Problem with relationships when script run as schedule from server

Problem with relationships when script run as schedule from server

Gary Reimer-2
Hello;

I spent the weekend upgrading my solution which had been running on a Mac mini with FileMaker Server 13 to a new Mac Mini with FileMaker Server 15. I have many scheduled scripts that send reports out by email. Some daily and some weekly. However, I have just encountered a strange problem and I don't even know where to begin finding the cause and solution. On the original Mac Mini with FileMaker Server 13, this all worked. But on the new server, it seems that certain (maybe all for all I know) relationships between tables in different files are not working when the script is run scheduled from the server. When the script is run from a FileMaker Pro client there is no problem. This solution dates back to the single file/table days so has multiple files.

My email settings are in a single record table called Settings in a file Main Menu. In the Order file, there is a relationship between the Orders table and Settings table via a calculated field id_constant which is set to 1. This is not a global field. So the relationship is orders::id_constant = settings::id_constant. When I run the script in Orders file using FileMaker Pro, references to Settings returns the Settings fields. But when I run the same script as a scheduled script from the server, that relationship does not work and the related Settings fields come up empty. How do I know? Well, I created a test table in orders where the script creates a record and puts the Settings fields values into a text field. When the script is run from FileMaker Pro, the test record created has the expected Settings values in the text field. When I run the script as a scheduled server script, the text field in the created test record is empty.

The definition of the External Data Sources in the Order file is File Path: file:Main Menu.

I would be very appreciative if someone could point me in the direction of a solution. This problem has prevented me from switching to the new FileMaker server.

Thanks
Gary

Re: Problem with relationships when script run as schedule from server

gpupita

Hello Gary

> Hello;
>
> I spent the weekend upgrading my
solution which had been running on a Mac mini with FileMaker Server 13
to a new Mac Mini with FileMaker Server 15. I have many scheduled
scripts that send reports out by email. Some daily and some weekly.
However, I have just encountered a strange problem and I don't even know
where to begin finding the cause and solution. On the original Mac Mini
with FileMaker Server 13, this all worked. But on the new server, it
seems that certain (maybe all for all I know) relationships between
tables in different files are not working when the script is run
scheduled from the server. When the script is run from a FileMaker Pro
client there is no problem. This solution dates back to the single
file/table days so has multiple files.

> My email settings are in a
single record table called Settings in a file Main Menu. In the Order
file, there is a relationship between the Orders table and Settings
table via a calculated field id_constant which is set to 1. This is not
a global field. So the relationship is orders::id_constant =
settings::id_constant. When I run the script in Orders file using
FileMaker Pro, references to Settings returns the Settings fields. But
when I run the same script as a scheduled script from the server, that
relationship does not work and the related Settings fields come up
empty. How do I know? Well, I created a test table in orders where the
script creates a record and puts the Settings fields values into a text
field. When the script is run from FileMaker Pro, the test record
created has the expected Settings values in the text field. When I run
the script as a scheduled server script, the text field in the created
test record is empty.

> The definition of the External Data Sources
in the Order file is File Path: file:Main Menu.

> I would be very
appreciative if someone could point me in the direction of a solution.
This problem has prevented me from switching to the new FileMaker
server.

Server side scripts are unaware of the client's found set, thus
you might be trying to grab the Settings values from the Orders file
with a zero found set

This would prevent the relationship to work

I'd
add to the script a check on the Orders found set first

Even better you
might tell the script to go to the Settings file and load parameters
into variables, and then go ahead and do things in Orders

ciao

g.
pupita

Re: Problem with relationships when script run as schedule from server

Lisette Wilson
If you aren't explicitly opening the other files in an opening script, but
expecting them to open based on relationships, try having an open file step
in the main file opening script, before any exit test for running on FMS.
When you run from Pro, the other files are opened for a variety of reasons
as you navigate the solution, even if you didn't explicitly open them. On
server, those files may not be open to the server user.

--
Lisette Wilson
Informing Designs LLC

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 2:55 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Gary
>
> > Hello;
> >
> > I spent the weekend upgrading my
> solution which had been running on a Mac mini with FileMaker Server 13
> to a new Mac Mini with FileMaker Server 15. I have many scheduled
> scripts that send reports out by email. Some daily and some weekly.
> However, I have just encountered a strange problem and I don't even know
> where to begin finding the cause and solution. On the original Mac Mini
> with FileMaker Server 13, this all worked. But on the new server, it
> seems that certain (maybe all for all I know) relationships between
> tables in different files are not working when the script is run
> scheduled from the server. When the script is run from a FileMaker Pro
> client there is no problem. This solution dates back to the single
> file/table days so has multiple files.
> >
> > My email settings are in a
> single record table called Settings in a file Main Menu. In the Order
> file, there is a relationship between the Orders table and Settings
> table via a calculated field id_constant which is set to 1. This is not
> a global field. So the relationship is orders::id_constant =
> settings::id_constant. When I run the script in Orders file using
> FileMaker Pro, references to Settings returns the Settings fields. But
> when I run the same script as a scheduled script from the server, that
> relationship does not work and the related Settings fields come up
> empty. How do I know? Well, I created a test table in orders where the
> script creates a record and puts the Settings fields values into a text
> field. When the script is run from FileMaker Pro, the test record
> created has the expected Settings values in the text field. When I run
> the script as a scheduled server script, the text field in the created
> test record is empty.
> >
> > The definition of the External Data Sources
> in the Order file is File Path: file:Main Menu.
> >
> > I would be very
> appreciative if someone could point me in the direction of a solution.
> This problem has prevented me from switching to the new FileMaker
> server.
>
> Server side scripts are unaware of the client's found set, thus
> you might be trying to grab the Settings values from the Orders file
> with a zero found set
>
> This would prevent the relationship to work
>
> I'd
> add to the script a check on the Orders found set first
>
> Even better you
> might tell the script to go to the Settings file and load parameters
> into variables, and then go ahead and do things in Orders
>
> ciao
>
> g.
> pupita

Re: Problem with relationships when script run as schedule from server

Gary Reimer-2
I didn't mention it in my original email, but I had tested adding an Open Main Menu step at the start of the script. It didn't help.

