Viewing a PDF in a web viewer

Bob Patin
I’ve got a script that does the following:

Create a variable $temp_path that = the temp directory & a filename
Export a PDF from a container to $temp_path (for testing purposes I’ve also done this using the desktopPath instead);
Opens new window, goes to layout with a web viewer on it; web viewer’s content is set to the variable $temp_path

This *used to* work, but not anymore; I’m seeing the same thing in FMP14 & newer…

Here’s my entire script:

Set Variable [ $window_name ; Value: project::project_name ]
Set Variable [ $temp_path ; Value: Let ( [ filename = Get ( UUID ) & ".pdf"; tp = Get ( DesktopPath ) ]; tp & filename ) ]
#
#    ---------------------------------------------------------------
#    export to temp directory
#    ---------------------------------------------------------------
Export Field Contents [ project::cont_merged ; “$temp_path” ] // exports from the container field "cont_merged"
Set Variable [ $temp_path ; Value: "file:/" & $temp_path ]
New Window [ Style: Dialog ; Name: $window_name ; Using layout: <Current Layout> ; Height: 960 ; Width: 730 ; Top: 0 ; Left: ( $$sw /2 ) - 365 ]
Go to Layout [ “project_projectPDF_viewer” (project) ; Animation: None ]
Commit Records/Requests [ With dialog: Off ]

Should I not be able to use the same link (the link that is in $temp_path) in a browser and see the PDF in a browser? That doesn’t work either…

Thanks for any insight,

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

Re: Viewing a PDF in a web viewer

board5ter
any chance there are some non-safe characters in your $temp_path variable tripping up the web viewer?

perhaps

Set Variable [ $temp_path ; Value: "file:/" & GetAsURLEncoded($temp_path) ]

might help?

David.

> On Mar 29, 2017, at 3:34 PM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ve got a script that does the following:
>
> Create a variable $temp_path that = the temp directory & a filename
> Export a PDF from a container to $temp_path (for testing purposes I’ve also done this using the desktopPath instead);
> Opens new window, goes to layout with a web viewer on it; web viewer’s content is set to the variable $temp_path
>
> This *used to* work, but not anymore; I’m seeing the same thing in FMP14 & newer…
>
> Here’s my entire script:
>

> Set Variable [ $window_name ; Value: project::project_name ]
> Set Variable [ $temp_path ; Value: Let ( [ filename = Get ( UUID ) & ".pdf"; tp = Get ( DesktopPath ) ]; tp & filename ) ]
> #
> #    ---------------------------------------------------------------
> #    export to temp directory
> #    ---------------------------------------------------------------
> Export Field Contents [ project::cont_merged ; “$temp_path” ] // exports from the container field "cont_merged"
> Set Variable [ $temp_path ; Value: "file:/" & $temp_path ]
> New Window [ Style: Dialog ; Name: $window_name ; Using layout: <Current Layout> ; Height: 960 ; Width: 730 ; Top: 0 ; Left: ( $$sw /2 ) - 365 ]
> Go to Layout [ “project_projectPDF_viewer” (project) ; Animation: None ]
> Commit Records/Requests [ With dialog: Off ]
>
> Should I not be able to use the same link (the link that is in $temp_path) in a browser and see the PDF in a browser? That doesn’t work either…
>
> Thanks for any insight,
>
> Bob Patin
> Longterm Solutions
> [hidden email]
> 615-333-6858
> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
> -
> iChat: [hidden email]
> Twitter: bobpatin
> —
> FileMaker Consulting
> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

Re: Viewing a PDF in a web viewer

Bob Patin
Good idea, but it didn’t help… what’s so weird is that this used to work.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

> On Mar 29, 2017, at 3:07 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> any chance there are some non-safe characters in your $temp_path variable tripping up the web viewer?
>
> perhaps
>
> Set Variable [ $temp_path ; Value: "file:/" & GetAsURLEncoded($temp_path) ]
>

> might help?
>
> David.
>

>> On Mar 29, 2017, at 3:34 PM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I’ve got a script that does the following:
>>
>> Create a variable $temp_path that = the temp directory & a filename
>> Export a PDF from a container to $temp_path (for testing purposes I’ve also done this using the desktopPath instead);
>> Opens new window, goes to layout with a web viewer on it; web viewer’s content is set to the variable $temp_path
>>
>> This *used to* work, but not anymore; I’m seeing the same thing in FMP14 & newer…
>>
>> Here’s my entire script:
>>

>> Set Variable [ $window_name ; Value: project::project_name ]
>> Set Variable [ $temp_path ; Value: Let ( [ filename = Get ( UUID ) & ".pdf"; tp = Get ( DesktopPath ) ]; tp & filename ) ]
>> #
>> #    ---------------------------------------------------------------
>> #    export to temp directory
>> #    ---------------------------------------------------------------
>> Export Field Contents [ project::cont_merged ; “$temp_path” ] // exports from the container field "cont_merged"
>> Set Variable [ $temp_path ; Value: "file:/" & $temp_path ]
>> New Window [ Style: Dialog ; Name: $window_name ; Using layout: <Current Layout> ; Height: 960 ; Width: 730 ; Top: 0 ; Left: ( $$sw /2 ) - 365 ]
>> Go to Layout [ “project_projectPDF_viewer” (project) ; Animation: None ]
>> Commit Records/Requests [ With dialog: Off ]
>>
>> Should I not be able to use the same link (the link that is in $temp_path) in a browser and see the PDF in a browser? That doesn’t work either…
>>
>> Thanks for any insight,
>>
>> Bob Patin
>> Longterm Solutions
>> [hidden email]
>> 615-333-6858
>> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
>> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
>> -
>> iChat: [hidden email]
>> Twitter: bobpatin
>> —
>> FileMaker Consulting
>> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
>> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

