Trying to fix an apostrophe character get's messed up on .csv import

Trying to fix an apostrophe character get's messed up on .csv import

dealtek@gmail.com
Hi all,

FileMaker Go app v16...

I'm having character problems with export / import in filemaker

I start by typing text into FileMaker Go version 16. Apostrophe's all type as curly smart apostrophe's (with apple keyboard / siri etc.).

Then I have script that exports the records as macintosh char set and save as merge file with .csv suffix

Now on MAC: If I copy directly text from the .CSV file into a text editor - then smart apostrophe looks good

decimal says character = 226 128 153

But if I import the .csv into filemaker v 16 then the apostrophe's look bad "black triangle with ?"

from Filemaker file -  decimal says character = 239 191 189

I've tried setting all filemaker file options (MAC AND GO) to "use smart quotes" on and off but problem remains

Q: Is there any way to fix this?

Dave - DealTek
[hidden email]
[db-18]

Re: Trying to fix an apostrophe character get's messed up on .csv import

Jon Rosen
What happens if you change the language setting for the storage option on the field you are importing into? It’s probably set to English. What happens if you change it to Unicode or Default? You could also try that on the export fields in the FM Go file.

Jon

> On Mar 10, 2018, at 8:14 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> FileMaker Go app v16...
>
> I'm having character problems with export / import in filemaker
>

> I start by typing text into FileMaker Go version 16. Apostrophe's all type as curly smart apostrophe's (with apple keyboard / siri etc.).
>
> Then I have script that exports the records as macintosh char set and save as merge file with .csv suffix
>
> Now on MAC: If I copy directly text from the .CSV file into a text editor - then smart apostrophe looks good
>
> decimal says character = 226 128 153
>
> But if I import the .csv into filemaker v 16 then the apostrophe's look bad "black triangle with ?"
>
> from Filemaker file -  decimal says character = 239 191 189
>
> I've tried setting all filemaker file options (MAC AND GO) to "use smart quotes" on and off but problem remains
>
> Q: Is there any way to fix this?

> Dave - DealTek
> [hidden email]
> [db-18]

Re: Trying to fix an apostrophe character get's messed up on .csv import

dealtek@gmail.com

> On Mar 10, 2018, at 9:05 AM, Jon Rosen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What happens if you change the language setting for the storage option on the field you are importing into? It’s probably set to English. What happens if you change it to Unicode or Default? You could also try that on the export fields in the FM Go file.

Thanks - Jon,

Thanks to you I found it...

The export was a merge format (which seems to force MACINTOSH Char)

The Import was set to Unicode which caused the issue

After I switched the import to match the export (MACINTOSH) now it all is working fine

Thanks Again

Dave

> Jon
>
>> On Mar 10, 2018, at 8:14 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> FileMaker Go app v16...
>>
>> I'm having character problems with export / import in filemaker
>>

>> I start by typing text into FileMaker Go version 16. Apostrophe's all type as curly smart apostrophe's (with apple keyboard / siri etc.).
>>
>> Then I have script that exports the records as macintosh char set and save as merge file with .csv suffix
>>
>> Now on MAC: If I copy directly text from the .CSV file into a text editor - then smart apostrophe looks good
>>
>> decimal says character = 226 128 153
>>
>> But if I import the .csv into filemaker v 16 then the apostrophe's look bad "black triangle with ?"
>>
>> from Filemaker file -  decimal says character = 239 191 189
>>
>> I've tried setting all filemaker file options (MAC AND GO) to "use smart quotes" on and off but problem remains
>>
>> Q: Is there any way to fix this?
>>

>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Dave - DealTek
>> [hidden email]
>> [db-18]

Dave - DealTek
[hidden email]
[db-18]

Re: Trying to fix an apostrophe character get's messed up on .csv import

Mike Duncan
I ran into this just the other day. You say when you export, you use
macintosh character set, but when you IMPORT, the default is UTF-8. On the
import field mappings dialog, select "Macintosh" for the character set
there as well.

Hope that helps,
Mike