Opener file to start stop service

Dan Kelly-2
Is there a way or command to open a file on client, if the service is not
running on the server, send a command to start it, when closing stop the
service on the server machine, would it also be a shell command and would
this work on Mac and C?

Best Regards,

Dan Kelly

Yachtlink

954 663 1630

Re: Opener file to start stop service

Bob Patin
You’d have to have access to the machine; I’m actually trying to figure out a way to do that, and although I’ve come up with a way to start/stop/restart using PHP and terminal commands, it’s got to be on the machine itself.

If anyone knows how to do it another way, I’d love to know because it’d solve a problem I’ve been trying to resolve all afternoon.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

> On May 24, 2017, at 3:31 PM, Dan Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there a way or command to open a file on client, if the service is not
> running on the server, send a command to start it, when closing stop the
> service on the server machine, would it also be a shell command and would
> this work on Mac and C?
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Dan Kelly
>
> Yachtlink
>
> 954 663 1630

Re: Opener file to start stop service

Richard DeShong
In a Windows network environment, the service control command (SC) has a
URL option to allow managing a service on the remote computer.  The user
would need network admin rights, or a special account that is permitted
specifically for this purpose.

On 5/24/2017 2:04 PM, Bob Patin wrote:

> You’d have to have access to the machine; I’m actually trying to figure out a way to do that, and although I’ve come up with a way to start/stop/restart using PHP and terminal commands, it’s got to be on the machine itself.
>
> If anyone knows how to do it another way, I’d love to know because it’d solve a problem I’ve been trying to resolve all afternoon.
>
> Bob Patin
> Longterm Solutions
> [hidden email]
> 615-333-6858
> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
> -
> iChat: [hidden email]
> Twitter: bobpatin
> —
> FileMaker Consulting
> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting
>
>> On May 24, 2017, at 3:31 PM, Dan Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way or command to open a file on client, if the service is not
>> running on the server, send a command to start it, when closing stop the
>> service on the server machine, would it also be a shell command and would
>> this work on Mac and C?
>>

>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Dan Kelly
>>
>> Yachtlink
>>
>> 954 663 1630

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell

RE: Opener file to start stop service

Dan Kelly-2
Yes I noticed your other thread and it reminded me of this, I'm trying to do something remotely, without the service, and also allow the person locally to log in randomly and startup the service, it's not a must have just curious if it can work.

Best Regards,
Dan Kelly
Yachtlink
954 663 1630

You’d have to have access to the machine; I’m actually trying to figure out a way to do that, and although I’ve come up with a way to start/stop/restart using PHP and terminal commands, it’s got to be on the machine itself.

If anyone knows how to do it another way, I’d love to know because it’d solve a problem I’ve been trying to resolve all afternoon.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting
FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

> On May 24, 2017, at 3:31 PM, Dan Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there a way or command to open a file on client, if the service is
> not running on the server, send a command to start it, when closing
> stop the service on the server machine, would it also be a shell
> command and would this work on Mac and C?
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Dan Kelly
>
> Yachtlink
>
> 954 663 1630

RE: Opener file to start stop service

Dan Kelly-2
Would I use the Open URL step?
I've tried but not sure what the syntax would be

Best Regards,
Dan Kelly
Yachtlink
954 663 1630

In a Windows network environment, the service control command (SC) has a URL option to allow managing a service on the remote computer.  The user would need network admin rights, or a special account that is permitted specifically for this purpose.

On 5/24/2017 2:04 PM, Bob Patin wrote:

> You’d have to have access to the machine; I’m actually trying to figure out a way to do that, and although I’ve come up with a way to start/stop/restart using PHP and terminal commands, it’s got to be on the machine itself.
>
> If anyone knows how to do it another way, I’d love to know because it’d solve a problem I’ve been trying to resolve all afternoon.
>
> Bob Patin
> Longterm Solutions
> [hidden email]
> 615-333-6858
> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
> -
> iChat: [hidden email]
> Twitter: bobpatin
> —
> FileMaker Consulting
> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker PHP • Full email
> services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting
>
>> On May 24, 2017, at 3:31 PM, Dan Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way or command to open a file on client, if the service is
>> not running on the server, send a command to start it, when closing
>> stop the service on the server machine, would it also be a shell
>> command and would this work on Mac and C?
>>

>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Dan Kelly
>>
>> Yachtlink
>>
>> 954 663 1630

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell

Re: Opener file to start stop service

Richard DeShong
Dan,

Open URL is for opening files.

SC is a Windows, non GUI, application that needs to run from a cmd
prompt or powershell.  There are several scripting languages you can use
to call it.  It can also be called from a schedule. But definitely not
from a browser.

The basic format is:

SC  \\myserver  <command> <service>

You can start, stop, and query a service.  You can set startup options.

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell