Printing Question

123

Re: Magic Key

ian moree
So i think i Understand why the magic key is such a clever technique, it is just really nuances with the technique.

It actually eliminates the need then for constant Commit/ Revert steps within a script as well as it being able to
traverse multiple relationships without a lot of overhead. Now it is just practicing these steps.

_ Lots of practice to do , wow…

-
On Mar 27, 2012, at 12:22 AM, Ben Levitan wrote:

> Last question on this issue.  I thought the "magic key" was cool, but...
>
> 1.  It backflows the related records ID to the global field
> 2.  I thought it also, at the same time, populated the new related record with the key of the current table.  It doesn't appear that it does.  Is this correct?
>
> I've been playing with this lately and it doesn't seem that the primary key ever populates.  That's the most important part of adding a relationship.
>
> If #2 is correct, there is a dozen ways we already do this.  So the magic isn't too impressive
>

> Ben Levitan

Re: Magic Key - EXAMPLE FILE

Ben Levitan LLC

 I put together this example file on how to add multiple child records (related records) to a parent record.   I show methods including the portal method, the magic key and my method (which I guess I'll call the Minus 1 method).  I'm attaching it here but it that doesn't transfer to the board you can pull it down from my website at
http://www.benlevitan.com/magic_key_example.fp7

Ben Levitan
Wireless Cellular Telecommunications Expert
Expert Witness Services
www.BenLevitan.com
919/420-0924
[hidden email]
skype:BenLevitan
Designated as "Elite Expert™ 2009
"Nancy Grace Show" and "Shepard Smith, Studio B" Guest
Please Sign Up to follow "Ben Levitan" on Twitter to get TV notifications

Hot Cases:
- Bologovich Media Sheet is now at www.BenLevitan.com/news
- Calyee Anthony - www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/
- Annie Le - www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/

So i think i Understand why the magic key is such a clever technique, it is just
really nuances with the technique.

It actually eliminates the need then for constant Commit/ Revert steps within a
script as well as it being able to
traverse multiple relationships without a lot of overhead. Now it is just
practicing these steps.

_ Lots of practice to do , wow…

-
On Mar 27, 2012, at 12:22 AM, Ben Levitan wrote:

> Last question on this issue.  I thought the "magic key" was cool, but...
>
> 1.  It backflows the related records ID to the global field
> 2.  I thought it also, at the same time, populated the new related record with
the key of the current table.  It doesn't appear that it does.  Is this correct?

> I've been playing with this lately and it doesn't seem that the primary key
ever populates.  That's the most important part of adding a relationship.

> If #2 is correct, there is a dozen ways we already do this.  So the magic
isn't too impressive

> Ben Levitan

Re: Magic Key - EXAMPLE FILE

ian moree
Thank you so Much Ben Levitan for sharing!

I know i am still a beginner , but your minus 1 technique looks similar to the CONSTANT method
i have read about in the old versions of filemaker

Where constant 1 = Constant 1 , however your -1 is kinda nifty!

-i

On Mar 27, 2012, at 4:53 PM, Ben Levitan wrote:

> I put together this example file on how to add multiple child records (related records) to a parent record.   I show methods including the portal method, the magic key and my method (which I guess I'll call the Minus 1 method).  I'm attaching it here but it that doesn't transfer to the board you can pull it down from my website at
> http://www.benlevitan.com/magic_key_example.fp7
>

> Ben Levitan
> Wireless Cellular Telecommunications Expert
> Expert Witness Services
> www.BenLevitan.com
> 919/420-0924
> [hidden email]
> skype:BenLevitan
> Designated as "Elite Expert™ 2009
> "Nancy Grace Show" and "Shepard Smith, Studio B" Guest
> Please Sign Up to follow "Ben Levitan" on Twitter to get TV notifications
>
> Hot Cases:
> - Bologovich Media Sheet is now at www.BenLevitan.com/news
> - Calyee Anthony - www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/
> - Annie Le - www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/

Re: Magic Key - EXAMPLE FILE

Daniel Wood
Hi guys,

I'm loving Magic Key.  I spent some time last week looking over it and trying to tweak it, and also shared it out our weekly dev meetings here at work.

The end result is the file you can check out below.  This is similar to your technique Ben where are using the relationship to generate multiple child records.

http://www.teamdf.com/daniel/magickey.zip

 In our version we have set the magicKey field to be an auto-enter calculation. Upon a child record being created, the primary key of the child record is pushed back into magicKey, which forces the re-evaluation of the magicKey auto enter calc. The calculation simply tells magicKey field to clear itself, and the result of this clearing of magicKey breaks the realtionship to the record we just generated. Why you ask? Well in doing so we are automatically clearing the relationship which allows us to enter a new child record in right away.

