The Scottish Complication - CamelCase Names Like "MacTaggart" - so UPPER, lower, CamelCase?

The Scottish Complication - CamelCase Names Like "MacTaggart" - so UPPER, lower, CamelCase?

Stephen Wonfor-3
Hi

Wondering if any of you have already built something to handle names that are naturally CamelCase?  I found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_Gaelic_surnames and could devise something but I am struck that there are wheels enough already.  Then, of course, there would be the Irish “O’Grady” matter, and I suppose, others.

Stephen

---

1 Pound honey = 2,000,000 Bee round-trips.

Re: The Scottish Complication - CamelCase Names Like "MacTaggart" - so UPPER, lower, CamelCase?

Richard DeShong
Here's the logic that I've used:

Removed double-spaces and other characters you don't want;
Add a space after dash, quote, mc, mac;
Use FM's Proper();
Remove space after dash, quote, mc, mac;
Then use a Quote Exception list and a Capitalization Exception list to
fix Proper mistakes.

Example of Quote Exception  list:

Am'ra
Anoa'i
Chana'e
De'eric
De'ondre
De'zhon
Fa'atatala
Ja'marcus
Ja'vion
Jash'anae
Ka'imi
Kamana'o
Ke'alohilani
Ma'afala
Ku'ulei
Pau'u
Su'a
Ta'amilo
Te'o

Example of Capitalization Exception list:

DesCombes
MaAne
Macinroy

On 6/14/2017 11:14 AM, Stephen Wonfor wrote:

> Hi
>
> Wondering if any of you have already built something to handle names that are naturally CamelCase?  I found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_Gaelic_surnames and could devise something but I am struck that there are wheels enough already.  Then, of course, there would be the Irish “O’Grady” matter, and I suppose, others.
>
> Stephen
>
> ---
>
> 1 Pound honey = 2,000,000 Bee round-trips.

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell

Re: The Scottish Complication - CamelCase Names Like "MacTaggart" - so UPPER, lower, CamelCase?

Stephen Wonfor-3
Richard

Thanks for the ideas.

Stephen

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything.” ~ Thomas Sowell

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 1:22 PM, Richard DeShong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Here's the logic that I've used:
>
> Removed double-spaces and other characters you don't want;
> Add a space after dash, quote, mc, mac;
> Use FM's Proper();
> Remove space after dash, quote, mc, mac;
> Then use a Quote Exception list and a Capitalization Exception list to fix Proper mistakes.
>
> Example of Quote Exception  list:
>
> Am'ra
> Anoa'i
> Chana'e
> De'eric
> De'ondre
> De'zhon
> Fa'atatala
> Ja'marcus
> Ja'vion
> Jash'anae
> Ka'imi
> Kamana'o
> Ke'alohilani
> Ma'afala
> Ku'ulei
> Pau'u
> Su'a
> Ta'amilo
> Te'o
>
> Example of Capitalization Exception list:
>
> DesCombes
> MaAne
> Macinroy
>

> On 6/14/2017 11:14 AM, Stephen Wonfor wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Wondering if any of you have already built something to handle names that are naturally CamelCase?  I found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_Gaelic_surnames and could devise something but I am struck that there are wheels enough already.  Then, of course, there would be the Irish “O’Grady” matter, and I suppose, others.
>>
>> Stephen
>>
>> ---
>>
>> 1 Pound honey = 2,000,000 Bee round-trips.

> Richard DeShong
> Logic Tools
> 510-642-5123 office
> 925-285-1088 cell

Re: The Scottish Complication - CamelCase Names Like "MacTaggart" - so UPPER, lower, CamelCase?

Richard

Also ran across this cf at Brian Dunning’s site.  “SmarterProper” Took a while to find as I could not decide what terms to look for.
http://www.briandunning.com/cf/837

Stephen

---

"An consultant is someone who takes a subject you understand and makes it sound confusing."

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 1:22 PM, Richard DeShong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Here's the logic that I've used:
>
> Removed double-spaces and other characters you don't want;
> Add a space after dash, quote, mc, mac;
> Use FM's Proper();
> Remove space after dash, quote, mc, mac;
> Then use a Quote Exception list and a Capitalization Exception list to fix Proper mistakes.
>
> Example of Quote Exception  list:
>
> Am'ra
> Anoa'i
> Chana'e
> De'eric
> De'ondre
> De'zhon
> Fa'atatala
> Ja'marcus
> Ja'vion
> Jash'anae
> Ka'imi
> Kamana'o
> Ke'alohilani
> Ma'afala
> Ku'ulei
> Pau'u
> Su'a
> Ta'amilo
> Te'o
>
> Example of Capitalization Exception list:
>
> DesCombes
> MaAne
> Macinroy
>

> On 6/14/2017 11:14 AM, Stephen Wonfor wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Wondering if any of you have already built something to handle names that are naturally CamelCase?  I found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_Gaelic_surnames and could devise something but I am struck that there are wheels enough already.  Then, of course, there would be the Irish “O’Grady” matter, and I suppose, others.
>>
>> Stephen
>>
>> ---
>>
>> 1 Pound honey = 2,000,000 Bee round-trips.

> Richard DeShong
> Logic Tools
> 510-642-5123 office
> 925-285-1088 cell

Re: The Scottish Complication - CamelCase Names Like "MacTaggart" - so UPPER, lower, CamelCase?

tim ballering-2
At this years Pause on Error - an excellent, excellent event I must say - Todd Geist made a strong argument we should not waste our efforts creating parsers when there are great tools out there that can be accessed via insert from URL with the new cURL options in 16.  He demoed SmartyStreets, but there are name parsing APIs as well.

