Weird problem

Paul Sandwijk-2
Hi experts,

My client upgraded this week to FMP 16 and now experiences weird
problems in the performance of their database, which is hosted on my FMS
15 in a data warehouse:

In their database with training groups and participants, at some moments
the wrong participants are shown in the wrong group. Or a participant
unexpectedly shows up as a trainer instead of as a participant (trainers
are also present in the person database).

When I'm looking at the same database from my own location with FMP 15A
or 16, all information is correctly shown.
I cannot reproduce their problem. At the data level nothing is wrong.

Before, my client was working with FMP 11 (database hosted on FMS 11),
with no problems.

What can be the cause of their problem?
Their internet connection is much slower than mine, and it's a
considerable big database.
Can the internet speed be responsible for such unexpected behavior?

Client is experiencing this problem on several computers, iMac and
macBooks, not too old.

I'm open to any idea; I really have no idea what to look for.

Paul

Re: Weird problem

Rodney Ang
To identify the problem, at least you need to reproduce the problem under similar situations.

Yours faithfully,
Rodney Ang 😎
Blue Bay Interactive Pte Ltd
Certified FileMaker Developer

> On 12 Jul 2017, at 04:40, Paul Sandwijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi experts,
>
> My client upgraded this week to FMP 16 and now experiences weird problems in the performance of their database, which is hosted on my FMS 15 in a data warehouse:
>
> In their database with training groups and participants, at some moments the wrong participants are shown in the wrong group. Or a participant unexpectedly shows up as a trainer instead of as a participant (trainers are also present in the person database).
>
> When I'm looking at the same database from my own location with FMP 15A or 16, all information is correctly shown.
> I cannot reproduce their problem. At the data level nothing is wrong.
>
> Before, my client was working with FMP 11 (database hosted on FMS 11), with no problems.
>
> What can be the cause of their problem?
> Their internet connection is much slower than mine, and it's a considerable big database.
> Can the internet speed be responsible for such unexpected behavior?
>
> Client is experiencing this problem on several computers, iMac and macBooks, not too old.
>
> I'm open to any idea; I really have no idea what to look for.
>
> Paul

Re: Weird problem

Richard DeShong
Sounds like the cache problem.  Have the user exit FM, then delete all
of the FM temp files.

On 7/11/2017 5:02 PM, Rodney Ang wrote:

> To identify the problem, at least you need to reproduce the problem under similar situations.

> Yours faithfully,
> Rodney Ang 😎
> Blue Bay Interactive Pte Ltd
> Certified FileMaker Developer
>
>> On 12 Jul 2017, at 04:40, Paul Sandwijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi experts,
>>
>> My client upgraded this week to FMP 16 and now experiences weird problems in the performance of their database, which is hosted on my FMS 15 in a data warehouse:
>>
>> In their database with training groups and participants, at some moments the wrong participants are shown in the wrong group. Or a participant unexpectedly shows up as a trainer instead of as a participant (trainers are also present in the person database).
>>
>> When I'm looking at the same database from my own location with FMP 15A or 16, all information is correctly shown.
>> I cannot reproduce their problem. At the data level nothing is wrong.
>>
>> Before, my client was working with FMP 11 (database hosted on FMS 11), with no problems.
>>
>> What can be the cause of their problem?
>> Their internet connection is much slower than mine, and it's a considerable big database.
>> Can the internet speed be responsible for such unexpected behavior?
>>
>> Client is experiencing this problem on several computers, iMac and macBooks, not too old.
>>
>> I'm open to any idea; I really have no idea what to look for.
>>
>> Paul

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell

Re: Weird problem

Beatrice Beaubien
Hi Paul,

I suggest submitting this as a "Report a Product Issue" in the FIleMaker Community.

