Slide Panels - an inquiry.

Stephen Wonfor-3
Hi

Have not really gotten into Slide Panels but now I have an application that will convert 15 layouts into one if I can get my Slide Panels functional.
But, after a few hours fiddly, I start to realize my limitations in Slide Panel operations.

Are there rules about how to place objects onto them?  Dragging rather than paste for example.
Are there limits on how close objects can be to the edges?
I am finding that I can place things onto a single panel, go to a different panel and find them there as well.  Turns out I can delete the panel and they are still there.  Which seems to imply that they were never ”in" the slide panel but “on” it.

Stephen

---

"There are only two kinds of programming languages: those people always bitch about and those nobody uses".   -- Bjarne Stroustrup

Re: Slide Panels - an inquiry.

John Weinshel
This is a variation on an old Filemaker glitch; we used to it in tab
controls, and still do occasionally in positioning fields in portal rows.

Remove all the objects on the panels, and then start adding them back in,
one by one. With each new object, move it, using the arrow keys, one point
in each direction. For some reason, that tells the object it's bound to
that container (panel). After each one, return to browse mode to check
your work.

This last step isn't part of the fix, but it will save you from going too
far after misplacing an object.

My own preference is to first place the object to the right of the visible
space and then drag it in, but I've never found any evidence that that
addresses the problem.

If you need to copy a group of objects, and you're locating them by their
XY co-ordinates, first group them on the layout from which you are copying
(but don't save that change), paste them onto the target panel, move them
into their location, ungroup them, and, while all the objects within the
group are selected, do the arrow key thing.

On 6/16/17, 2:17 PM, "Stephen Wonfor" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Have not really gotten into Slide Panels but now I have an application
>that will convert 15 layouts into one if I can get my Slide Panels
>functional.
>But, after a few hours fiddly, I start to realize my limitations in Slide
>Panel operations.
>
>Are there rules about how to place objects onto them?  Dragging rather
>than paste for example.
>Are there limits on how close objects can be to the edges?
>I am finding that I can place things onto a single panel, go to a
>different panel and find them there as well.  Turns out I can delete the
>panel and they are still there.  Which seems to imply that they were
>never ²in" the slide panel but ³on² it.
>
>Stephen
>
>---
>
>"There are only two kinds of programming languages: those people always
>bitch about and those nobody uses".   -- Bjarne Stroustrup

Re: Slide Panels - an inquiry.

Stephen Wonfor-3
John

Thanks for the info.  Pleased to find out that it wasn’t my imagination.

Stephen

---

"You know, I couldn't do it. I couldn't reduce it to the freshman level. That means we really don't understand it." --- Richard Feynman

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 3:27 PM, John Weinshel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is a variation on an old Filemaker glitch; we used to it in tab
> controls, and still do occasionally in positioning fields in portal rows.
>
> Remove all the objects on the panels, and then start adding them back in,
> one by one. With each new object, move it, using the arrow keys, one point
> in each direction. For some reason, that tells the object it's bound to
> that container (panel). After each one, return to browse mode to check
> your work.
>
> This last step isn't part of the fix, but it will save you from going too
> far after misplacing an object.
>
> My own preference is to first place the object to the right of the visible
> space and then drag it in, but I've never found any evidence that that
> addresses the problem.
>
> If you need to copy a group of objects, and you're locating them by their
> XY co-ordinates, first group them on the layout from which you are copying
> (but don't save that change), paste them onto the target panel, move them
> into their location, ungroup them, and, while all the objects within the
> group are selected, do the arrow key thing.
>
> On 6/16/17, 2:17 PM, "Stephen Wonfor" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Have not really gotten into Slide Panels but now I have an application
>> that will convert 15 layouts into one if I can get my Slide Panels
>> functional.
>> But, after a few hours fiddly, I start to realize my limitations in Slide
>> Panel operations.
>>
>> Are there rules about how to place objects onto them?  Dragging rather
>> than paste for example.
>> Are there limits on how close objects can be to the edges?
>> I am finding that I can place things onto a single panel, go to a
>> different panel and find them there as well.  Turns out I can delete the
>> panel and they are still there.  Which seems to imply that they were
>> never ²in" the slide panel but ³on² it.
>>
>> Stephen
>>
>> ---
>>
>> "There are only two kinds of programming languages: those people always
>> bitch about and those nobody uses".   -- Bjarne Stroustrup

Re: Slide Panels - an inquiry.

