Viewing PDF with a double click?

Jorge Biquez
Hello all.

I have a PDF inserted in a container using a script. User push a button
and a script let him/her choose the PDF file to upload.

The contanier storage is set to "store container data externally" and
open storage. In the layout definition the container is set as
interactive content.

Some users (Windows or Mac) see the PDF just as an icon . Some other
view the the first page of the PDF . None can see the entire PDF File.
All have installed the Adobe acrobat reader. All using FileMaker Pro V15.

What , if any, would be the best that all users can see the PDF content
uploaded , maybe using a double click on the container field and without
using a third party plug in (unless is free).

I am trying to help a non profit community and the idea is that  kids
with no resources could read the material that teachers upload.

Thanks in advance.

JB

Re: Viewing PDF with a double click?

wrwaugh
Macs display PDFs quite differently from Windows.  Widows uses the default PDF viewer. Usually Adobe reader ( assure that it is the default).  Apple will display using its own PDF viewer or Adobe or whatever.  This is not much help to you because it is a buggy thing.  PDFs come in a few zillion variations of formatting.

I have had the same problem as you are experiencing.  I have had to make some Container fields non-interactive to show the pdfs.  In one case where the server was on a local server (that the client machines could access on the network) I had the storage set to a particular folder and then displayed the PDF in a web viewer by pointing to the file.

Riley Waugh
[hidden email]

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 11:22 PM, Jorge Biquez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all.
>
> I have a PDF inserted in a container using a script. User push a button and a script let him/her choose the PDF file to upload.
>
> The contanier storage is set to "store container data externally" and open storage. In the layout definition the container is set as interactive content.
>
> Some users (Windows or Mac) see the PDF just as an icon . Some other view the the first page of the PDF . None can see the entire PDF File. All have installed the Adobe acrobat reader. All using FileMaker Pro V15.
>
> What , if any, would be the best that all users can see the PDF content uploaded , maybe using a double click on the container field and without using a third party plug in (unless is free).
>
> I am trying to help a non profit community and the idea is that  kids with no resources could read the material that teachers upload.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> JB

Re: Viewing PDF with a double click?

Jorge Biquez
Hello

Thanks for the time.

It is strange, yes. And to do it more complex...... The solution is on a
local network FMS V15. I decided to download all images (the external
directory and do the correct reference in my local machine) . I found,
on my Windows machine with Adobe Acrobat Reader, I found that I can see
, zoom print or do anything with the PDF in the container, even copy and
paste....while if I open the solution on the server (remotely now) I see
nothing... a container with a blank content.....

Still investigating......

Thanks a lot for the time

JB

On 4/25/17 22:36, Riley Waugh wrote:

> Macs display PDFs quite differently from Windows.  Widows uses the default PDF viewer. Usually Adobe reader ( assure that it is the default).  Apple will display using its own PDF viewer or Adobe or whatever.  This is not much help to you because it is a buggy thing.  PDFs come in a few zillion variations of formatting.
>
> I have had the same problem as you are experiencing.  I have had to make some Container fields non-interactive to show the pdfs.  In one case where the server was on a local server (that the client machines could access on the network) I had the storage set to a particular folder and then displayed the PDF in a web viewer by pointing to the file.
>
> Riley Waugh
> [hidden email]
>

>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 11:22 PM, Jorge Biquez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all.
>>
>> I have a PDF inserted in a container using a script. User push a button and a script let him/her choose the PDF file to upload.
>>
>> The contanier storage is set to "store container data externally" and open storage. In the layout definition the container is set as interactive content.
>>
>> Some users (Windows or Mac) see the PDF just as an icon . Some other view the the first page of the PDF . None can see the entire PDF File. All have installed the Adobe acrobat reader. All using FileMaker Pro V15.
>>
>> What , if any, would be the best that all users can see the PDF content uploaded , maybe using a double click on the container field and without using a third party plug in (unless is free).
>>
>> I am trying to help a non profit community and the idea is that  kids with no resources could read the material that teachers upload.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> JB

LSCA. Jorge Enrique Biquez Alvarez
IT Consultant