https://community.filemaker.com/community/discussions/report-an-issue

Best wishes,

Beatrice

> On Jul 11, 2017, at 16:40, Paul Sandwijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi experts,
>
> My client upgraded this week to FMP 16 and now experiences weird problems in the performance of their database, which is hosted on my FMS 15 in a data warehouse:
>
> In their database with training groups and participants, at some moments the wrong participants are shown in the wrong group. Or a participant unexpectedly shows up as a trainer instead of as a participant (trainers are also present in the person database).
>
> When I'm looking at the same database from my own location with FMP 15A or 16, all information is correctly shown.
> I cannot reproduce their problem. At the data level nothing is wrong.
>
> Before, my client was working with FMP 11 (database hosted on FMS 11), with no problems.
>
> What can be the cause of their problem?
> Their internet connection is much slower than mine, and it's a considerable big database.
> Can the internet speed be responsible for such unexpected behavior?
>
> Client is experiencing this problem on several computers, iMac and macBooks, not too old.
>
> I'm open to any idea; I really have no idea what to look for.
>
> Paul

Re: Weird problem

Paul Sandwijk-2
Of course that's what I try to do, but the manifestation of the problem
appears to be random: different names (records) are being 'switched'
each session. (However, during a session it appears to be consistently
wrong.)
After a restart of FMP, everything turns out to be fine. Until at some
later moment the problem shows up again, this time with other names. But
there's no fixed 'route' to make the problems appear.

The only consistent thing is that it happens at my client's computers,
either at their office or at their home.
Both happen to have a rather slow internet connection.
It doesn't happen at my home location (which is not the same as the
server location), where I have a fast internet connection.
For that reason I'm interested if that is a known problem: that a slow
internet connection can cause more than just a slow performance: a wrong
performance!

Or is it a cache problem?

On 12/07/2017 02:02, Rodney Ang wrote:

> To identify the problem, at least you need to reproduce the problem under similar situations.

> Yours faithfully,
> Rodney Ang 😎
> Blue Bay Interactive Pte Ltd
> Certified FileMaker Developer
>
>> On 12 Jul 2017, at 04:40, Paul Sandwijk<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> Hi experts,
>>
>> My client upgraded this week to FMP 16 and now experiences weird problems in the performance of their database, which is hosted on my FMS 15 in a data warehouse:
>>
>> In their database with training groups and participants, at some moments the wrong participants are shown in the wrong group. Or a participant unexpectedly shows up as a trainer instead of as a participant (trainers are also present in the person database).
>>
>> When I'm looking at the same database from my own location with FMP 15A or 16, all information is correctly shown.
>> I cannot reproduce their problem. At the data level nothing is wrong.
>>
>> Before, my client was working with FMP 11 (database hosted on FMS 11), with no problems.
>>
>> What can be the cause of their problem?
>> Their internet connection is much slower than mine, and it's a considerable big database.
>> Can the internet speed be responsible for such unexpected behavior?
>>
>> Client is experiencing this problem on several computers, iMac and macBooks, not too old.
>>
>> I'm open to any idea; I really have no idea what to look for.
>>
>> Paul

Re: Weird problem

Paul Sandwijk-2
Hi Richard,

The cache is indeed one of the dimensions that I considered. I tried
changing the cache size in Pref…, but that didn't help.
Now you mention the FM temp files, but I don't know where to find these.

Do you mean the location that is shown when I ask for Get(TemporaryPath)?
I get the impression that this is not the location where the caches are
stored, as during my work in the database no files appear here. (I know
I can store output files like pdf's here.)

Or do you mean Library > Application Support > FileMaker > FileMaker Pro
 > 16.0?
Here some .pem files show (root certificates?).

Thanks,
Paul

On 12/07/2017 22:14, Richard DeShong wrote:

> Sounds like the cache problem.  Have the user exit FM, then delete all
> of the FM temp files.
>

> On 7/11/2017 5:02 PM, Rodney Ang wrote:
>> To identify the problem, at least you need to reproduce the problem
>> under similar situations.