The idea being you might want a quickfire way to generate child records. Consider a solution where you have records that have associated "Tag" records and you want to just type in tags without the hassle of hitting other buttons to create the records.

In this example we've also put a script trigger on the entry field so that if the user hits the tab or return keys, it automatically manages things so that they can just type in a tag, hit tab, then go onto typing the next one...

Cheers!
Daniel

  D I G I T A L   F U S I O N   L I M I T E D
  Christchurch,  New Zealand

  Daniel Wood
  Phone: +64-3-377 3797
  DDI:  03-929-0458
  Web Site: http://www.teamdf.com
  FileMaker Blog: http://www.filemakerweetbicks.com

  FileMaker 8/9/10/11 Certified Developer
  FileMaker Business Alliance Platinum

On 28/03/2012, at 10:06 AM, ian moree wrote:

> Thank you so Much Ben Levitan for sharing!
>
> I know i am still a beginner , but your minus 1 technique looks similar to the CONSTANT method
> i have read about in the old versions of filemaker
>
> Where constant 1 = Constant 1 , however your -1 is kinda nifty!
>
> -i
>

> On Mar 27, 2012, at 4:53 PM, Ben Levitan wrote:
>

>> I put together this example file on how to add multiple child records (related records) to a parent record.   I show methods including the portal method, the magic key and my method (which I guess I'll call the Minus 1 method).  I'm attaching it here but it that doesn't transfer to the board you can pull it down from my website at
>> http://www.benlevitan.com/magic_key_example.fp7
>>

>> Ben Levitan
>> Wireless Cellular Telecommunications Expert
>> Expert Witness Services
>> www.BenLevitan.com
>> 919/420-0924
>> [hidden email]
>> skype:BenLevitan
>> Designated as "Elite Expert™ 2009
>> "Nancy Grace Show" and "Shepard Smith, Studio B" Guest
>> Please Sign Up to follow "Ben Levitan" on Twitter to get TV notifications
>>
>> Hot Cases:
>> - Bologovich Media Sheet is now at www.BenLevitan.com/news
>> - Calyee Anthony - www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/
>> - Annie Le - www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/

Re: Magic Key

Ben Levitan LLC

I'm curious - how do you effect deletes without a portal? It's my understanding
that if you want to mix creation/modification with deletion, you need to walk a
portal for the deletes. I've come up short thinking of another way to accomplish
this.

 Look at my field_set_to_minus_1 system.  If you want to modify or delete a related record you can simply  change the 1 to -1.  That's a lousy explanation but the example file is good.

Ben Levitan
Wireless Cellular Telecommunications Expert
Expert Witness Services
www.BenLevitan.com
919/420-0924
[hidden email]
skype:BenLevitan
Designated as "Elite Expert™ 2009
"Nancy Grace Show" and "Shepard Smith, Studio B" Guest
Please Sign Up to follow "Ben Levitan" on Twitter to get TV notifications

Hot Cases:
- Bologovich Media Sheet is now at www.BenLevitan.com/news
- Calyee Anthony - www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/
- Annie Le - www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/

Re: Magic Key

Bruce Robertson

On Mar 27, 2012, at 12:26 PM, Corn Walker wrote:

> On 27 Mar 2012, at 12:29 PM, John Weinshel wrote:
>
>> You can use the same technique without a portal, as Bruce showed me a
>> while back. The effect is the same-- it's all in memory, and can be rolled
>> back, until the final commit. Danny Mack showed at POE in Portland 2010
>> that the portal version, counter-intuitively for me, at least, is
>> generally faster. The portal version also makes it less likely you'll
>> commit unintentionally, by, say, changing layouts.
>
> I'm curious - how do you effect deletes without a portal? It's my understanding that if you want to mix creation/modification with deletion, you need to walk a portal for the deletes. I've come up short thinking of another way to accomplish this.
>
> Cheers,
> -corn
>

> Cornelius Walker
> The Proof Group
> http://proofgroup.com/

True; but you can make a single row portal based on a global and go to that object and use the delete portal row command. The portal doesn't have to contain any fields.

