Startup script problem

debt
        I'm seeing a weird problem with my startup script under FMPA 16.  When I start up my FM invoice solution right after I boot my Mac, the FileMaker window "goes into the background".  The application menu shows that FM is the frontmost app, but the window title bar is grayed out and the dock icon dances.  If I quit FMP and restart my solution, it works properly.  However, if I reboot my Mac and start my FM db, I get the problem again.  This is not an intermittent problem - it happens every single time.

        Anyone know what could be causing this?  What difference should it make to FMP whether my Mac has just started up or not?  This did not happen under v12.

Thanks,
Marc

FMPA 16.0.2.205
OS X  10.11.6

Re: Startup script problem

Jimmy D. Jones
It didn't start in FMP 16, that's been happening forever. I believe it's an OS startup functionality and causes this issues with any app that requires frontmost status when launching.

FMP always wants to be the frontmost app when launching. The issue is on startup when the OS launches FMP from the user preferences it doesn't make FMP the frontmost app so FMP starts bouncing in the doc indicating it wants to be the frontmost app. Same applies when opening a file from the User Preferences on startup. It does not perform the same as double-clicking a file.

When you double-click a file or open a file from within FMP it is the frontmost app.

BTW, this also is not a result of your startup script.

___________
The opinions expressed in this email are my own and do not reflect those of my employer or anyone else.
Regards,
Ch0c0halic, FileMaker 14 Certified Developer
FileMaker Developer Conference 2017
July 24-26, 2017 • JW Marriott Desert Ridge, Phoenix, AZ
http://www.filemaker.com/learning/devcon/index.html

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 1:39 PM, debt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm seeing a weird problem with my startup script under FMPA 16.  When I start up my FM invoice solution right after I boot my Mac, the FileMaker window "goes into the background".  The application menu shows that FM is the frontmost app, but the window title bar is grayed out and the dock icon dances.  If I quit FMP and restart my solution, it works properly.  However, if I reboot my Mac and start my FM db, I get the problem again.  This is not an intermittent problem - it happens every single time.
>
> Anyone know what could be causing this?  What difference should it make to FMP whether my Mac has just started up or not?  This did not happen under v12.
>
> Thanks,
> Marc
>
> FMPA 16.0.2.205
> OS X  10.11.6

Re: Startup script problem

debt
> On Aug 11, 2017, at 1:54 PM, Jimmy D. Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It didn't start in FMP 16, that's been happening forever.

        Thanks, Jimmy.  Not what I wanted to hear, though.  I'm 99% positive it didn't happen with v12 under Lion.  This is a new irritation for me.

> FMP always wants to be the frontmost app when launching. The issue is on startup when the OS launches FMP from the user preferences it doesn't make FMP the frontmost app so FMP starts bouncing in the doc indicating it wants to be the frontmost app.

        I don't have it set to start up automatically.  I'm using a launch file which I fire manually.  It still doesn't make sense to me is that it only happens on first run.  There has to be a way to prevent this from happening.

> BTW, this also is not a result of your startup script.

        I didn't think so, or it would happen 100% of the time.  Besides, I went through the script with a fine-tooth comb before I posted, since that was my first thought.  ;)

Marc

Re: Startup script problem

Samuel Herschbein
This is a known issue in macOS since at least Mavericks. Of course, known does not mean Apple acknowledges it exists...

The symptom is that the frontmost window does not always get focus and hence it doesn't receive user input.

The setting that affects this is: System Preferences > Mission Control > Displays have separate spaces.

In older versions the setting needed to be turned off. The behavior reversed in one of the macOS versions, now it needs to be turned on.

I was plagued by this in Sierra because I had turned it off in an older macOS. Turning it on in Sierra cured it for me.

This does not affect all apps. I've mainly had trouble with FMP, 1Password, Path Finder, and a few others.

Sam

On Aug 11, 2017, at 1:39 PM, debt wrote:

> I'm seeing a weird problem with my startup script under FMPA 16.  When I start up my FM invoice solution right after I boot my Mac, the FileMaker window "goes into the background".  The application menu shows that FM is the frontmost app, but the window title bar is grayed out and the dock icon dances.  If I quit FMP and restart my solution, it works properly.  However, if I reboot my Mac and start my FM db, I get the problem again.  This is not an intermittent problem - it happens every single time.
>
> Anyone know what could be causing this?  What difference should it make to FMP whether my Mac has just started up or not?  This did not happen under v12.
>
> Thanks,
> Marc
>
> FMPA 16.0.2.205
> OS X  10.11.6

Re: Startup script problem

Samuel Herschbein
BTW: I use my laptop standalone and with a second display attached. The problem was present in both cases.

Both my main Macs use second displays. So I don't know for a fact if the preference affects a Mac that has never had a second display plugged in. From what I've read I think all Macs are affected regardless of a second display.