>> Yours faithfully,
>> Rodney Ang 😎
>> Blue Bay Interactive Pte Ltd
>> Certified FileMaker Developer
>>
>>> On 12 Jul 2017, at 04:40, Paul Sandwijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi experts,
>>>
>>> My client upgraded this week to FMP 16 and now experiences weird
>>> problems in the performance of their database, which is hosted on my
>>> FMS 15 in a data warehouse:
>>>
>>> In their database with training groups and participants, at some
>>> moments the wrong participants are shown in the wrong group. Or a
>>> participant unexpectedly shows up as a trainer instead of as a
>>> participant (trainers are also present in the person database).
>>>
>>> When I'm looking at the same database from my own location with FMP
>>> 15A or 16, all information is correctly shown.
>>> I cannot reproduce their problem. At the data level nothing is wrong.
>>>
>>> Before, my client was working with FMP 11 (database hosted on FMS
>>> 11), with no problems.
>>>
>>> What can be the cause of their problem?
>>> Their internet connection is much slower than mine, and it's a
>>> considerable big database.
>>> Can the internet speed be responsible for such unexpected behavior?
>>>
>>> Client is experiencing this problem on several computers, iMac and
>>> macBooks, not too old.
>>>
>>> I'm open to any idea; I really have no idea what to look for.
>>>
>>> Paul

Re: Weird problem

Paul Sandwijk-2
I will do that.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Paul

On 13/07/2017 03:34, Beatrice Beaubien wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> I suggest submitting this as a "Report a Product Issue" in the FIleMaker Community.
>
> https://community.filemaker.com/community/discussions/report-an-issue
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Beatrice
>

>> On Jul 11, 2017, at 16:40, Paul Sandwijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi experts,
>>
>> My client upgraded this week to FMP 16 and now experiences weird problems in the performance of their database, which is hosted on my FMS 15 in a data warehouse:
>>
>> In their database with training groups and participants, at some moments the wrong participants are shown in the wrong group. Or a participant unexpectedly shows up as a trainer instead of as a participant (trainers are also present in the person database).
>>
>> When I'm looking at the same database from my own location with FMP 15A or 16, all information is correctly shown.
>> I cannot reproduce their problem. At the data level nothing is wrong.
>>
>> Before, my client was working with FMP 11 (database hosted on FMS 11), with no problems.
>>
>> What can be the cause of their problem?
>> Their internet connection is much slower than mine, and it's a considerable big database.
>> Can the internet speed be responsible for such unexpected behavior?
>>
>> Client is experiencing this problem on several computers, iMac and macBooks, not too old.
>>
>> I'm open to any idea; I really have no idea what to look for.
>>
>> Paul

Re: Weird problem

Stefan Schütt
Hi Paul,

Haave you checked FMP 16 updates?  16.0.2 is available. I think there was a mentioning of a fix of a problem that sounds like your problem.

Stefan - on the road again

> Paul Sandwijk <[hidden email]> kirjoitti 13.7.2017 kello 12.43:
>
> I will do that.
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> Paul
>
>> On 13/07/2017 03:34, Beatrice Beaubien wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> I suggest submitting this as a "Report a Product Issue" in the FIleMaker Community.
>>
>> https://community.filemaker.com/community/discussions/report-an-issue
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Beatrice
>>

>>> On Jul 11, 2017, at 16:40, Paul Sandwijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi experts,
>>>
>>> My client upgraded this week to FMP 16 and now experiences weird problems in the performance of their database, which is hosted on my FMS 15 in a data warehouse:
>>>
>>> In their database with training groups and participants, at some moments the wrong participants are shown in the wrong group. Or a participant unexpectedly shows up as a trainer instead of as a participant (trainers are also present in the person database).
>>>
>>> When I'm looking at the same database from my own location with FMP 15A or 16, all information is correctly shown.
>>> I cannot reproduce their problem. At the data level nothing is wrong.
>>>
>>> Before, my client was working with FMP 11 (database hosted on FMS 11), with no problems.
>>>
>>> What can be the cause of their problem?
>>> Their internet connection is much slower than mine, and it's a considerable big database.
>>> Can the internet speed be responsible for such unexpected behavior?
>>>
>>> Client is experiencing this problem on several computers, iMac and macBooks, not too old.
>>>
>>> I'm open to any idea; I really have no idea what to look for.
>>>
>>> Paul

Re: Weird problem

Paul Sandwijk-2
Hi Stefan,

I just had the same idea, so updated their FMP to 16.0.2 ten minutes ago.
Don't know yet if problem is over, I'll keep my fingers crossed and will
check the documentation of the update.

