New router affects remote FMP access - "affect" meaning prevents

New router affects remote FMP access - "affect" meaning prevents

Stephen Wonfor-3
Hi

A client has, for the nth time, changed their router.  The new one is set to forward port 5003 to their Filemaker Server.  The settings all look correct.  Might there be something else in the router - an “Edge” - that might block PF actions?

Stephen

---

Age-otori (Japanese) To look worse after a haircut.

Re: New router affects remote FMP access - "affect" meaning prevents

Richard DeShong
Besides port-address type rules, many routers also have firewall
capabilities such as "packet sniffing".  That is, they look at the
packet data and compare it against a list of security rules.  An example
would be obfuscated javascript, which some developers use to try to keep
others from using/stealing their cool ideas. Problem is, malware writers
also use it.  So there might be another of these security rules that is
blocking the FM packet.

Typically, there is an exception list so that packets from specified
source ip's are not scrutinized.

On 4/12/2017 11:41 AM, Stephen Wonfor wrote:

> Hi
>
> A client has, for the nth time, changed their router.  The new one is set to forward port 5003 to their Filemaker Server.  The settings all look correct.  Might there be something else in the router - an “Edge” - that might block PF actions?
>
> Stephen
>
> ---
>
> Age-otori (Japanese) To look worse after a haircut.

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell

Re: New router affects remote FMP access - "affect" meaning prevents

Stephen Wonfor-3
Richard

That is good info - I will pass it on.  Client installs security and tv systems in bars and restaurants - a new router shines like a diamond in their world.

Stephen

---

"I never know what I think about something until I read what I've written on it." (William Faulkner)

> On Apr 12, 2017, at 12:55 PM, Richard DeShong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Besides port-address type rules, many routers also have firewall capabilities such as "packet sniffing".  That is, they look at the packet data and compare it against a list of security rules.  An example would be obfuscated javascript, which some developers use to try to keep others from using/stealing their cool ideas. Problem is, malware writers also use it.  So there might be another of these security rules that is blocking the FM packet.
>
> Typically, there is an exception list so that packets from specified source ip's are not scrutinized.
>

> On 4/12/2017 11:41 AM, Stephen Wonfor wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> A client has, for the nth time, changed their router.  The new one is set to forward port 5003 to their Filemaker Server.  The settings all look correct.  Might there be something else in the router - an “Edge” - that might block PF actions?
>>
>> Stephen
>>
>> ---
>>
>> Age-otori (Japanese) To look worse after a haircut.

> Richard DeShong
> Logic Tools
> 510-642-5123 office
> 925-285-1088 cell

Re: New router affects remote FMP access - "affect" meaning prevents

tim ballering-2
Can you connect to the internet from the server box using a browser?   If not you may have a cable that wasn’t plugged in or more likely the sever IP address conflicts or otherwise is set wrong.  Examples:

If the server was set to fixed IP address in a low range, perhaps DHCP server assigned its address to something that connected first.  Or perhaps a new piece of equipment has the same fixed IP address. I use LanScan to check for other device addresses.

Is the new router address the same and the old router address?  If the old router was 192.168.01 and the new router is 192.168.1.1 you may have to change settings on the server.

Tim Ballering
[hidden email]

> On Apr 12, 2017, at 1:41 PM, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> A client has, for the nth time, changed their router.  The new one is set to forward port 5003 to their Filemaker Server.  The settings all look correct.  Might there be something else in the router - an “Edge” - that might block PF actions?
>
> Stephen
>
> ---
>
> Age-otori (Japanese) To look worse after a haircut.

Re: New router affects remote FMP access - "affect" meaning prevents

Stephen Wonfor-3
Tim

Things seem to be in order.  But I’ll have the guys there check the DHCP range to see if new router conflicts there.

Stephen

---

"There are strings in the human heart that had better not be vibrated." ~ Charles Dickens