Bruce Robertson

Re: Magic Key

Malcolm Fitzgerald-4

On 28/03/2012, at 6:26 AM, Corn Walker wrote:

> On 27 Mar 2012, at 12:29 PM, John Weinshel wrote:
>
>> You can use the same technique without a portal, as Bruce showed me a
>> while back. The effect is the same-- it's all in memory, and can be rolled
>> back, until the final commit. Danny Mack showed at POE in Portland 2010
>> that the portal version, counter-intuitively for me, at least, is
>> generally faster. The portal version also makes it less likely you'll
>> commit unintentionally, by, say, changing layouts.
>
> I'm curious - how do you effect deletes without a portal? It's my understanding that if you want to mix creation/modification with deletion, you need to walk a portal for the deletes. I've come up short thinking of another way to accomplish this.

If nothing has been committed then Revert Record should do it. No?

Malcolm

Re: Magic Key

Corn Walker
On 27 Mar 2012, at 6:00 PM, Bruce Robertson wrote:

> True; but you can make a single row portal based on a global and go to that object and use the delete portal row command. The portal doesn't have to contain any fields.

Right, you can always populate the keys to relate different records, but my understanding is that the "delete" command in particular requires a portal of at least one row (and as you said, doesn't need any fields) to use the Delete Portal Row command.

As for Daniel's auto-enter method, I'm not sure when I'd use it. With it you have one shot to create/modify the newly created record. Even if you save the newly created record's key in a variable, until that record is committed it is no longer accessible through this technique when the global key field is cleared. When I've needed to create multiple records in a loop, I've done the following:

Set Variable [$void; Value:Let ( [ $i = 0; $j = ValueCount ( $listOfValues )]; $void )]
Loop
  Exit Loop If [Let ( [ $i = $i + 1; $recordValue = GetValue ( $listOfValues; $i )]; $i > $j )]
  Set Field [creator::gRecordKey; null]
  Set Field [child creator::someField; $recordValue]
End Loop

It seems like Daniel's technique would eliminate the first Set Field[] step that clears my gRecordKey field.

Cheers,
-corn

Cornelius Walker
The Proof Group
http://proofgroup.com/

Re: Magic Key

Corn Walker
On 27 Mar 2012, at 6:19 PM, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:

> If nothing has been committed then Revert Record should do it. No?

I don't mean deletion of records that we created during the transaction; I mean other records in general. For example, if your process required deleting two line items and creating three new line items you would need a portal to bundle all five operations into an atomic transaction.

Cheers,
-corn

Cornelius Walker
The Proof Group
http://proofgroup.com/

Re: Magic Key - EXAMPLE FILE

Bruce Robertson

On Mar 27, 2012, at 2:33 PM, Daniel Wood wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm loving Magic Key.  I spent some time last week looking over it and trying to tweak it, and also shared it out our weekly dev meetings here at work
>
> The end result is the file you can check out below.  This is similar to your technique Ben where are using the relationship to generate multiple child records.
>
> http://www.teamdf.com/daniel/magickey.zip
>
> In our version we have set the magicKey field to be an auto-enter calculation. Upon a child record being created, the primary key of the child record is pushed back into magicKey, which forces the re-evaluation of the magicKey auto enter calc. The calculation simply tells magicKey field to clear itself, and the result of this clearing of magicKey breaks the realtionship to the record we just generated. Why you ask? Well in doing so we are automatically clearing the relationship which allows us to enter a new child record in right away.
>
> The idea being you might want a quickfire way to generate child records. Consider a solution where you have records that have associated "Tag" records and you want to just type in tags without the hassle of hitting other buttons to create the records.
>
> In this example we've also put a script trigger on the entry field so that if the user hits the tab or return keys, it automatically manages things so that they can just type in a tag, hit tab, then go onto typing the next one...
>
> Cheers!
> Daniel

Nice straightforward demo. Could use the enter key as well (10). But perhaps you intend the enter key to end the edit activity?

Bruce Robertson

Re: Magic Key - EXAMPLE FILE

Daniel Wood
Thanks Bruce, yeah we decided to have Enter be the way the field could be exited (that and a mouse click outside the field).

This is just a very specific use of magicKey to achieve some desired behavior,  it wouldn't suit every situation I'm sure but illustrates one use of it.  The thing I like about these types of FileMaker "quirks" is the range of ways they can be manipulated and used.  Corn you are right in that this would be useless as a method of creating related records if you wanted to later revert, or cancel at some point, or control how many records are created and so on- but as a quickfire way of adding cheap child records (like tags) it is nice.

