Select Window confirmation

Keith M. Rettig
Probably can’t do what I want but want to check if I missing something…

I only want this to work on my desktop (so FMPAdv 15+).
I have an admin-like file where I manage all of the locations and operators and hosts and etc.
I then import/update all that data into 5 other files spread over 3 different filmmaker servers.
I do not have the admin file linked to the others for a rather specific reason [and herein probably lies my problem].

I usually have the other 5 files open on my desktop at all times.  So when I am ready to distribute the updated data to the other files, I call an update script in my admin file and it selects each of the five files and brings their window to the front.  Now I have the windows stacked and I manually run the “update data from admin file” script on each one (takes about 8 minutes to run each time), hiding the window when I am done.  No more windows tells me I am finished the task.

My issue is what happens when I don’t have one of the five files open on my desktop.  Since the files are not linked, the focus of the script is always within the admin file.  So I can’t figure out a way to determine if the window was indeed selected.  I can’t seem to be able to determine if each of the five files are open either.

So my question is if there is a way to do this or will it never work if the files are not linked?

Keith.

Re: Select Window confirmation

Stephen Wonfor-3
Keith

Do your windows have predictable names?  SelectWindow allows for dynamically picking a window with a “current file” option.  Never used that but it seems to allow other file operation.

Stephen

---

"Consideration of black holes suggests, not only that God does play dice, but that he sometimes confuses us by throwing them where they can't be seen." ~ Stephen Hawking in a 1994 debate with Roger Penrose

> On May 25, 2017, at 2:30 PM, Keith M. Rettig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Probably can’t do what I want but want to check if I missing something…
>
> I only want this to work on my desktop (so FMPAdv 15+).
> I have an admin-like file where I manage all of the locations and operators and hosts and etc.
> I then import/update all that data into 5 other files spread over 3 different filmmaker servers.
> I do not have the admin file linked to the others for a rather specific reason [and herein probably lies my problem].
>
> I usually have the other 5 files open on my desktop at all times.  So when I am ready to distribute the updated data to the other files, I call an update script in my admin file and it selects each of the five files and brings their window to the front.  Now I have the windows stacked and I manually run the “update data from admin file” script on each one (takes about 8 minutes to run each time), hiding the window when I am done.  No more windows tells me I am finished the task.
>
> My issue is what happens when I don’t have one of the five files open on my desktop.  Since the files are not linked, the focus of the script is always within the admin file.  So I can’t figure out a way to determine if the window was indeed selected.  I can’t seem to be able to determine if each of the five files are open either.
>
> So my question is if there is a way to do this or will it never work if the files are not linked?
>
> Keith.

Re: Select Window confirmation

Darren Terry-3
Hi Keith:
The design function DatabaseNames will tell you which files are open. The function WindowNames will tell you all the windows that are open.

> On May 25,2017, at 1:30 PM, Keith M. Rettig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Probably can’t do what I want but want to check if I missing something…
>
> I only want this to work on my desktop (so FMPAdv 15+).
> I have an admin-like file where I manage all of the locations and operators and hosts and etc.
> I then import/update all that data into 5 other files spread over 3 different filmmaker servers.
> I do not have the admin file linked to the others for a rather specific reason [and herein probably lies my problem].
>
> I usually have the other 5 files open on my desktop at all times.  So when I am ready to distribute the updated data to the other files, I call an update script in my admin file and it selects each of the five files and brings their window to the front.  Now I have the windows stacked and I manually run the “update data from admin file” script on each one (takes about 8 minutes to run each time), hiding the window when I am done.  No more windows tells me I am finished the task.
>
> My issue is what happens when I don’t have one of the five files open on my desktop.  Since the files are not linked, the focus of the script is always within the admin file.  So I can’t figure out a way to determine if the window was indeed selected.  I can’t seem to be able to determine if each of the five files are open either.
>
> So my question is if there is a way to do this or will it never work if the files are not linked?

regards,
Darren

******************************
 Darren Terry
 Pacific Data Management, Inc.
 FileMaker Certified Developer
 Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003
 Fax: (408) 283-5903
 [hidden email]
 http://www.pdm-inc.com/

Re: Select Window confirmation

Keith M. Rettig
Thank you Darren.  I needed a reminder of that function.
The script works perfectly now.

Keith.