Update for Filemaker Databases

Danny Krumnow
I have done Filemaker Databases for a long time but I am not an Advanced Developer. My question is this. Is there an easy way to have Filemaker Databases install updates without replacing the complete file?

D. Krumnow

Re: Update for Filemaker Databases

john renfrew-2
Define easy.

Define updates.

________________________________
I have done Filemaker Databases for a long time but I am not an Advanced Developer. My question is this. Is there an easy way to have Filemaker Databases install updates without replacing the complete file?

D. Krumnow

RE: Update for Filemaker Databases

Dan Kelly-2
That's a loaded question!

Best Regards,
Dan Kelly
Yachtlink
954 663 1630

Re: Update for Filemaker Databases

John Weinshel
Poke around on the web for 'The Separation Model'. It is a system, devised
some years ago by Colleen Hammersley and Wendy King, that emulates the
separation of data from the user interface found in traditional database
platforms, typically by putting the data in one file and the code and
layouts for user interaction in a second, with some variations adding a
third file for some of the scripting.

TSM is not for everyone or the best fit for every system. While it solves
some problems, it can also add complexity. When properly built for the
right environment, the problem it primarily solves is upgrading a solution
without the need to import the data. It has been argued that it can
improve performance, but also that multiple files can be more trouble to
maintain.

John's questions make good points. TSM is not 'easy', but it's not crazy
hard to work out the basics. And if, by 'update', you mean modifying the
data or data structure, it's not the answer.