Top Menu Bar

Dan Kelly-2
Is there a shortcut to get the top menu bar to show?

Best Regards,

Dan Kelly

Yachtlink

954 663 1630

Re: Top Menu Bar

tim ballering-2
In 16 Mac
Opt-CMD-s

Tim Ballering
[hidden email]

> On Jun 28, 2017, at 8:04 AM, Dan Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there a shortcut to get the top menu bar to show?
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Dan Kelly
>
> Yachtlink
>
> 954 663 1630

RE: Top Menu Bar

Dan Kelly-2
On a PC when you hide the menu bar the top menu goes, unless you hit
ctrl-shift-s to get scripts and have a script to show menu bar then you
cannot see the menu, on a Mac it does not do this, I cannot find a shortcut
to get it back, I have to open with 15 and get rid of this step in some of
the navigation scripts, I use it on Web Direct pages as it utilizes more of
the browser space.

Best Regards,
Dan Kelly
Yachtlink
954 663 1630

> On Jun 28, 2017, at 8:04 AM, Dan Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there a shortcut to get the top menu bar to show?
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Dan Kelly
>
> Yachtlink
>
> 954 663 1630

Re: Top Menu Bar

Gary Davis (new)
Hi Dan,

I assume that you’re asking how to show the Status Toolbar, as I am not familiar with the ability to hide the menus at the top of the screen.

If this is indeed the case, you can use the Menus to show it by choosing View > Status Toolbar or by using the Windows Shortcut that is Ctrl + Alt + S.

The following link will show you all of the Keyboard Shortcuts for FileMaker 15 in Windows.
https://www.filemaker.com/help/15/fmp/en/index.html#page/FMP_Help/shortcuts-windows.html <https://www.filemaker.com/help/15/fmp/en/index.html#page/FMP_Help/shortcuts-windows.html>

I hope this helps you out.

Cheers,
- Gary Davis

> On Jun 28, 2017, at 6:08 AM, Dan Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On a PC when you hide the menu bar the top menu goes, unless you hit
> ctrl-shift-s to get scripts and have a script to show menu bar then you
> cannot see the menu, on a Mac it does not do this, I cannot find a shortcut
> to get it back, I have to open with 15 and get rid of this step in some of
> the navigation scripts, I use it on Web Direct pages as it utilizes more of
> the browser space.
>
> Best Regards,
> Dan Kelly
> Yachtlink
> 954 663 1630

dumb question...

Ben Levitan LLC
I've got solutions I've been using for years and have no clue how I accomplished most of the stuff it does.  It would take a while to 're-invent' these solution.  It's one of those solutions I use everyday and always find myself adding tweeks to it or updating it because the data I get has changed.

That said, I have people I want to share the solution with now.  Some come to my office and simply use the solution here.  I certainly can make a copy of the solution and put it on their computers (with all the proper security), but clearly, it would be nice to just put it online and let everybody share the solution.

So basic dumb question.   I want to avoid having to get each user a FM license.  Some people only one limited parts of the solution to put in data.  Some need to use most of the solution that involves dozens of layouts and tables.  So options seem to be:

1.  Convert the solution with IWP and publish.  OR whatever is the latest.  Risky.
2.  Use a hosting service, but it appears that if I use a service like Triple8 you can only access the solution via "Remote Host" with an FM license.
3.  Since I have FM advanced, I could bind the solution and post it on a server?
4.  Use some sort of PC anywhere solution.

Anything help on something simple and brilliant?  I'm hoping this is dumb question.

Ben Levitan
_______________________

sent from my IBM Selectric Typewriter

RE: Top Menu Bar

Dan Kelly-2
Yes That shows the status bar but if you hide the menu bar in a script it omits all of the top menu, nothing shows but the window name, so you cannot even go up to scripts to run one, I put a script in the list so I can use ctrl-7 to get it back, but without that the Scripts menu does not even show, this only happens on FMP16, PC

Best Regards,
Dan Kelly
Yachtlink
954 663 1630

I assume that you’re asking how to show the Status Toolbar, as I am not familiar with the ability to hide the menus at the top of the screen.

If this is indeed the case, you can use the Menus to show it by choosing View > Status Toolbar or by using the Windows Shortcut that is Ctrl + Alt + S.

The following link will show you all of the Keyboard Shortcuts for FileMaker 15 in Windows.
https://www.filemaker.com/help/15/fmp/en/index.html#page/FMP_Help/shortcuts-windows.html <https://www.filemaker.com/help/15/fmp/en/index.html#page/FMP_Help/shortcuts-windows.html>

I hope this helps you out.

Cheers,
- Gary Davis

> On Jun 28, 2017, at 6:08 AM, Dan Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On a PC when you hide the menu bar the top menu goes, unless you hit
> ctrl-shift-s to get scripts and have a script to show menu bar then
> you cannot see the menu, on a Mac it does not do this, I cannot find a
> shortcut to get it back, I have to open with 15 and get rid of this
> step in some of the navigation scripts, I use it on Web Direct pages
> as it utilizes more of the browser space.
>
> Best Regards,
> Dan Kelly
> Yachtlink
> 954 663 1630

Re: dumb question...

Darren Terry-3
Not a dumb question, Ben. But in order to help, I need to ask some basic questions about your setup.

- Which precise version of FM are you using?
- Is it on a Mac or Windows?
- Do you know exactly who is going to be accessing the solution (specific people)? Or is this more along the lines of “Up to 10 people can access it at a time, but I don’t know who those 10 will be at any given time”?

