Send Mail problem

Patrick Neame
Hello all,

FM14 hosted with user on a PC with fm14

This user is reporting that the Send Mail script step isn’t working for her. She says

> The email link is great except I can't access it on my laptop - something to do with the server being in use & trying to connect to Outlook (which I don't use) -sorry I am not familiar with any of this.

I don’t suppose this rings any bells with anyone. Her email is a gmail account in case that’s relevant. There’s nothing fancy about the script, just the Send Mail step with the email address of the recipient loaded from their record.

Many thanks

Patrick Neame

Re: Send Mail problem

Jonathan Fletcher-2
Patrick, FileMaker doesn’t work with Gmail the way it works with a regular email client.

There are two ways to use sendmail on a PC[1]:

1. With a correctly configured Outlook app on the computer

2. Via SMTP, which WILL work with the user’s Gmail credentials and Gmail’s SMTP configuration, but does not allow you to see or edit the message before it is sent.

With minor variations, this has been “the FileMaker way” for quite some time.

Jonathan

[1] Buried in the notes section of this:
https://www.filemaker.com/help/14/fmp/en/html/scripts_ref1.35.162.html

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 3:37 AM, Patrick Neame <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> FM14 hosted with user on a PC with fm14
>
> This user is reporting that the Send Mail script step isn’t working for her. She says
>
>> The email link is great except I can't access it on my laptop - something to do with the server being in use & trying to connect to Outlook (which I don't use) -sorry I am not familiar with any of this.
>

> I don’t suppose this rings any bells with anyone. Her email is a gmail account in case that’s relevant. There’s nothing fancy about the script, just the Send Mail step with the email address of the recipient loaded from their record.
>
> Many thanks
>

> Patrick Neame

Jonathan Fletcher
[hidden email]

Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
Next Meeting: 4/25/17

Sent from a device not known for spontaneous combustion

Re: Send Mail problem

Seth Pomeroy - Bus. 717-591-5555
does the user want to use webmail, outlook on her PC or another email
editor on her PC?
seth

On 4/17/2017 8:47 AM, Jonathan Fletcher wrote:

> Patrick, FileMaker doesn’t work with Gmail the way it works with a regular email client.
>
> There are two ways to use sendmail on a PC[1]:
>
> 1. With a correctly configured Outlook app on the computer
>
> 2. Via SMTP, which WILL work with the user’s Gmail credentials and Gmail’s SMTP configuration, but does not allow you to see or edit the message before it is sent.
>
> With minor variations, this has been “the FileMaker way” for quite some time.
>
> Jonathan
>
> [1] Buried in the notes section of this:
> https://www.filemaker.com/help/14/fmp/en/html/scripts_ref1.35.162.html
>

>> On Apr 17, 2017, at 3:37 AM, Patrick Neame <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> FM14 hosted with user on a PC with fm14
>>
>> This user is reporting that the Send Mail script step isn’t working for her. She says
>>
>>> The email link is great except I can't access it on my laptop - something to do with the server being in use & trying to connect to Outlook (which I don't use) -sorry I am not familiar with any of this.
>>

>> I don’t suppose this rings any bells with anyone. Her email is a gmail account in case that’s relevant. There’s nothing fancy about the script, just the Send Mail step with the email address of the recipient loaded from their record.
>>
>> Many thanks
>>

>> Patrick Neame

Re: Send Mail problem

Patrick Neame
Thanks both,

As far as I know she uses Gmail and nothing else but I'm sure we could (eventually) set up an atCrescentTheatre account using Outlook on her PC.

----------------

I'll have a look at using the SMTP option and discuss whether a standard form of words could be used in the email. I think the answer is that it could.

It's left me wondering if the GoToURL script step might work. I used to use this in the IWP days, the only downside being that it opened a blank browser window in a new tab.

Thanks again,

Patrick

> On 17 Apr 2017, at 1:54 pm, Seth Pomeroy - Bus. 717-591-5555 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> does the user want to use webmail, outlook on her PC or another email editor on her PC?
> seth
>

>> On 4/17/2017 8:47 AM, Jonathan Fletcher wrote:
>> Patrick, FileMaker doesn’t work with Gmail the way it works with a regular email client.
>>
>> There are two ways to use sendmail on a PC[1]:
>>
>> 1. With a correctly configured Outlook app on the computer
>>
>> 2. Via SMTP, which WILL work with the user’s Gmail credentials and Gmail’s SMTP configuration, but does not allow you to see or edit the message before it is sent.
>>
>> With minor variations, this has been “the FileMaker way” for quite some time.
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
>> [1] Buried in the notes section of this:
>> https://www.filemaker.com/help/14/fmp/en/html/scripts_ref1.35.162.html
>>

>>> On Apr 17, 2017, at 3:37 AM, Patrick Neame <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> FM14 hosted with user on a PC with fm14
>>>
>>> This user is reporting that the Send Mail script step isn’t working for her. She says

>>> I don’t suppose this rings any bells with anyone. Her email is a gmail account in case that’s relevant. There’s nothing fancy about the script, just the Send Mail step with the email address of the recipient loaded from their record.
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>>

>>> Patrick Neame

Re: Send Mail problem

Mark Kimbrell
Hi Patrick,

Testing the Open URL script step to initialize a message in gmail seems to work with this parameter: "https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&to=someone@...&su=SUBJECT&body=BODY&bcc=someone.else@...” <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6548570/url-to-compose-a-message-in-gmail-with-full-gmail-interface-and-specified-to-b>. I don’t believe you can attach files via the URL, if that matters.

