Lookup vs. Auto-Enter Calculation

12

Re: Lookup vs. Auto-Enter Calculation

Corn Walker
On Nov 17, 2009, at 10:13 PM, Bruce Robertson wrote:

> One place where lookups are the only answer is with repeating fields.

Thanks for pointing out that omission. Auto-enter calculated values
are only populated for the first repetition of a field whereas looked-
up values are populated for each repetition. Which I should have
remembered since I was just dealing with this earlier today.

Cheers,
-corn

Cornelius Walker
The Proof Group
http://proofgroup.com/

Re: Lookup vs. Auto-Enter Calculation

Kevin Frank
First off, Corn, that was a great posting. Thanks for taking the time
to write that up.

At 06:47 PM 11/17/2009, Cornelius Walker wrote:
>This logically leads us to ask another question: why is "Looked-up
>value" still around?

One reason: to facilitate setting and clearing a bunch of field reps.

I uploaded a demo to my web site earlier this year to illustrate this
concept. This discussion prompted me to refine it a bit... if you are
so inclined, check out the "Set and Clear Repeating Field via Lookup"
demo here:

http://www.kevinfrank.com/demo-files.html

Or download directly...

http://tinyurl.com/yeh2trz

Regards,
Kevin

Kevin Frank & Associates
[hidden email]
www.kevinfrank.com

RE: Lookup vs. Auto-Enter Calculation

VanBuskirk, Patricia
I agree ... excellent info, Corn!  Thanks to ALL for posting ... I've
enjoyed the thread.

Trish

First off, Corn, that was a great posting. Thanks for taking the time
to write that up.

At 06:47 PM 11/17/2009, Cornelius Walker wrote:
>This logically leads us to ask another question: why is "Looked-up
>value" still around?

One reason: to facilitate setting and clearing a bunch of field reps.

I uploaded a demo to my web site earlier this year to illustrate this
concept. This discussion prompted me to refine it a bit... if you are
so inclined, check out the "Set and Clear Repeating Field via Lookup"
demo here:

http://www.kevinfrank.com/demo-files.html

Or download directly...

http://tinyurl.com/yeh2trz

Regards,
Kevin

Kevin Frank & Associates
[hidden email]
www.kevinfrank.com

Re: Lookup vs. Auto-Enter Calculation

G. Pupita
Hi Corn

> You bring up two questions actually: what differentiates a auto-
> enter "looked-up" value from an auto-enter "calculated" value and
> why use either one. The current difference between a Lookup and an
> Auto-enter Calculation lies in the options present for each.
There is also an important difference when duplicating records: auto-
enter calcs will re-evaluate while lookups will not ...

Ciao
G. Pupita
Certified FileMaker 10 Developer
FileMaker Business Alliance

Re: Lookup vs. Auto-Enter Calculation

Beverly Voth-2
On 11/18/09 7:24 PM, "G. Pupita" <[hidden email]> wrote in whole or in
part:

> Hi Corn
>
>> You bring up two questions actually: what differentiates a auto-
>> enter "looked-up" value from an auto-enter "calculated" value and
>> why use either one. The current difference between a Lookup and an
>> Auto-enter Calculation lies in the options present for each.
> There is also an important difference when duplicating records: auto-
> enter calcs will re-evaluate while lookups will not ...

G, and that may be a "preference" (to have duplicate invoices recalc the new
price items, for example). An "exact copy-of" probably has a use, too, but
can be scripted to prevent changes.

Beverly

Re: Lookup vs. Auto-Enter Calculation

Eric Taub
Another difference is that lookups are only recalculated when the foreign key on which its relationship is based changes.

With the Evaluate command, you can define an auto-enter calc that updates itself whenever any of the fields defined to be evaluated change.

Forgive me if that was already brought up in this thread!

Eric Taub
Certified FileMaker Pro 9 Developer
[hidden email]
646 233 1979

On Nov 20, 2009, at 8:32 AM, Beverly Voth wrote:

> On 11/18/09 7:24 PM, "G. Pupita" <[hidden email]> wrote in whole or in
> part:
>
>> Hi Corn
>>
>>> You bring up two questions actually: what differentiates a auto-
>>> enter "looked-up" value from an auto-enter "calculated" value and
>>> why use either one. The current difference between a Lookup and an
>>> Auto-enter Calculation lies in the options present for each.
>> There is also an important difference when duplicating records: auto-
>> enter calcs will re-evaluate while lookups will not ...
>
> G, and that may be a "preference" (to have duplicate invoices recalc the new
> price items, for example). An "exact copy-of" probably has a use, too, but
> can be scripted to prevent changes.
>
> Beverly

12