Upgrading from FileMaker Server 14 to 15 with custom SSL cert

Upgrading from FileMaker Server 14 to 15 with custom SSL cert

Fitzgerald, Theodore C
We are planning on doing an in-place upgrade from FileMaker Server 14 to 15  (uninstall 14, install 15) and were wondering about moving our custom SSL cert.

Does anyone know if there is a reason I cannot or should not just back-up the serverCustom.pem from the CStore folder in 14 and then place it in the CStore folder once 15 is installed?  I did this when moving from 13 to 14 and it seemed to work fine, but in the Server 15 help there is this note:

"Because of security improvements in FileMaker Server 15, certificate signing requests created for FileMaker Server 14 cannot be used to create SSL certificates for FileMaker Server 15."

But that note specifically refers to using a CSR generated from 14 (which I was not planning on doing), not using a certificate (serverCustom.pem) that was created using an earlier version.

Thanks!

Ted

Application Developer
ITS-Enterprise Services
2800 UCC
University of Iowa

RE: Upgrading from FileMaker Server 14 to 15 with custom SSL cert

Fitzgerald, Theodore C
Well, seems that maybe I just needed to do a little more Googling...

These pages seem to indicate I should request a new cert with a new CSR:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14174/related/1
http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14176/related/1

Would still be interested in hearing other's experiences.

Ted

Re: Upgrading from FileMaker Server 14 to 15 with custom SSL cert

Jimmy D. Jones
I tried that and it doesn't completely work. The certificate is also used by the FMS Apache instance for WebD.

You don't have to request a new CSR if you have the original files from the issuing authority. You can use the Signed Cert, Private key, and intermediate cert files to install on FMS15.

Alternative is to do a new CSR in FMS15 and request a replacement Key.

___________
The opinions expressed in this email are my own and do not reflect those of my employer or anyone else.
Regards,
Ch0c0halic, FileMaker 14 Certified Developer
FileMaker Developer Conference 2017
July 24-26, 2017 • JW Marriott Desert Ridge, Phoenix, AZ
http://www.filemaker.com/learning/devcon/index.html

> On Apr 12, 2017, at 11:19 AM, Fitzgerald, Theodore C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We are planning on doing an in-place upgrade from FileMaker Server 14 to 15  (uninstall 14, install 15) and were wondering about moving our custom SSL cert.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a reason I cannot or should not just back-up the serverCustom.pem from the CStore folder in 14 and then place it in the CStore folder once 15 is installed?  I did this when moving from 13 to 14 and it seemed to work fine, but in the Server 15 help there is this note:
>
> "Because of security improvements in FileMaker Server 15, certificate signing requests created for FileMaker Server 14 cannot be used to create SSL certificates for FileMaker Server 15."
>
> But that note specifically refers to using a CSR generated from 14 (which I was not planning on doing), not using a certificate (serverCustom.pem) that was created using an earlier version.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ted
>
> Application Developer
> ITS-Enterprise Services
> 2800 UCC
> University of Iowa

Re: Upgrading from FileMaker Server 14 to 15 with custom SSL cert

Bob Patin
What I would recommend is just going back to the SSL issuer and asking to do a re-issue based on the a new CSR from the new server. That would probably be the fastest and easiest way.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

> On Apr 12, 2017, at 1:19 PM, Fitzgerald, Theodore C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We are planning on doing an in-place upgrade from FileMaker Server 14 to 15  (uninstall 14, install 15) and were wondering about moving our custom SSL cert.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a reason I cannot or should not just back-up the serverCustom.pem from the CStore folder in 14 and then place it in the CStore folder once 15 is installed?  I did this when moving from 13 to 14 and it seemed to work fine, but in the Server 15 help there is this note:
>
> "Because of security improvements in FileMaker Server 15, certificate signing requests created for FileMaker Server 14 cannot be used to create SSL certificates for FileMaker Server 15."
>
> But that note specifically refers to using a CSR generated from 14 (which I was not planning on doing), not using a certificate (serverCustom.pem) that was created using an earlier version.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ted
>
> Application Developer
> ITS-Enterprise Services
> 2800 UCC
> University of Iowa

RE: Upgrading from FileMaker Server 14 to 15 with custom SSL cert

Fitzgerald, Theodore C
Bob,

Thanks for the help!  I went ahead and had a new cert reissued.

Ted

What I would recommend is just going back to the SSL issuer and asking to do a re-issue based on the a new CSR from the new server. That would probably be the fastest and easiest way.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting
FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

> On Apr 12, 2017, at 1:19 PM, Fitzgerald, Theodore C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We are planning on doing an in-place upgrade from FileMaker Server 14 to 15  (uninstall 14, install 15) and were wondering about moving our custom SSL cert.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a reason I cannot or should not just back-up the serverCustom.pem from the CStore folder in 14 and then place it in the CStore folder once 15 is installed?  I did this when moving from 13 to 14 and it seemed to work fine, but in the Server 15 help there is this note:
>
> "Because of security improvements in FileMaker Server 15, certificate signing requests created for FileMaker Server 14 cannot be used to create SSL certificates for FileMaker Server 15."
>
> But that note specifically refers to using a CSR generated from 14 (which I was not planning on doing), not using a certificate (serverCustom.pem) that was created using an earlier version.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ted
>
> Application Developer
> ITS-Enterprise Services
> 2800 UCC
> University of Iowa

RE: Upgrading from FileMaker Server 14 to 15 with custom SSL cert

Fitzgerald, Theodore C
Jimmy,

Thanks!  I still do have those files and will keep them in mind as a backup.  Since 15 now supports SAN certs I wanted to give that a try and since we use InCommon, getting a new cert is not an issue.

Ted