Read-Only access without annoying messages...

Read-Only access without annoying messages...

Stephen Wonfor-3
I imagine that you all will soon observe that I have not had much call from clients for complex security models (to the horror of “Old #7” I am sure).
Anyway, a client has sold his business and the new owner has rejected Filemaker but still wants access to the files to have client data, invoice data etc.
So I created a user account that is “read-only”.
It seems inevitable that they will start getting annoyed with the “your access privileges…” error popups every time they drop their cursor into a field and advertently or inadvertently mess with the data.  Can that be suppressed?  Field Privileges offer “view only” but that allows field entry in Browse mode.
The previous owner will still need access to the live data so i can’t block very field from browse mode.

Did I doze off when Mr. Blackwell covered this topic?  Is it solvable?

Stephen

---

"Once upon a time, a bunch of matter showed up out of nowhere. A little while later, it started looking around and asking questions." ~ Beakerwall

Re: Read-Only access without annoying messages...

Jonathan Fletcher-2
Alternate layouts, based on login?

> On Jun 18, 2017, at 5:47 PM, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I imagine that you all will soon observe that I have not had much call from clients for complex security models (to the horror of “Old #7” I am sure).
> Anyway, a client has sold his business and the new owner has rejected Filemaker but still wants access to the files to have client data, invoice data etc.
> So I created a user account that is “read-only”.
> It seems inevitable that they will start getting annoyed with the “your access privileges…” error popups every time they drop their cursor into a field and advertently or inadvertently mess with the data.  Can that be suppressed?  Field Privileges offer “view only” but that allows field entry in Browse mode.
> The previous owner will still need access to the live data so i can’t block very field from browse mode.
>
> Did I doze off when Mr. Blackwell covered this topic?  Is it solvable?
>

> Stephen
>
> ---
>
> "Once upon a time, a bunch of matter showed up out of nowhere. A little while later, it started looking around and asking questions." ~ Beakerwall

Jonathan Fletcher
[hidden email]

Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
Next Meeting: 6/27/17

Re: Read-Only access without annoying messages...

Alexander Zueiv
Cover the whole layout with a transparent global field;
Set it's option "Hide object when" to: Get ( AccountName ) ≠ "[Guest]" or Get ( WindowMode ) = 1 (Apply in find mode);
Set it's OnObjectEnter trigger to Commit Record;
Make sure it is the first object on the Tab Order;
Disable it's option "Go to next object using Tab".

Guest will still be able to enter regular fields using Shift+Tab, so you may want to dupe that filed and put it at the end of Tab Order.

--

Alex Zueiv
Tashkent

> On Jun 19, 2017, at 2:47 AM, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I imagine that you all will soon observe that I have not had much call from clients for complex security models (to the horror of “Old #7” I am sure).
> Anyway, a client has sold his business and the new owner has rejected Filemaker but still wants access to the files to have client data, invoice data etc.
> So I created a user account that is “read-only”.
> It seems inevitable that they will start getting annoyed with the “your access privileges…” error popups every time they drop their cursor into a field and advertently or inadvertently mess with the data.  Can that be suppressed?  Field Privileges offer “view only” but that allows field entry in Browse mode.
> The previous owner will still need access to the live data so i can’t block very field from browse mode.
>
> Did I doze off when Mr. Blackwell covered this topic?  Is it solvable?
>

> Stephen
>
> ---
>
> "Once upon a time, a bunch of matter showed up out of nowhere. A little while later, it started looking around and asking questions." ~ Beakerwall

Re: Read-Only access without annoying messages...

Stephen Wonfor-3
Alex

That sounds very promising.  I’ll take a shot at that.

Stephen

"And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence.” ~ Bertrand Russell