Size of App File and Photo Considerations

Size of App File and Photo Considerations

LauraZ.
Hi All,

When making an App from FileMaker, I understand
that we can have the app be sort of like a launch
file for a large set of records on a server, but,
in the case that we want the app to be untethered
from the Internet once downloaded, are there any
file size considerations? I am looking at building
a sort of library or catalogue app, and though
there aren't too many records, the photos are
important, and the client asked if there would be
a burden on phones downloading an app with a large
file size. Any thoughts?

Also, is there a preferred photo size or range of
photo parameters I should be aware of?

Thank you,
Laura Z.

Re: Size of App File and Photo Considerations

Jonathan Fletcher-2
Yes, if you have a lot of large photos in the app, it will be a burden to download.

You might want to just include thumbnails in the download and then use web supplied photos for larger ones. You can use a web viewer to show a photo stored on the web. That also gives you the ability to swap out the larger photo to update it for everyone as needed.

You can use the same logic to update the data (including the thumbnails) also. You could have a CSV hosted somewhere in the cloud that had all your catalog data in it, or only data of new and changed items. Opening the app could run a script to access the CSV to get updated data and photo links.

That would serve several purposes: keep the original download smaller (mostly logic and UI) and then have a very flexible process to keep the data up-to-date.

Jonathan

> On May 17, 2017, at 3:18 PM, Helping Hand Database Design <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> When making an App from FileMaker, I understand
> that we can have the app be sort of like a launch
> file for a large set of records on a server, but,
> in the case that we want the app to be untethered
> from the Internet once downloaded, are there any
> file size considerations? I am looking at building
> a sort of library or catalogue app, and though
> there aren't too many records, the photos are
> important, and the client asked if there would be
> a burden on phones downloading an app with a large
> file size. Any thoughts?
>
> Also, is there a preferred photo size or range of
> photo parameters I should be aware of?
>
> Thank you,
> Laura Z.

Jonathan Fletcher
[hidden email]

Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
Next Meeting: 5/23/17

Re: Size of App File and Photo Considerations

tim ballering-2
You can store full size and use the get thumbnail function to display smaller photos to mobile users.

GetThumbnail(field;width;height)

You can also import full size into a temp  container and reduce the size before saving it also using a script with the get thumbnail function.

From fmi knowledge base:
GetThumbnail(Property;GetWidth(Property)/2;GetHeight(Property)/2)returns an image that is 50 percent of the size of the original image in the Property field.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 17, 2017, at 3:18 PM, Helping Hand Database Design <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> When making an App from FileMaker, I understand
> that we can have the app be sort of like a launch
> file for a large set of records on a server, but,
> in the case that we want the app to be untethered
> from the Internet once downloaded, are there any
> file size considerations? I am looking at building
> a sort of library or catalogue app, and though
> there aren't too many records, the photos are
> important, and the client asked if there would be
> a burden on phones downloading an app with a large
> file size. Any thoughts?
>
> Also, is there a preferred photo size or range of
> photo parameters I should be aware of?
>
> Thank you,
> Laura Z.

Re: Re: Size of App File and Photo Considerations

LauraZ.
Thank you Tim.

Yes, that I was thinking, would be good. I suppose
the thumbnail would be optimized for mobile. It
probably would also therefore reduce the size of
the app significantly, if only the thumbnails were
distributed with the app.

I am kind of looking for thresholds - like how
many thumbnails would be a workable range.

The issue is that the app might do best as a one
time download - not interacting with the web. It
is a field guide of sorts and would be annoying if
it was constantly trying to get in touch when it
wasn't possible. Also, the data doesn't change
that often anyway, and refreshed data could be
another dump.

Laura Z.

---- On Wed, 17 May 2017, Tim Ballering
([hidden email]) wrote:

You can store full size and use the get thumbnail
function to display smaller photos to mobile
users.

GetThumbnail(field;width;height)

You can also import full size into a temp
container and reduce the size before saving it
also using
a script with the get thumbnail function.

From fmi knowledge base:

Database Design  wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> When making an App from FileMaker, I understand
> that we can have the app be sort of like a
launch
> file for a large set of records on a server,
but,
> in the case that we want the app to be
untethered
> from the Internet once downloaded, are there any
> file size considerations? I am looking at
building
> a sort of library or catalogue app, and though
> there aren't too many records, the photos are
> important, and the client asked if there would
be
> a burden on phones downloading an app with a
large
> file size. Any thoughts?
>
> Also, is there a preferred photo size or range
of
> photo parameters I should be aware of?
>
> Thank you,
> Laura Z.

Re: Size of App File and Photo Considerations

Richard DeShong
Hi Laura,

Since the app is a "field guide", I will presume that it will have an
update option - to get any new information that might be added to your
database.  So add an option the update feature to allow the user to
download the large-view images.  Depending on the stucture of the data,
maybe have an option to only d/l pics for "this type".

