>
> Can we use simple copy and paste from the clipboard? (I see that the filename gets lost using this method)
>
> What about the user taking a picture on an iPhone - then it goes to the Mac Photos App (maybe with photo stream) and then somehow importing that photo easily into Filemaker?
>
> (I am already aware of folder import which would be nice method also)
>
> Is there any benefits for using one method over another?

> Dave - DealTek
> [hidden email]
> [db-17]

Jonathan Fletcher
[hidden email]

Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
Next Meeting: 3/28/16

Sent from a device not known for spontaneous combustion