Preventing some menu items from loading

Simon Clement
Under manage menus when specifying a custom menu item you have the option
of specifying the conditions under which that menu item should load.

I can prevent a menu item from loading by entering something like "1+1 ≠2"
but if I enter a variable I know produces a false result eg
($$registered≠1) or try and point to a field with a similar calculation
this doesn't work.

This is the case even when restarting the file or the application. Should
this work as I expect?

Regards

Simon

Simon Clement
Arawak Database Solutions
27 Osborne Drive
Mt. Martha 3934
www.arawak.com.au

FileMaker 15 on a Mac

Re: Preventing some menu items from loading

Tom Fitch
I think the key is that when the value changes, you need to install
the menu set again, even if it's already installed.

Also, it's not necessary to create calculations like "1+1 ≠2" in order
to create "false" -- just use 0 or the word "False" and conversely use
1 or "True."

Tom Fitch
FileMaker Pro Certified Developer
Portland, Oregon

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Simon Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Under manage menus when specifying a custom menu item you have the option
> of specifying the conditions under which that menu item should load.
>
> I can prevent a menu item from loading by entering something like "1+1 ≠2"
> but if I enter a variable I know produces a false result eg
> ($$registered≠1) or try and point to a field with a similar calculation
> this doesn't work.
>
> This is the case even when restarting the file or the application. Should
> this work as I expect?
>

> Regards
>
> Simon
>
> Simon Clement
> Arawak Database Solutions
> 27 Osborne Drive
> Mt. Martha 3934
> www.arawak.com.au
>
> FileMaker 15 on a Mac

Re: Preventing some menu items from loading

Simon Clement
Thanks Tom for the insights.

As suggested the issue was making sure the variables are set _before_ the
menu set is installed.

Regards

Simon

Simon Clement
Arawak Database Solutions
27 Osborne Drive
Mt. Martha 3934
www.arawak.com.au

On 24 July 2017 at 15:46, Tom Fitch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think the key is that when the value changes, you need to install
> the menu set again, even if it's already installed.
>
> Also, it's not necessary to create calculations like "1+1 ≠2" in order
> to create "false" -- just use 0 or the word "False" and conversely use
> 1 or "True."
>
> Tom Fitch
> FileMaker Pro Certified Developer
> Portland, Oregon
>

> On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Simon Clement <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Under manage menus when specifying a custom menu item you have the option
> > of specifying the conditions under which that menu item should load.
> >
> > I can prevent a menu item from loading by entering something like "1+1
> ≠2"
> > but if I enter a variable I know produces a false result eg
> > ($$registered≠1) or try and point to a field with a similar calculation
> > this doesn't work.
> >
> > This is the case even when restarting the file or the application. Should
> > this work as I expect?
> >

> > Regards
> >
> > Simon
> >
> > Simon Clement
> > Arawak Database Solutions
> > 27 Osborne Drive
> > Mt. Martha 3934
> > www.arawak.com.au
> >
> > FileMaker 15 on a Mac

Re: Preventing some menu items from loading

Simon Clement
p.s Was in Portland early this month for just a few days. Family wedding.
No time for anything else before driving down the coast to SF. Beautiful!
Next time I'll come and harass you in person!

Simon