What confuses me is that the same scripts work on the FileMaker 13 server.

Thanks
Gary

> [...]
>>>
>>> I would be very
>> appreciative if someone could point me in the direction of a solution.
>> This problem has prevented me from switching to the new FileMaker
>> server.
>>
>> Server side scripts are unaware of the client's found set, thus
>> you might be trying to grab the Settings values from the Orders file
>> with a zero found set
>>
>> This would prevent the relationship to work
>>
>> I'd
>> add to the script a check on the Orders found set first
>>
>> Even better you
>> might tell the script to go to the Settings file and load parameters
>> into variables, and then go ahead and do things in Orders
>>
>> ciao
>>
>> g.
>> pupita

Re: Problem with relationships when script run as schedule from server

Richard DeShong
Hi Gary,

Keep in mind that when FM went from a single-table-per-file model (v6)
to multi-table (v7), more and more of the testing done when they upgrade
FM is using a single-file system.  I'm sure they do some multi-file
testing (because it still, basically, works), but all of the
hour-to-hour testing, as a programmer, is probably done on a single-file
system.

In a Ver11 system (multi-file), I ran across a situation where a script
run by some users was not updating one of the tables in another file.
Every time I tested it, it worked great.  What I found, using the server
admin console, was that the errant file was not open for that user.  So,
as others have suggested, I put in a series of Open File script steps,
with error capture, to make sure all needed external files were open.

Another point:  When you go from ver13 to ver15, in any system, you
should not expect that everything will work just fine.  You should do
the upgrade expecting there will be a bunch of issues.

On 4/3/2017 6:40 AM, Gary Reimer wrote:

> [...]
>>> created has the expected Settings values in the text field. When I run
>>> the script as a scheduled server script, the text field in the created
>>> test record is empty.
>>> in the Order file is File Path: file:Main Menu.
>>> appreciative if someone could point me in the direction of a solution.
>>> This problem has prevented me from switching to the new FileMaker
>>> server.
>>>
>>> Server side scripts are unaware of the client's found set, thus
>>> you might be trying to grab the Settings values from the Orders file
>>> with a zero found set
>>>
>>> This would prevent the relationship to work
>>>
>>> I'd
>>> add to the script a check on the Orders found set first
>>>
>>> Even better you
>>> might tell the script to go to the Settings file and load parameters
>>> into variables, and then go ahead and do things in Orders

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell

Re: Problem with relationships when script run as schedule from server

Gary Reimer-2
I've continued testing and what I'm finding is that in general, relationships between tables in separate files are not working on the server. I created a script that generates an email which lists a found set of orders as well as some fields from the first related line item (which is in a separate file). When I ran it from FileMaker Pro the email contained the order data as well as data from the first line item. But when I ran the script from the server I got the list of orders ok but the related line item fields were all empty. So it seems that none of my relationships that cross file boundaries are working on the server.

I guess it's time to bite the bullet and merge the files.

Thanks
Gary

> On Apr 3, 2017, at 3:22 PM, Richard DeShong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> Keep in mind that when FM went from a single-table-per-file model (v6) to multi-table (v7), more and more of the testing done when they upgrade FM is using a single-file system.  I'm sure they do some multi-file testing (because it still, basically, works), but all of the hour-to-hour testing, as a programmer, is probably done on a single-file system.
>
> In a Ver11 system (multi-file), I ran across a situation where a script run by some users was not updating one of the tables in another file.  Every time I tested it, it worked great.  What I found, using the server admin console, was that the errant file was not open for that user.  So, as others have suggested, I put in a series of Open File script steps, with error capture, to make sure all needed external files were open.
>
> Another point:  When you go from ver13 to ver15, in any system, you should not expect that everything will work just fine.  You should do the upgrade expecting there will be a bunch of issues.
>

> On 4/3/2017 6:40 AM, Gary Reimer wrote:
>> I didn't mention it in my original email, but I had tested adding an Open Main Menu step at the start of the script. It didn't help.
>>
>> What confuses me is that the same scripts work on the FileMaker 13 server.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Gary
>>
>>> On Apr 3, 2017, at 6:43 AM, Lisette Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you aren't explicitly opening the other files in an opening script, but
>>> expecting them to open based on relationships, try having an open file step
>>> in the main file opening script, before any exit test for running on FMS.
>>> When you run from Pro, the other files are opened for a variety of reasons
>>> as you navigate the solution, even if you didn't explicitly open them. On
>>> server, those files may not be open to the server user.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lisette Wilson

> Richard DeShong
> Logic Tools
> 510-642-5123 office
> 925-285-1088 cell

Re: Problem with relationships when script run as schedule from server

Bob Gossom
Gary,

This should work. Have you double checked the file references? Also check the account & privileges that are set in the Server for the scripts.

It’s a pain to debug server scripts, but the logging features in FMPS 15 are much better than 13 (as I recall). Debugging this should be more productive than merging files - where, if the flaw is in the programming, you might still have the same issue.

Note that imports on Sever scripts are problematic, but I don’t think that changed from 13 to 15.

Bob Gossom
Absolute Advantage, Inc.