Problem importing Excel workbooks into Filemaker

Problem importing Excel workbooks into Filemaker

Hans J. Gunnarsson
I have a “bunch" of Excel Documents.
Each document contains a “bunch” of workbooks.

Each workbook is set up as an "entry form”
Meaning that “Field names” and “Data” are all mixed up in about 250 lines in each workbook.

===

I have thought about creating one “export” workbook in each Excel file and use it to collect all the data from the other workbooks in "FM readable” form before exporting it to FM.
I have also thought about exporting each workbook as a tab seperated file and the parse it once I move each workbook into a text field in FM.

===

Is there a more sensible way I should rather be looking at?

TIA
Hans

Re: Problem importing Excel workbooks into Filemaker

Jonn Howell at DataExperience
Present an example please.

I did deliver a presentation on mixed column order imports last year at DevCon. I don't know if it applies here.

Jonn Howell

Live life in excellence
- sent from my 1995 Motorola Power PAK bag phone

> On Apr 1, 2017, at 1:00 AM, Hans Gunnarsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a “bunch" of Excel Documents.
> Each document contains a “bunch” of workbooks.
>
> Each workbook is set up as an "entry form”
> Meaning that “Field names” and “Data” are all mixed up in about 250 lines in each workbook.
>
> ===
>
> I have thought about creating one “export” workbook in each Excel file and use it to collect all the data from the other workbooks in "FM readable” form before exporting it to FM.
> I have also thought about exporting each workbook as a tab seperated file and the parse it once I move each workbook into a text field in FM.
>
> ===
>
> Is there a more sensible way I should rather be looking at?
>
> TIA
> Hans

Re: Problem importing Excel workbooks into Filemaker

Jonathan Fletcher-2
Hans,

If you know the names of all your worksheets you can use 360Works’ Scribe to extract data from each worksheet. You import the spreadsheet file into Scribe and then query Scribe for the pieces-parts.

I’m using that in several places in a solution that I am working on right now and it works very well.

Jonathan

> On Apr 1, 2017, at 4:00 AM, Hans Gunnarsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a “bunch" of Excel Documents.
> Each document contains a “bunch” of workbooks.
>
> Each workbook is set up as an "entry form”
> Meaning that “Field names” and “Data” are all mixed up in about 250 lines in each workbook.
>
> ===
>
> I have thought about creating one “export” workbook in each Excel file and use it to collect all the data from the other workbooks in "FM readable” form before exporting it to FM.
> I have also thought about exporting each workbook as a tab seperated file and the parse it once I move each workbook into a text field in FM.
>
> ===
>
> Is there a more sensible way I should rather be looking at?
>
> TIA
> Hans

Jonathan Fletcher
[hidden email]

Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
Next Meeting: 3/28/16

Sent from a device not known for spontaneous combustion

Re: Problem importing Excel workbooks into Filemaker

Hans J. Gunnarsson
Thank you Jonathan

I will take a look.

Kind regards