As for thresholds, keep in mind the typical storage size of the devices
being used.  I have a device with 32GB of storage.  I am currently using
a bit over half (without your app!), and I am not a power user when it
comes to video/pics/audio.  There are lot of devices out there with less
available storage.

On 5/18/2017 12:06 PM, Helping Hand Database Design wrote:

> Thank you Tim.
>
> Yes, that I was thinking, would be good. I suppose
> the thumbnail would be optimized for mobile. It
> probably would also therefore reduce the size of
> the app significantly, if only the thumbnails were
> distributed with the app.
>
> I am kind of looking for thresholds - like how
> many thumbnails would be a workable range.
>
> The issue is that the app might do best as a one
> time download - not interacting with the web. It
> is a field guide of sorts and would be annoying if
> it was constantly trying to get in touch when it
> wasn't possible. Also, the data doesn't change
> that often anyway, and refreshed data could be
> another dump.
>
> Laura Z.
>

> ---- On Wed, 17 May 2017, Tim Ballering
> ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
> You can store full size and use the get thumbnail
> function to display smaller photos to mobile
> users.
>

> GetThumbnail(field;width;height)
>
> You can also import full size into a temp
> container and reduce the size before saving it
> also using
> a script with the get thumbnail function.
>
>  From fmi knowledge base:
> GetThumbnail(Property;GetWidth(Property)/2;GetHeight(Property)/2)returns
> an image that is 50 percent
> of the size of the original image in the Property
> field.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On May 17, 2017, at 3:18 PM, Helping Hand
> Database Design  wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> When making an App from FileMaker, I understand
>> that we can have the app be sort of like a
> launch
>> file for a large set of records on a server,
> but,
>> in the case that we want the app to be
> untethered
>> from the Internet once downloaded, are there any
>> file size considerations? I am looking at
> building
>> a sort of library or catalogue app, and though
>> there aren't too many records, the photos are
>> important, and the client asked if there would
> be
>> a burden on phones downloading an app with a
> large
>> file size. Any thoughts?
>>
>> Also, is there a preferred photo size or range
> of
>> photo parameters I should be aware of?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Laura Z.

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell

Re: Re: Size of App File and Photo Considerations

LauraZ.
Thank you Richard.

Good food for thought. The client just contacted
me with a new proposed pricing structure that
would segment the data into smaller or larger
pools according to what the customer chooses. This
would be an opportunity to add the sort of options
you suggest.

The update feature has been discussed in terms of
possibly a purchase option or for general updates
made available, but always with the idea that it
would be a data and probably a data and structure
download wholesale dump. This would be the
simplest from the design side, but now they also
want the user to be able to make personal notes in
the app relating to various records. Eg. Sightings
locally, etc. This makes it look like I am queuing
up for some upgrade coding, which I think I will
need some help with.

Cheers,

Laura

Laura Zantzinger, Owner/Senior Database Architect
Helping Hand Database Design

[hidden email]
(877) 538-2088

PO Box 276
Barnard, VT 05031

Ongoing Memberships:
FileMaker Business Alliance (FBA) Partner
FileMaker Developer Subscriber (FDS)
FileMaker Technical Network (TechNet)
Better Business Bureau (A+ Rating)

Insured

---- On Thu, 18 May 2017, Richard DeShong

Design wrote:
> Thank you Tim.
>
> Yes, that I was thinking, would be good. I
suppose
> the thumbnail would be optimized for mobile. It
> probably would also therefore reduce the size of
> the app significantly, if only the thumbnails
were
> distributed with the app.
>
> I am kind of looking for thresholds - like how
> many thumbnails would be a workable range.
>
> The issue is that the app might do best as a one
> time download - not interacting with the web. It
> is a field guide of sorts and would be annoying
if

> it was constantly trying to get in touch when it
> wasn't possible. Also, the data doesn't change
> that often anyway, and refreshed data could be
> another dump.
>
> Laura Z.
>

> ---- On Wed, 17 May 2017, Tim Ballering
> ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
> You can store full size and use the get
thumbnail

> function to display smaller photos to mobile
> users.
>

> GetThumbnail(field;width;height)
>
> You can also import full size into a temp
> container and reduce the size before saving it
> also using
> a script with the get thumbnail function.
>
>  From fmi knowledge base:

GetThumbnail(Property;GetWidth(Property)/2;GetHeight(Property)/2)returns
> an image that is 50 percent
> of the size of the original image in the
Property

> field.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On May 17, 2017, at 3:18 PM, Helping Hand
> Database Design  wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> When making an App from FileMaker, I understand
>> that we can have the app be sort of like a
> launch
>> file for a large set of records on a server,
> but,
>> in the case that we want the app to be
> untethered
>> from the Internet once downloaded, are there
any

>> file size considerations? I am looking at
> building
>> a sort of library or catalogue app, and though
>> there aren't too many records, the photos are
>> important, and the client asked if there would
> be
>> a burden on phones downloading an app with a
> large
>> file size. Any thoughts?
>>
>> Also, is there a preferred photo size or range
> of
>> photo parameters I should be aware of?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Laura Z.