See also: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6548570/url-to-compose-a-message-in-gmail-with-full-gmail-interface-and-specified-to-b <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6548570/url-to-compose-a-message-in-gmail-with-full-gmail-interface-and-specified-to-b>

Best,

Mark Kimbrell

Alchemy Consulting Group, LLC
FileMaker 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Certified Developer
[hidden email]
888 663 6382

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 12:32 PM, Patrick Neame <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks both,
>
> As far as I know she uses Gmail and nothing else but I'm sure we could (eventually) set up an atCrescentTheatre account using Outlook on her PC.
>
> ----------------
>
> I'll have a look at using the SMTP option and discuss whether a standard form of words could be used in the email. I think the answer is that it could.
>
> It's left me wondering if the GoToURL script step might work. I used to use this in the IWP days, the only downside being that it opened a blank browser window in a new tab.
>

> Thanks again,
>

> Patrick
>
>> On 17 Apr 2017, at 1:54 pm, Seth Pomeroy - Bus. 717-591-5555 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> does the user want to use webmail, outlook on her PC or another email editor on her PC?
>> seth
>>

>>> On 4/17/2017 8:47 AM, Jonathan Fletcher wrote:
>>> Patrick, FileMaker doesn’t work with Gmail the way it works with a regular email client.
>>>
>>> There are two ways to use sendmail on a PC[1]:
>>>
>>> 1. With a correctly configured Outlook app on the computer
>>>
>>> 2. Via SMTP, which WILL work with the user’s Gmail credentials and Gmail’s SMTP configuration, but does not allow you to see or edit the message before it is sent.
>>>
>>> With minor variations, this has been “the FileMaker way” for quite some time.
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>>
>>> [1] Buried in the notes section of this:
>>> https://www.filemaker.com/help/14/fmp/en/html/scripts_ref1.35.162.html

Re: Send Mail problem

Jeffrey R. Gorman

I’ve seen this before.  Check that the default email program is set to whatever email client she does use.  If she is using a web based client, the script step won’t work-although, in that case, the odds are you could set up an email client.

Jeff

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 4:03 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 08:37:44 +0100
> From: Patrick Neame <[hidden email]>
> To: FileMaker Experts <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Send Mail problem
>
> Hello all,
>
> FM14 hosted with user on a PC with fm14
>
> This user is reporting that the Send Mail script step isn?t working for her. She says
>
>> The email link is great except I can't access it on my laptop - something to do with the server being in use & trying to connect to Outlook (which I don't use) -sorry I am not familiar with any of this.
>

> I don?t suppose this rings any bells with anyone. Her email is a gmail account in case that?s relevant. There?s nothing fancy about the script, just the Send Mail step with the email address of the recipient loaded from their record.
>
> Many thanks
>

> Patrick Neame

Re: Send Mail problem

Gary Davis (new)
Hi Patrick,

I recently had a similar problem with a customer. They were in need of using the SMTP option on the Send Mail script step to send Invoices to customers from an iPad with FMGo. But every time we would try sending the mail, it would result in a 1506 error (Email(s) could not be sent successfully.)

After verifying that the Gmail SMTP settings were indeed correct and still receiving the error, I researched it further and found the solution. Gmail has an “Access for less secure apps” that needs to be turned on because apparently they consider FileMaker a “less secure app.”

Here is a link on how to change the setting:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

I hope that this helps solve the problem.

Gary Davis
www.alchemyg.com <http://www.alchemyg.com/> • 888-663-6382

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 12:50 PM, Mark Kimbrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Patrick,
>
> Testing the Open URL script step to initialize a message in gmail seems to work with this parameter: "https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&to=someone@...&su=SUBJECT&body=BODY&bcc=someone.else@...” <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6548570/url-to-compose-a-message-in-gmail-with-full-gmail-interface-and-specified-to-b>. I don’t believe you can attach files via the URL, if that matters.
>
> See also: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6548570/url-to-compose-a-message-in-gmail-with-full-gmail-interface-and-specified-to-b <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6548570/url-to-compose-a-message-in-gmail-with-full-gmail-interface-and-specified-to-b>
>
> Best,
>
> Mark Kimbrell
>
> Alchemy Consulting Group, LLC
> FileMaker 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Certified Developer
> [hidden email]
> 888 663 6382
>
>> On Apr 17, 2017, at 12:32 PM, Patrick Neame <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks both,
>>
>> As far as I know she uses Gmail and nothing else but I'm sure we could (eventually) set up an atCrescentTheatre account using Outlook on her PC.
>>
>> ----------------
>>
>> I'll have a look at using the SMTP option and discuss whether a standard form of words could be used in the email. I think the answer is that it could.
>>
>> It's left me wondering if the GoToURL script step might work. I used to use this in the IWP days, the only downside being that it opened a blank browser window in a new tab.
>>

>> Thanks again,
>>

>> Patrick
>>
>>> On 17 Apr 2017, at 1:54 pm, Seth Pomeroy - Bus. 717-591-5555 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> does the user want to use webmail, outlook on her PC or another email editor on her PC?
>>> seth

Re: Send Mail problem

Patrick Neame
Many thanks, that's a great help. We've yet to meet up but it would be frustrating to arrange a meeting only to discover a problem of which we had previously been unaware.

Yours,

Patrick Neame