I threw some of the Gaelic names at the Name API and it worked as expected.
http://www.nameapi.org/en/demos/name-formatter/ <http://www.nameapi.org/en/demos/name-formatter/>

http://www.nameapi.org/en/developer/ <http://www.nameapi.org/en/developer/>

There are a bunch out there.  Here are two more of interest:
https://parserator.datamade.us/api-docs <https://parserator.datamade.us/api-docs>
http://www.melissa.com/contact-data-verification/global-name.html <http://www.melissa.com/contact-data-verification/global-name.html>

They return proper capitalization and accents regardless of what is thrown at it. . They also return the gender so if you are using this for any public facing marketing you can properly address the person as Mr. or Ms, him, her etc.

Tim Ballering
[hidden email]

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 2:14 PM, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Wondering if any of you have already built something to handle names that are naturally CamelCase?  I found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_Gaelic_surnames and could devise something but I am struck that there are wheels enough already.  Then, of course, there would be the Irish “O’Grady” matter, and I suppose, others.
>
> Stephen
>
> ---
>
> 1 Pound honey = 2,000,000 Bee round-trips.

Re: The Scottish Complication - CamelCase Names Like "MacTaggart" - so UPPER, lower, CamelCase?

Stephen Wonfor-3
Tim

Thanks you for those links - very cool.

Stephen

---

"Organizations which design systems are constrained to produce designs which are copies of the communication structures of these organizations." --- Melvin Conway

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 3:13 PM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> At this years Pause on Error - an excellent, excellent event I must say - Todd Geist made a strong argument we should not waste our efforts creating parsers when there are great tools out there that can be accessed via insert from URL with the new cURL options in 16.  He demoed SmartyStreets, but there are name parsing APIs as well.
>
> I threw some of the Gaelic names at the Name API and it worked as expected.
> http://www.nameapi.org/en/demos/name-formatter/ <http://www.nameapi.org/en/demos/name-formatter/>
>

> http://www.nameapi.org/en/developer/ <http://www.nameapi.org/en/developer/>
>
> There are a bunch out there.  Here are two more of interest:
> https://parserator.datamade.us/api-docs <https://parserator.datamade.us/api-docs>
> http://www.melissa.com/contact-data-verification/global-name.html <http://www.melissa.com/contact-data-verification/global-name.html>
>
> They return proper capitalization and accents regardless of what is thrown at it. . They also return the gender so if you are using this for any public facing marketing you can properly address the person as Mr. or Ms, him, her etc.
>
> Tim Ballering
> [hidden email]
>

>> On Jun 14, 2017, at 2:14 PM, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Wondering if any of you have already built something to handle names that are naturally CamelCase?  I found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_Gaelic_surnames and could devise something but I am struck that there are wheels enough already.  Then, of course, there would be the Irish “O’Grady” matter, and I suppose, others.
>>
>> Stephen
>>
>> ---
>>
>> 1 Pound honey = 2,000,000 Bee round-trips.

Re: The Scottish Complication - CamelCase Names Like "MacTaggart" - so UPPER, lower, CamelCase?

john renfrew-2
Thanks Tim

________________________________
At this years Pause on Error - an excellent, excellent event I must say - Todd Geist made a strong argument we should not waste our efforts creating parsers when there are great tools out there that can be accessed via insert from URL with the new cURL options in 16.  He demoed SmartyStreets, but there are name parsing APIs as well.

I threw some of the Gaelic names at the Name API and it worked as expected.
http://www.nameapi.org/en/demos/name-formatter/ <http://www.nameapi.org/en/demos/name-formatter/>
NameAPI - Name Formatter<http://www.nameapi.org/en/demos/name-formatter/>
www.nameapi.org
The Name Formatter displays personal names in the desired form. This includes the order as well as upper and lower case writing.

NameAPI - Name Formatter<http://www.nameapi.org/en/demos/name-formatter/>
www.nameapi.org
The Name Formatter displays personal names in the desired form. This includes the order as well as upper and lower case writing.

http://www.nameapi.org/en/developer/ <http://www.nameapi.org/en/developer/>

There are a bunch out there.  Here are two more of interest:
https://parserator.datamade.us/api-docs <https://parserator.datamade.us/api-docs>
http://www.melissa.com/contact-data-verification/global-name.html <http://www.melissa.com/contact-data-verification/global-name.html>

They return proper capitalization and accents regardless of what is thrown at it. . They also return the gender so if you are using this for any public facing marketing you can properly address the person as Mr. or Ms, him, her etc.

Tim Ballering
[hidden email]

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 2:14 PM, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Wondering if any of you have already built something to handle names that are naturally CamelCase?  I found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_Gaelic_surnames and could devise something but I am struck that there are wheels enough already.  Then, of course, there would be the Irish “O’Grady” matter, and I suppose, others.
>
> Stephen
>
> ---
>
> 1 Pound honey = 2,000,000 Bee round-trips.

Re: The Scottish Complication - CamelCase Names Like "MacTaggart" - so UPPER, lower, CamelCase?

Richard DeShong
I originally created the name parser because the system from which I was
getting the names stored them in a single field using "Last, First
Middle Suffix", and they were in ALL CAPS.

It was not until last year that the system was upgraded and now names
are stored in discreet fields, with actual data entry controls when
people are entering the data.

Tim, thanks for the api links.

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools