Hitchhiker's Guide To Filemaker - Page 34,466,129 section 3

Hitchhiker's Guide To Filemaker - Page 34,466,129 section 3

Stephen Wonfor-3
Hi

Well, this was a good one.  I built a little FMGo app for my iPhone where I keep track of my blood sugar levels and foods that I eat.  The iPhone is very keen to substitute a emoji orange when I type in the word “orange”.  So I let it.
I find that I can copy the orange emoji and Filemaker will search on it and succeed.  (OSX for sure)
I find that the orange emoji will be included in a csv export.

Eventually this made sense as the emoji is just another unicode character.  Still...

Which all lead me to this page - http://fullcityconsulting.com/emoji-variables <http://fullcityconsulting.com/emoji-variables> - where Adam Aronson takes it further and uses emoji characters in variable names and gets them to appear in Fileamker dialog boxes.

Re: Hitchhiker's Guide To Filemaker - Page 34,466,129 section 3

Damian Kelly
Let(
$🐝 = “Bee”;

$🐝

)

> On 6 Jul 2017, at 16:11, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Well, this was a good one.  I built a little FMGo app for my iPhone where I keep track of my blood sugar levels and foods that I eat.  The iPhone is very keen to substitute a emoji orange when I type in the word “orange”.  So I let it.
> I find that I can copy the orange emoji and Filemaker will search on it and succeed.  (OSX for sure)
> I find that the orange emoji will be included in a csv export.
>
> Eventually this made sense as the emoji is just another unicode character.  Still...
>
> Which all lead me to this page - http://fullcityconsulting.com/emoji-variables <http://fullcityconsulting.com/emoji-variables> - where Adam Aronson takes it further and uses emoji characters in variable names and gets them to appear in Fileamker dialog boxes.
>
> Stephen

Re: Hitchhiker's Guide To Filemaker - Page 34,466,129 section 3

Damian Kelly
Which falls very much into the just because you can does not mean you should

> On 6 Jul 2017, at 16:46, Damian Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Let(
> $🐝 = “Bee”;
>
> $🐝
>
> )
>

>> On 6 Jul 2017, at 16:11, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Well, this was a good one.  I built a little FMGo app for my iPhone where I keep track of my blood sugar levels and foods that I eat.  The iPhone is very keen to substitute a emoji orange when I type in the word “orange”.  So I let it.
>> I find that I can copy the orange emoji and Filemaker will search on it and succeed.  (OSX for sure)
>> I find that the orange emoji will be included in a csv export.
>>
>> Eventually this made sense as the emoji is just another unicode character.  Still...
>>
>> Which all lead me to this page - http://fullcityconsulting.com/emoji-variables <http://fullcityconsulting.com/emoji-variables> - where Adam Aronson takes it further and uses emoji characters in variable names and gets them to appear in Fileamker dialog boxes.
>>
>> Stephen

Re: Hitchhiker's Guide To Filemaker - Page 34,466,129 section 3

Stephen Wonfor-3
Damian

Agreed.  Though, late at night, Resistance Is Often Futile.

Stephen

---

"I met my latest girl friend in a department store. She was looking at clothes, and I was putting Slinkys on the escalators." -- Steven Wright

> On Jul 6, 2017, at 9:47 AM, Damian Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Which falls very much into the just because you can does not mean you should
>

>> On 6 Jul 2017, at 16:46, Damian Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Let(
>> $🐝 = “Bee”;
>>
>> $🐝
>>
>> )
>>

>>> On 6 Jul 2017, at 16:11, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Well, this was a good one.  I built a little FMGo app for my iPhone where I keep track of my blood sugar levels and foods that I eat.  The iPhone is very keen to substitute a emoji orange when I type in the word “orange”.  So I let it.
>>> I find that I can copy the orange emoji and Filemaker will search on it and succeed.  (OSX for sure)
>>> I find that the orange emoji will be included in a csv export.
>>>
>>> Eventually this made sense as the emoji is just another unicode character.  Still...
>>>
>>> Which all lead me to this page - http://fullcityconsulting.com/emoji-variables <http://fullcityconsulting.com/emoji-variables> - where Adam Aronson takes it further and uses emoji characters in variable names and gets them to appear in Fileamker dialog boxes.
>>>
>>> Stephen

Re: Hitchhiker's Guide To Filemaker - Page 34,466,129 section 3

Beverly Voth-3
Grab your towel! It may work for the Earthlings, but not the Vogons. In other words, YMMV. And "should we" really? What would Marvin say about it?
:)
Beverly

> On Jul 6, 2017, at 11:47 AM, Damian Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Which falls very much into the just because you can does not mean you should

Re: Hitchhiker's Guide To Filemaker - Page 34,466,129 section 3

LauraZ.
❤️
Laura Zantzinger, Owner/Senior Database Architect
Helping Hand Database Design

[hidden email]
(877) 538-2088

PO Box 276
Barnard, VT 05031

Ongoing Memberships:
FileMaker Business Alliance (FBA) Partner
FileMaker Developer Subscriber (FDS)
FileMaker Technical Network (TechNet)
Better Business Bureau (A+ Rating)

Insured