Quantcast

Out of memory at line: 12

truckerterry
Hello Experts,

Please explain why this is happening?

Error message: Out of memory at line: 12

How to fix?

Appreciate any suggestion.

I have heard you can "Flush Cashe to Disk" but only as a single user
solution, not a hosted solution?

FMPSA 11 Mac Mini
FMPA Windows

Thank You,
Terry Melancon Sr.

Re: Out of memory at line: 12

Steve Cassidy-3
Terry

I've only seen Filemaker give a message anything like this WAY back in
time. I'd called a script recursively (from within itself).

I have no idea if this would still lead to a memory error like this in
FMPA 11.

Is there any chance you are calling a script from within itself?

Steve

On May 1, 2010, at 1:51 AM, Terry Melancon Sr. wrote:

> Hello Experts,
>
> Please explain why this is happening?
>
> Error message: Out of memory at line: 12
>
> How to fix?
>
> Appreciate any suggestion.
>
> I have heard you can "Flush Cashe to Disk" but only as a single user
> solution, not a hosted solution?
>
> FMPSA 11 Mac Mini
> FMPA Windows
>
> Thank You,
> Terry Melancon Sr.

Re: Out of memory at line: 12

truckerterry
Steve,

Yes and it is a timed script too, every 10 minutes.

Terry

On May 1, 2010, at 12:56 AM, Steve Cassidy wrote:

> Terry
>
> I've only seen Filemaker give a message anything like this WAY back
> in time. I'd called a script recursively (from within itself).
>
> I have no idea if this would still lead to a memory error like this
> in FMPA 11.
>
> Is there any chance you are calling a script from within itself?
>
> Steve
>

> On May 1, 2010, at 1:51 AM, Terry Melancon Sr. wrote:
>
>> Hello Experts,
>>
>> Please explain why this is happening?
>>
>> Error message: Out of memory at line: 12
>>
>> How to fix?
>>
>> Appreciate any suggestion.
>>
>> I have heard you can "Flush Cashe to Disk" but only as a single
>> user solution, not a hosted solution?
>>
>> FMPSA 11 Mac Mini
>> FMPA Windows
>>
>> Thank You,
>> Terry Melancon Sr.

Re: Out of memory at line: 12

Steve Cassidy-3
Terry

It used to be important to make sure that any script terminated
properly, so recursively calling a script within itself would
eventually cause a memory problem – some kind of stack overflow I
suppose.

As I said, I have no idea if that will still cause problems with
Filemaker – maybe there is some built-in trap for it – but either way
it is not very good programming.

So if by 'yes' you mean you have such a script, I'd rewrite to avoid
the recursion.

Steve

On May 1, 2010, at 9:30 AM, Terry Melancon Sr. wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Yes and it is a timed script too, every 10 minutes.
>
> Terry

Re: Out of memory at line: 12

truckerterry
Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I have been doing some more testing and found
out that if I am running this on my Mac that the problems
don't happen. Any ideas on why this doesn't happen on a Mac?

Terry

FMPSA 11 Mac Mini
FMPA Windows
FMPA Mac

On May 1, 2010, at 1:30 AM, Terry Melancon Sr. wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Yes and it is a timed script too, every 10 minutes.
>
> Terry
>
> On May 1, 2010, at 12:56 AM, Steve Cassidy wrote:
>
>> Terry
>>
>> I've only seen Filemaker give a message anything like this WAY back
>> in time. I'd called a script recursively (from within itself).
>>
>> I have no idea if this would still lead to a memory error like this
>> in FMPA 11.
>>
>> Is there any chance you are calling a script from within itself?
>>
>> Steve
>>

>> On May 1, 2010, at 1:51 AM, Terry Melancon Sr. wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Experts,
>>>
>>> Please explain why this is happening?
>>>
>>> Error message: Out of memory at line: 12
>>>
>>> How to fix?
>>>
>>> Appreciate any suggestion.
>>>
>>> I have heard you can "Flush Cashe to Disk" but only as a single
>>> user solution, not a hosted solution?
>>>
>>> FMPSA 11 Mac Mini
>>> FMPA Windows
>>>
>>> Thank You,
>>> Terry Melancon Sr.

Re: Out of memory at line: 12

Steve Cassidy-3

On May 10, 2010, at 4:12 AM, Terry Melancon Sr. wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I have been doing some more testing and found
> out that if I am running this on my Mac that the problems
> don't happen. Any ideas on why this doesn't happen on a Mac?
>
> Terry
>
> FMPSA 11 Mac Mini
> FMPA Windows
> FMPA Mac

Terry

I'm no expert on memory management and how it differs among OSs. But
it wouldn't surprise me, since these are obviously OS functions, if
the states in which the different OSs return errors are different.

If your script is recursively calling itself (and you really should
get rid of that if it is), then maybe not enough recursions take place
to overflow the assigned memory on your Mac, while they do on Windows.

To be honest, it is barely worth speculating unless the cause of this
is other than recursive calls. So far, you haven't really made that
clear. Does your script recursively call itself?

Steve