Beverly Voth-3
FM 16 makes this a matter of using the Layout Objects Window. ( move things around )
* https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/16/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help/working-with-layout-objects.html

Sent from miPhone

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 5:35 PM, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John
>
> Thanks for the info.  Pleased to find out that it wasn’t my imagination.
>
> Stephen
>
> ---
>
> "You know, I couldn't do it. I couldn't reduce it to the freshman level. That means we really don't understand it." --- Richard Feynman
>
>> On Jun 16, 2017, at 3:27 PM, John Weinshel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This is a variation on an old Filemaker glitch; we used to it in tab
>> controls, and still do occasionally in positioning fields in portal rows.
>>
>> Remove all the objects on the panels, and then start adding them back in,
>> one by one. With each new object, move it, using the arrow keys, one point
>> in each direction. For some reason, that tells the object it's bound to
>> that container (panel). After each one, return to browse mode to check
>> your work.
>>
>> This last step isn't part of the fix, but it will save you from going too
>> far after misplacing an object.
>>
>> My own preference is to first place the object to the right of the visible
>> space and then drag it in, but I've never found any evidence that that
>> addresses the problem.
>>
>> If you need to copy a group of objects, and you're locating them by their
>> XY co-ordinates, first group them on the layout from which you are copying
>> (but don't save that change), paste them onto the target panel, move them
>> into their location, ungroup them, and, while all the objects within the
>> group are selected, do the arrow key thing.
>>
>>> On 6/16/17, 2:17 PM, "Stephen Wonfor" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Have not really gotten into Slide Panels but now I have an application
>>> that will convert 15 layouts into one if I can get my Slide Panels
>>> functional.
>>> But, after a few hours fiddly, I start to realize my limitations in Slide
>>> Panel operations.
>>>
>>> Are there rules about how to place objects onto them?  Dragging rather
>>> than paste for example.
>>> Are there limits on how close objects can be to the edges?
>>> I am finding that I can place things onto a single panel, go to a
>>> different panel and find them there as well.  Turns out I can delete the
>>> panel and they are still there.  Which seems to imply that they were
>>> never ²in" the slide panel but ³on² it.
>>>
>>> Stephen
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> "There are only two kinds of programming languages: those people always
>>> bitch about and those nobody uses".   -- Bjarne Stroustrup

Re: Slide Panels - an inquiry.

Darren Terry-3
Interesting, Bev. I have found no way to use the Layout Object palette to help with putting objects into any other container object (for instance, adding fields to a portal, or objects to a tab or slide panel). While the Layout Objects palette lets you change the z-order of objects on the layout, it does not let you drag any object(s) into any other container object. It seems like it should let you do that (effectively treating container objects as folders), but no dice.

In order to move one or more objects into a slide panel, for instance, you must still drag them (or copy/paste them) directly into the object on the layout. The Layout Object Palette doesn’t help.

> On Jun 16,2017, at 3:05 PM, Beverly Voth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> FM 16 makes this a matter of using the Layout Objects Window. ( move things around )
> * https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/16/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help/working-with-layout-objects.html

regards,
Darren

******************************
 Darren Terry
 Pacific Data Management, Inc.
 FileMaker Certified Developer
 Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003
 Fax: (408) 283-5903
 [hidden email]
 http://www.pdm-inc.com/

Re: Slide Panels - an inquiry.