If you truly want everyone to access the same files (not just copies of the files), and you’re using a modern version of FM, then you have the following options:

- Host the files on FileMaker Server, on a machine that’s available to people over the Internet (either there in your office, on a hosting service like Triple8, or in FM Cloud)
Once hosted on FMS, they would access the files in one of the following ways:

- FMP client (they buy a license)
- FM WebDirect (you pay for connections, but the client’s don't)
- FM Go (you pay for connections, but the clients don’t)
- Web browser to a CWP/PHP/REST version of the database (depending on which version of FM you’re using — expensive and time-consuming to produce, but free to them once it’s done)

No matter how you slice it, someone is paying for that connection — either you, or the clients. You can use FMP Advanced to produce a runtime solution, but it would be single user (no networking), and each person would have their own copy of it. They would not be sharing the files.

> On Jun 28,2017, at 9:46 AM, Ben Levitan LLC <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've got solutions I've been using for years and have no clue how I accomplished most of the stuff it does.  It would take a while to 're-invent' these solution.  It's one of those solutions I use everyday and always find myself adding tweeks to it or updating it because the data I get has changed.
>

> That said, I have people I want to share the solution with now.  Some come to my office and simply use the solution here.  I certainly can make a copy of the solution and put it on their computers (with all the proper security), but clearly, it would be nice to just put it online and let everybody share the solution.
>

> So basic dumb question.   I want to avoid having to get each user a FM license.  Some people only one limited parts of the solution to put in data.  Some need to use most of the solution that involves dozens of layouts and tables.  So options seem to be:
>

> 1.  Convert the solution with IWP and publish.  OR whatever is the latest.  Risky.
> 2.  Use a hosting service, but it appears that if I use a service like Triple8 you can only access the solution via "Remote Host" with an FM license.
> 3.  Since I have FM advanced, I could bind the solution and post it on a server?
> 4.  Use some sort of PC anywhere solution.
>

> Anything help on something simple and brilliant?  I'm hoping this is dumb question.

regards,
Darren

******************************
 Darren Terry
 Pacific Data Management, Inc.
 FileMaker Certified Developer
 Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003
 Fax: (408) 283-5903
 [hidden email]
 http://www.pdm-inc.com/

Re: Top Menu Bar

Kevin Frank
Dan,

As someone who develops on both platforms, I feel your pain as well. For
the last 20+ years I've used a dev script that shows/hides the status
bar. I now have the script show/hide the menu bar as well. This is the
best mitigation strategy I've come up with so far.

Here's the script.

If [ Get(CurrentPrivilegeSetName) = "[Full Access]" ]
    Show/Hide Toolbars [Toggle]
    Show/Hide Menubar [Lock:Off ; Toggle]
    Set Zoom Level [Lock:Off ; 100%]
End If

Assumption: you are starting out with both items in the same state
(either both hidden or both visible).

Hope this helps,
Kevin

Kevin Frank & Associates
[hidden email]
www.kevinfrank.com
FileMaker 7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15 Certified
blog: www.filemakerhacks.com

Dan Kelly wrote:

> Yes That shows the status bar but if you hide the menu bar in a script it omits all of the top menu, nothing shows but the window name, so you cannot even go up to scripts to run one, I put a script in the list so I can use ctrl-7 to get it back, but without that the Scripts menu does not even show, this only happens on FMP16, PC
>
> Best Regards,
> Dan Kelly
> Yachtlink
> 954 663 1630

RE: Top Menu Bar

Dan Kelly-2
Maybe they'll put it back, and I prefer having the status and zoom buttons.

Best Regards,
Dan Kelly
Yachtlink
954 663 1630

Dan Kelly wrote:

> Yes That shows the status bar but if you hide the menu bar in a script
> it omits all of the top menu, nothing shows but the window name, so
> you cannot even go up to scripts to run one, I put a script in the
> list so I can use ctrl-7 to get it back, but without that the Scripts
> menu does not even show, this only happens on FMP16, PC
>
> Best Regards,
> Dan Kelly
> Yachtlink
> 954 663 1630

Re: dumb question...

Ben Levitan LLC
Answers and I'll read your comments

- Which precise version of FM are you using?     Using FMA 11 but also have a copy of FMA 15.  (Would have to convert 11 to 15 first.)

- Is it on a Mac or Windows?  Windows...unfortunately for too many reasons.
- Do you know exactly who is going to be accessing the solution (specific people)? Or is this more along the lines of “Up to 10 people can access it at a time, but I don’t know who those 10 will be at any given time”?
Definitely, for this solution there will be a limited number of people using this solution.  Likely five people.  They may use the application simultaneously, but I'm not opposed to a solution that will only allow one user at a time if necessary.

Thank you

> [...]

> So basic dumb question.  I want to avoid having to get each user a FM license.  Some people only one limited parts of the solution to put in data.  Some need to use most of the solution that involves dozens of layouts and tables.  So options seem to be:
>

> 1.  Convert the solution with IWP and publish.  OR whatever is the latest.  Risky.
> 2.  Use a hosting service, but it appears that if I use a service like Triple8 you can only access the solution via "Remote Host" with an FM license.
> 3.  Since I have FM advanced, I could bind the solution and post it on a server?
> 4.  Use some sort of PC anywhere solution.
>

> Anything help on something simple and brilliant?  I'm hoping this is dumb question.

someone is paying for that connection —   Not a problem.  I'll pay for the connections in the end.
either you, or the clients. You can use FMP Advanced to produce a runtime solution -  You are saying that if I put a runtime solution on a host somewhere that people can't all use it.  For example, if it was on DropBox or a Cloud service they could not each go to that file from different locations and use the file one at a time?

Ben Levitan