One outcome of the MagicKey which could be explore further is because the primary key value (or whatever you link your magicKey to in the relationship) is pushed back through the relationship to the parent table, this action can trigger auto-enters on the parent table.  Lets say you were adding payments to an invoice,  when a payment is added, you could fire off an auto-enter on the parent table that sums the payment total for storing on the invoice if you need to - that isn't going to handle edits or deletes of payments which would have to be managed in other ways, but the whole point here is the concept that the creation of a child record can trigger lookups or auto-enters in parent table without any user interaction :)

Cheers
Daniel

On 28/03/2012, at 11:37 AM, Bruce Robertson wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2012, at 2:33 PM, Daniel Wood wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm loving Magic Key.  I spent some time last week looking over it and trying to tweak it, and also shared it out our weekly dev meetings here at work
>>
>> The end result is the file you can check out below.  This is similar to your technique Ben where are using the relationship to generate multiple child records.
>>
>> http://www.teamdf.com/daniel/magickey.zip
>>
>> In our version we have set the magicKey field to be an auto-enter calculation. Upon a child record being created, the primary key of the child record is pushed back into magicKey, which forces the re-evaluation of the magicKey auto enter calc. The calculation simply tells magicKey field to clear itself, and the result of this clearing of magicKey breaks the realtionship to the record we just generated. Why you ask? Well in doing so we are automatically clearing the relationship which allows us to enter a new child record in right away.
>>
>> The idea being you might want a quickfire way to generate child records. Consider a solution where you have records that have associated "Tag" records and you want to just type in tags without the hassle of hitting other buttons to create the records.
>>
>> In this example we've also put a script trigger on the entry field so that if the user hits the tab or return keys, it automatically manages things so that they can just type in a tag, hit tab, then go onto typing the next one...
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Daniel
>
> Nice straightforward demo. Could use the enter key as well (10). But perhaps you intend the enter key to end the edit activity?
>
> Bruce Robertson

Re: Magic Key - EXAMPLE FILE

Bruce Robertson
No need to do that; we have had multi-predicate relations for a while now.

Define the magic key relation to be:

g_Magic_Key = attraction_ID
City_ID = Associated_city_ID

This also allows you to select the related record by populating g_magic_key and you are ensured that the related record is linked to your current record.

Note that you could extend the method something like this:

g_Magic_Key = attraction_ID
g_attraction_notes = attraction_notes
g_fun_rating= fun_rating
g_calc_evaluates_to_1 = Field_set_to_1
City_ID = Associated_city_ID

Where g_calc only =  1 based on whatever criteria you have defined for the calc.

Bruce Robertson

On Mar 27, 2012, at 2:40 PM, Ben Levitan wrote:

> I love the magic key because it is cool, but in the real world, I've gone back to using my old method (minus one method) because it's just easier and does the same thing better.  The parent is automatically populated and you only have to set one parameter in the end.  Set -1 to 1.
>

> Ben Levitan
> Wireless Cellular Telecommunications Expert
> Expert Witness Services
> www.BenLevitan.com
> 919/420-0924
> [hidden email]
> skype:BenLevitan
> Designated as "Elite Expert™ 2009
> "Nancy Grace Show" and "Shepard Smith, Studio B" Guest
> Please Sign Up to follow "Ben Levitan" on Twitter to get TV notifications
>
> Hot Cases:
> - Bologovich Media Sheet is now at www.BenLevitan.com/news
> - Calyee Anthony - www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/
> - Annie Le - www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/

Re: Magic Key - EXAMPLE FILE

Todd Geist
Thanks for the shout out
:-)

I covered some of this in my session at last years DevCon.  Here is a
link to the slides, demo files, and the entire session video, in case
anyone is interested.

http://www.geistinteractive.com/2011/08/09/understanding-commit-record-video

Thanks

Todd

--
Todd Geist
geist interactive <http://www.geistinteractive.com>

Re: Magic Key - EXAMPLE FILE

Bruce Robertson
Cool. Is there a non-Flash version of the video available somewhere?

Bruce

On Mar 27, 2012, at 4:44 PM, Todd Geist wrote:

> Thanks for the shout out
> :-)
>
> I covered some of this in my session at last years DevCon.  Here is a
> link to the slides, demo files, and the entire session video, in case
> anyone is interested.
>

> http://www.geistinteractive.com/2011/08/09/understanding-commit-record-video
>

> Thanks
>
> Todd

Re: Magic Key - EXAMPLE FILE

Todd Geist
Hi Bruce,

I believe that the video player only uses flash when there is no other
option. It should use HTML5 by default.  So I am not sure why you are
getting flash.  If I visit the site on my iPhone, I can play the movie
just fine.  So clearly HTML5 playback is working.