Thanks,
Paul

On 13/07/2017 12:08, Stefan Schütt wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Haave you checked FMP 16 updates?  16.0.2 is available. I think there was a mentioning of a fix of a problem that sounds like your problem.
>
> Stefan - on the road again
>
>> Paul Sandwijk <[hidden email]> kirjoitti 13.7.2017 kello 12.43:
>>
>> I will do that.
>> Thanks for your suggestion.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>>> On 13/07/2017 03:34, Beatrice Beaubien wrote:
>>> Hi Paul,
>>>
>>> I suggest submitting this as a "Report a Product Issue" in the FIleMaker Community.
>>>
>>> https://community.filemaker.com/community/discussions/report-an-issue
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> Beatrice

Re: Weird problem

Paul Sandwijk-2
Most certainly the update to FMP 16.0.2 is the solution to this weird
problem.
The update release notes said:

  * Under certain conditions, ESS-based tables displayed incorrect records.

This is exactly what happened. The db contained tables from MySQL.
Problem solved.

Thanks everyone. No need to report a product issue (this must have been
done before).

Paul

On 13/07/2017 12:24, Paul Sandwijk wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> I just had the same idea, so updated their FMP to 16.0.2 ten minutes ago.
> Don't know yet if problem is over, I'll keep my fingers crossed and
> will check the documentation of the update.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>

> On 13/07/2017 12:08, Stefan Schütt wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> Haave you checked FMP 16 updates?  16.0.2 is available. I think there
>> was a mentioning of a fix of a problem that sounds like your problem.
>>
>> Stefan - on the road again
>>
>>> Paul Sandwijk <[hidden email]> kirjoitti 13.7.2017 kello 12.43:
>>>
>>> I will do that.
>>> Thanks for your suggestion.
>>>
>>> Paul

Re: Weird problem

Richard DeShong
re: No need to report a product issue

Yes, there was a report related to ESS tables that seems like your report:
https://community.filemaker.com/thread/175460

On 7/13/2017 7:17 AM, Paul Sandwijk wrote:

> Most certainly the update to FMP 16.0.2 is the solution to this weird
> problem.
> The update release notes said:
>
>  * Under certain conditions, ESS-based tables displayed incorrect
> records.
>
> This is exactly what happened. The db contained tables from MySQL.
> Problem solved.
>
> Thanks everyone. No need to report a product issue (this must have
> been done before).
>
> Paul
>
> On 13/07/2017 12:24, Paul Sandwijk wrote:
>> Hi Stefan,
>>
>> I just had the same idea, so updated their FMP to 16.0.2 ten minutes
>> ago.
>> Don't know yet if problem is over, I'll keep my fingers crossed and
>> will check the documentation of the update.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>>

>> On 13/07/2017 12:08, Stefan Schütt wrote:
>>> Hi Paul,
>>>
>>> Haave you checked FMP 16 updates?  16.0.2 is available. I think
>>> there was a mentioning of a fix of a problem that sounds like your
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Stefan - on the road again

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell

Re: Weird problem

Richard DeShong
Hi Paul,

I knew about an ESS issue with 16, but since you did not mention in your
O.P. that it was using ESS, I jumped to an older issue related to a
change in the FM client cache functionality that was introduced in v.15.

These are local (user) files created by the FM client to hold data
related to each file the user has open.  On a Windows box they are
located in the user folder, under: AppData > Local > Temp.  Clearing
these files fixed the problem of seeing incorrect data, but only
temporarily.  It came back.  So it needed a fix from FM.

I lost interest in the thread as I was not seeing the issue, so I don't
know the resolution.  But the behavior was the same as you described for
your ESS tables.  It is possible that the original 15 issue was also
related to ESS tables.  If so, then it's good to know that the v.3
upgrade has fixed the problem.

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office