Sam

On Aug 11, 2017, at 3:43 PM, Samuel Herschbein wrote:

> This is a known issue in macOS since at least Mavericks. Of course, known does not mean Apple acknowledges it exists...
>
> The symptom is that the frontmost window does not always get focus and hence it doesn't receive user input.
>
> The setting that affects this is: System Preferences > Mission Control > Displays have separate spaces.
>
> In older versions the setting needed to be turned off. The behavior reversed in one of the macOS versions, now it needs to be turned on.
>
> I was plagued by this in Sierra because I had turned it off in an older macOS. Turning it on in Sierra cured it for me.
>
> This does not affect all apps. I've mainly had trouble with FMP, 1Password, Path Finder, and a few others.
>
> Sam
>
> On Aug 11, 2017, at 1:39 PM, debt wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing a weird problem with my startup script under FMPA 16.  When I start up my FM invoice solution right after I boot my Mac, the FileMaker window "goes into the background".  The application menu shows that FM is the frontmost app, but the window title bar is grayed out and the dock icon dances.  If I quit FMP and restart my solution, it works properly.  However, if I reboot my Mac and start my FM db, I get the problem again.  This is not an intermittent problem - it happens every single time.
>>
>> Anyone know what could be causing this?  What difference should it make to FMP whether my Mac has just started up or not?  This did not happen under v12.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marc
>>
>> FMPA 16.0.2.205
>> OS X  10.11.6

Re: Startup script problem [Solved]

debt
> On Aug 11, 2017, at 3:43 PM, Samuel Herschbein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The setting that affects this is: System Preferences > Mission Control > Displays have separate spaces.

        Shoot, that didn't work for me.  It was worth a try though.  Thanks, Sam.

------ Times Passes -----------

        O.K.  Apparently, my fine-tooth comb was missing a few teeth because I've found the problem.  The startup script calls an AppleScript in an external table.  There's a Call Log db that uses Dialectic to find a customer's records based on the Caller ID, and to get Dialectic to start up when FMP is opened, this script gets called:

if not app_is_Running("Dialectic") then
        tell application "Dialectic" to activate
end if

on app_is_Running(appName)
        tell application "System Events" to (name of processes) contains appName
end app_is_Running

        I fixed it by adding:

tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced" to activate

after the if statement.

Thanks for the replies,
Marc

Re: Startup script problem [Solved]

Samuel Herschbein
Marc->

If an app that isn't running is activated it'll be launched. This is shorter:

tell application "Dialectic" to activate
tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced" to activate

FYI: to hide Dialectic (same as command-H) do this:

tell application "Dialectic" to activate
tell application "Finder"
        set theFrontProcesses to name of every process whose frontmost = true
        set visible of process (item 1 of theFrontProcesses) to false
end tell

Apple is deprecating AppleScript so it's not clear when all this will be moot...

Sam

On Aug 11, 2017, at 5:36 PM, debt wrote:

>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 3:43 PM, Samuel Herschbein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The setting that affects this is: System Preferences > Mission Control > Displays have separate spaces.
>
> Shoot, that didn't work for me.  It was worth a try though.  Thanks, Sam.
>
> ------ Times Passes -----------
>
> O.K.  Apparently, my fine-tooth comb was missing a few teeth because I've found the problem.  The startup script calls an AppleScript in an external table.  There's a Call Log db that uses Dialectic to find a customer's records based on the Caller ID, and to get Dialectic to start up when FMP is opened, this script gets called:
>

> if not app_is_Running("Dialectic") then
> tell application "Dialectic" to activate
> end if
>
> on app_is_Running(appName)
> tell application "System Events" to (name of processes) contains appName
> end app_is_Running
>

> I fixed it by adding:
>
> tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced" to activate
>
> after the if statement.
>
> Thanks for the replies,
> Marc

Re: Startup script problem [Solved]

debt
> On Aug 11, 2017, at 5:58 PM, Samuel Herschbein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is shorter:
>
> tell application "Dialectic" to activate
> tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced" to activate

        Thanks, Sam.  That makes sense.

> Apple is deprecating AppleScript...

        Not sure where you heard that, but I seriously doubt it's true - at least not yet.  I haven't heard it mentioned on the AppleScript list, and you'd better believe that they'd be up in arms if that was the case. ;)

Marc

On Aug 11, 2017, at 7:09 PM, debt wrote:

>> Apple is deprecating AppleScript...
>
> Not sure where you heard that, but I seriously doubt it's true - at least not yet.  I haven't heard it mentioned on the AppleScript list, and you'd better believe that they'd be up in arms if that was the case. ;)

Last November Apple terminated Sal Soghoian, his blog said: "Recently, I was informed that my position as Product Manager of Automation Technologies was eliminated for business reasons."

Here's one take on that:
https://eclecticlight.co/2016/11/18/goodbye-applescript/

I did find some Apple docs showing changes to AppleScript for High Sierra. Let's hope Apple has changed it's mind. I'm not optimistic...

Sam