What browser are you trying to use?

Thanks

Todd

> Bruce Robertson <mailto:[hidden email]>
> March 27, 2012 5:55 PM
> Cool. Is there a non-Flash version of the video available somewhere?
>
> Bruce

> Todd Geist <mailto:[hidden email]>
> March 27, 2012 4:44 PM
> Thanks for the shout out
> :-)
>
> I covered some of this in my session at last years DevCon.  Here is a
> link to the slides, demo files, and the entire session video, in case
> anyone is interested.
>

> http://www.geistinteractive.com/2011/08/09/understanding-commit-record-video
>

> Thanks
>
> Todd
>

> Corn Walker wrote:
>> This technique is at the heart of transactional processing in FileMaker. Todd Geist has done a lot of work in this area, you should check out some of the things he's written on the subject.
>

> Bruce Robertson <mailto:[hidden email]>
> March 27, 2012 3:49 PM
> No need to do that; we have had multi-predicate relations for a while now.
>
> Define the magic key relation to be:
>
> g_Magic_Key = attraction_ID
> City_ID = Associated_city_ID
>
> This also allows you to select the related record by populating
> g_magic_key and you are ensured that the related record is linked to
> your current record.
>
> Note that you could extend the method something like this:
>
> g_Magic_Key = attraction_ID
> g_attraction_notes = attraction_notes
> g_fun_rating= fun_rating
> g_calc_evaluates_to_1 = Field_set_to_1
> City_ID = Associated_city_ID
>
> Where g_calc only = 1 based on whatever criteria you have defined for
> the calc.
>
> Bruce Robertson

> Ben Levitan <mailto:[hidden email]>
> March 27, 2012 2:40 PM
>   I love the magic key because it is cool, but in the real world, I've gone back to using my old method (minus one method) because it's just easier and does the same thing better.  The parent is automatically populated and you only have to set one parameter in the end.  Set -1 to 1.
>

> Ben Levitan
> Wireless Cellular Telecommunications Expert
> Expert Witness Services
> www.BenLevitan.com
> 919/420-0924
> [hidden email]
> skype:BenLevitan
> Designated as "Elite Expert^(TM) 2009
> "Nancy Grace Show" and "Shepard Smith, Studio B" Guest
> Please Sign Up to follow "Ben Levitan" on Twitter to get TV notifications
>
> Hot Cases:
> - Bologovich Media Sheet is now at www.BenLevitan.com/news
> - Calyee Anthony - www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/
> - Annie Le - www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/

Safari 5.1.4 on an iMac 10.6.8.

Probably will be visible fine when viewed with my iPhone or iPad.

Bruce

On Mar 27, 2012, at 6:03 PM, Todd Geist wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Bruce Robertson

>> Ben Levitan <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> March 27, 2012 2:40 PM
>>  I love the magic key because it is cool, but in the real world, I've gone back to using my old method (minus one method) because it's just easier and does the same thing better.  The parent is automatically populated and you only have to set one parameter in the end.  Set -1 to 1.
>>

>> Ben Levitan
>> Wireless Cellular Telecommunications Expert
>> Expert Witness Services
>> www.BenLevitan.com
>> 919/420-0924
>> [hidden email]
>> skype:BenLevitan
>> Designated as "Elite Expert^(TM) 2009
>> "Nancy Grace Show" and "Shepard Smith, Studio B" Guest
>> Please Sign Up to follow "Ben Levitan" on Twitter to get TV notifications

I've got an old example file demonstrating several auto-create techniques.

I have updated it slightly to demonstrate auto-create across a six-level chain relationship.

I note that it does allow commit/revert across the chained set of related records.

http://concise-design.com/downloads/autocreatev2.zip

I would be curious to hear Todd's comments on chained auto-create relationships.

Bruce Robertson

Re: Magic Key - EXAMPLE FILE

Todd Geist
hmm..  I must have left the "DoNotShowThisToBruce" flag on when I
recorded the video.

:-)

Works just fine here on
  safari 5.1.4 Lion
  safari 5.1.4 10.6.8
  firefox 11
  chrome 19.0.1077.3
  iOS5.1 iPad and iPhone

Heck it even works on Windows 7 with IE 9

Seriously though, any chance you have a Flash blocker, or a JavaScript
blocker like Ghostery?