Re: Viewing a PDF in a web viewer

Richard DeShong
For a web browser, I thought there was supposed to be 3 slashes after
the "file:".

"file:/" & $temp_path

Shouldn't it be: "file://" & ...

On 3/29/2017 1:09 PM, Bob Patin wrote:

> [...]
>>> Go to Layout [ “project_projectPDF_viewer” (project) ; Animation: None ]
>>> Commit Records/Requests [ With dialog: Off ]
>>>
>>> Should I not be able to use the same link (the link that is in $temp_path) in a browser and see the PDF in a browser? That doesn’t work either…
>>>
>>> Thanks for any insight,
>>>
>>> Bob Patin
>>> Longterm Solutions
>>> [hidden email]
>>> 615-333-6858
>>> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
>>> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
>>> -
>>> iChat: [hidden email]
>>> Twitter: bobpatin
>>> —
>>> FileMaker Consulting
>>> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
>>> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell

Re: Viewing a PDF in a web viewer

Bob Patin
Well, with the combination of "file:/" and the temporary file’s path, it ends up being 2 slashes, which always worked in the past… not today.

So I added another slash, but that fails as well.

Very strange.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

> On Mar 29, 2017, at 3:31 PM, Richard DeShong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For a web browser, I thought there was supposed to be 3 slashes after the "file:".
>
> "file:/" & $temp_path
>
> Shouldn't it be: "file://" & ...
>

> On 3/29/2017 1:09 PM, Bob Patin wrote:
>> Good idea, but it didn’t help… what’s so weird is that this used to work.
>>

>> Bob Patin
>> Longterm Solutions
>> [hidden email]
>> 615-333-6858
>> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
>> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
>> -
>> iChat: [hidden email]
>> Twitter: bobpatin
>> —
>> FileMaker Consulting
>> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
>> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting
>>
>>> On Mar 29, 2017, at 3:07 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> any chance there are some non-safe characters in your $temp_path variable tripping up the web viewer?
>>>
>>> perhaps
>>>
>>> Set Variable [ $temp_path ; Value: "file:/" & GetAsURLEncoded($temp_path) ]
>>>

>>> might help?
>>>
>>> David.

> Richard DeShong
> Logic Tools
> 510-642-5123 office
> 925-285-1088 cell

Re: Viewing a PDF in a web viewer

Mike Duncan
Have you tried skipping the part where you export it to the file system and
just view it inline?

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, with the combination of "file:/" and the temporary file’s path, it
> ends up being 2 slashes, which always worked in the past… not today.
>
> So I added another slash, but that fails as well.
>
> Very strange.

> Bob Patin
> Longterm Solutions
> [hidden email]
> 615-333-6858
> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
> -
> iChat: [hidden email]
> Twitter: bobpatin
> —
> FileMaker Consulting
> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting
>
> > On Mar 29, 2017, at 3:31 PM, Richard DeShong <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > For a web browser, I thought there was supposed to be 3 slashes after
> the "file:".
> >
> > "file:/" & $temp_path
> >
> > Shouldn't it be: "file://" & ...
> >

> > On 3/29/2017 1:09 PM, Bob Patin wrote:
> >> Good idea, but it didn’t help… what’s so weird is that this used to
> work.
> >>

> >> Bob Patin
> >> Longterm Solutions
> >> [hidden email]
> >> 615-333-6858
> >> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
> >> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
> >> -
> >> iChat: [hidden email]
> >> Twitter: bobpatin
> >> —
> >> FileMaker Consulting
> >> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
> >> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

> variable tripping up the web viewer?

> GetAsURLEncoded($temp_path) ]

> I’ve also done this using the desktopPath instead);
> viewer’s content is set to the variable $temp_path

> FMP14 & newer…

> ".pdf"; tp = Get ( DesktopPath ) ]; tp & filename ) ]
> exports from the container field "cont_merged"
> <Current Layout> ; Height: 960 ; Width: 730 ; Top: 0 ; Left: ( $$sw /2 ) -
> 365 ]
> None ]

> $temp_path) in a browser and see the PDF in a browser? That doesn’t work
> either…

> > --
> > Richard DeShong
> > Logic Tools
> > 510-642-5123 office
> > 925-285-1088 cell

Re: Viewing a PDF in a web viewer

Bob Patin
Not sure what you mean; these are really large PDFs and the client needs to be able to scroll.

Is there a simpler method that I’m not thinking of?

What is odd is that this script worked great until a week or so ago; I wonder if it’s a Mac OS issue…