Darren Terry-3
Hi Stephen: I typically drag and drop objects into slide panels. As long as the whole group of objects can fit within the slide panel in one fell swoop, they should be incorporated into the slide panel.

If any object is slightly outside the bounds of the panel, that object won’t be “part” of the panel. You can nudge that object into the panel using the arrow keys, which seems to work.

> On Jun 16,2017, at 2:17 PM, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Have not really gotten into Slide Panels but now I have an application that will convert 15 layouts into one if I can get my Slide Panels functional.
> But, after a few hours fiddly, I start to realize my limitations in Slide Panel operations.
>
> Are there rules about how to place objects onto them?  Dragging rather than paste for example.
> Are there limits on how close objects can be to the edges?
> I am finding that I can place things onto a single panel, go to a different panel and find them there as well.  Turns out I can delete the panel and they are still there.  Which seems to imply that they were never ”in" the slide panel but “on” it.

regards,
Darren

******************************
 Darren Terry
 Pacific Data Management, Inc.
 FileMaker Certified Developer
 Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003
 Fax: (408) 283-5903
 [hidden email]
 http://www.pdm-inc.com/

Re: Slide Panels - an inquiry.

JClose
Hey Stephen,
        I’ve not had too much difficulty getting things to go into slide panels, so I don’t have anything new to offer above what others have said in regards to that.  But another way to test that it’s in the panel, without having to save the entire layout or enter browse mode, is to click the panel itself and move it around with the arrow keys.  If all of your objects move with it, then they are in the panel.  If they don’t move with it, then they aren’t.

— Justin

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 15:33 , Darren Terry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Stephen: I typically drag and drop objects into slide panels. As long as the whole group of objects can fit within the slide panel in one fell swoop, they should be incorporated into the slide panel.
>
> If any object is slightly outside the bounds of the panel, that object won’t be “part” of the panel. You can nudge that object into the panel using the arrow keys, which seems to work.
>
>> On Jun 16,2017, at 2:17 PM, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Have not really gotten into Slide Panels but now I have an application that will convert 15 layouts into one if I can get my Slide Panels functional.
>> But, after a few hours fiddly, I start to realize my limitations in Slide Panel operations.
>>
>> Are there rules about how to place objects onto them?  Dragging rather than paste for example.
>> Are there limits on how close objects can be to the edges?
>> I am finding that I can place things onto a single panel, go to a different panel and find them there as well.  Turns out I can delete the panel and they are still there.  Which seems to imply that they were never ”in" the slide panel but “on” it.
>

> regards,
> Darren

Re: Slide Panels - an inquiry.

Beverly Voth-3
Thanks for clarification, DT!

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 6:32 PM, Darren Terry <[hidden email]> wrote in whole or in part:
>

> In order to move one or more objects into a slide panel, for instance, you must still drag them (or copy/paste them) directly into the object on the layout. The Layout Object Palette doesn’t help.

Re: Slide Panels - an inquiry.

Michael Kupietz
I have found the with enclosure issues in slide panels, popovers,
portals, anything which may or may not actually contain an object that
is visually inside its bounds, they may not always contain an object
dragged into them with the mouse, but they will *always* enclose an
object moved into or within them with the arrow keys on your keyboard
(provided, that is, that the object boundaries are inside the enclosing
object boundaries, of course.)

You can ensure that an object is contained by dragging it until it is
within the bounds, then 'nudging' it one pixel with the arrow keys. This
only works if the 'nudge' doesn't push the object back out over one of
the edges of the enclosing object, so I usually do two opposite 'nudges'
- ever since the portal behavior was changed to this
maybe-it-is-maybe-it-isnt enclosure style, I have habitually added
objects by dragging them into the portal row and then immediately
hitting a quick left-arrow, right-arrow on my keyboard. For some reason,
this makes the portal always "grab" the object.

Mike

--
Michael E. Kupietz
IT consulting solutions for FileMaker Pro • Web • OS X