Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) - Not Capturing in one file in FMP-15

Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) - Not Capturing in one file in FMP-15

Jonn Howell at DataExperience
Why would this happen?

Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) - Not Capturing in one file in FMP-15

Other systems this works fine. But I built a new system from scratch in
FMPA-15, and this function is not capturing field names that indeed have
names on the layout.any names.

Is there some magic file setting I did not notice?

Thanks,

Jonn

Jonn Howell
DataExperience, Inc.
Certified FileMaker Developer
dba Bootcamp for FileMaker
[hidden email]
www.dataexperience.com
www.youtube.com/dataexperience

Re: Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) - Not Capturing in one file in FMP-15

tony_white_L1@twdesigns.com
Hi John.

Are we talking about field names or object names?
Get ( ActiveFieldName ) vs. Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName )

Tony White

On 5/30/17 3:48 AM, "Jonn Howell at DataExperience"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why would this happen?
>
> Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) - Not Capturing in one file in FMP-15
>
> Other systems this works fine. But I built a new system from scratch in
> FMPA-15, and this function is not capturing field names that indeed have
> names on the layout.any names.
>
> Is there some magic file setting I did not notice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonn
>

> Jonn Howell
> DataExperience, Inc.
> Certified FileMaker Developer
> dba Bootcamp for FileMaker
> [hidden email]
> www.dataexperience.com
> www.youtube.com/dataexperience
> 805-368-4748

Re: Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) - Not Capturing in one file in FMP-15

Jonn Howell at DataExperience
Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) - which I have used in the past on fields. Should it matter? If the cursor is in the field it should get the object name, correct?

Thanks.

Jonn

Live life in excellence
- sent from my 1995 Motorola Power PAK bag phone

> On May 30, 2017, at 8:45 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName )

Re: Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) - Not Capturing in one file in FMP-15

Jonathan Fletcher-2
Are you sure the object has a manually entered name, Jonn? Also, check to see where the named object is in any group there might be (i.e., in a button or something).

j.

> On May 30, 2017, at 11:55 AM, Jonn Howell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) - which I have used in the past on fields. Should it matter? If the cursor is in the field it should get the object name, correct?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jonn
>
> Live life in excellence
> - sent from my 1995 Motorola Power PAK bag phone
>
>> On May 30, 2017, at 8:45 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName )

Jonathan Fletcher
[hidden email]

Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
Next Meeting: 6/27/17

Re: Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) - Not Capturing in one file in FMP-15

Jonn Howell at DataExperience
Yes Johnno,

I made sure the field had to manually entered name in the inspector. I opened another system where I had written this and it worked fine. I need the name something simple like: "F-013". I am numbering the fields because it doesn't matter what they're called - this is part of the automated filter update routine using the on object modify script trigger. That's a trick I learned from Todd Geist.

There's 8 different fields with different names and nothing is grouped, nothing is assigned to a button, only one script trigger each, OnObjectModify, which uses as a script parameter the object name.

I have rebooted my computer to see if that makes a difference. This really makes me crazy because it's never not worked before.

Jonn

Live life in excellence
- sent from my 1995 Motorola Power PAK bag phone

> On May 30, 2017, at 9:00 AM, Jonathan Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Are you sure the object has a manually entered name, Jonn? Also, check to see where the named object is in any group there might be (i.e., in a button or something).
>
> j.
>

>> On May 30, 2017, at 11:55 AM, Jonn Howell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) - which I have used in the past on fields. Should it matter? If the cursor is in the field it should get the object name, correct?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jonn
>>
>> Live life in excellence
>> - sent from my 1995 Motorola Power PAK bag phone
>>
>>> On May 30, 2017, at 8:45 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName )

> Jonathan Fletcher
> [hidden email]
>
> Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
> Next Meeting: 6/27/17

Re: Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) - Not Capturing in one file in FMP-15

Jonathan Fletcher-2
Want to share the file to get another pair of eyes on it?

j.

> On May 30, 2017, at 12:24 PM, Jonn Howell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes Johnno,
>
> I made sure the field had to manually entered name in the inspector. I opened another system where I had written this and it worked fine. I need the name something simple like: "F-013". I am numbering the fields because it doesn't matter what they're called - this is part of the automated filter update routine using the on object modify script trigger. That's a trick I learned from Todd Geist.
>
> There's 8 different fields with different names and nothing is grouped, nothing is assigned to a button, only one script trigger each, OnObjectModify, which uses as a script parameter the object name.
>
> I have rebooted my computer to see if that makes a difference. This really makes me crazy because it's never not worked before.
>
> Jonn
>
> Live life in excellence
> - sent from my 1995 Motorola Power PAK bag phone
>
>> On May 30, 2017, at 9:00 AM, Jonathan Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Are you sure the object has a manually entered name, Jonn? Also, check to see where the named object is in any group there might be (i.e., in a button or something).
>>
>> j.
>>

>>> On May 30, 2017, at 11:55 AM, Jonn Howell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) - which I have used in the past on fields. Should it matter? If the cursor is in the field it should get the object name, correct?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Jonn
>>>
>>> Live life in excellence
>>> - sent from my 1995 Motorola Power PAK bag phone

>> --
>> Jonathan Fletcher
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
>> Next Meeting: 6/27/17

Jonathan Fletcher
[hidden email]

Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
Next Meeting: 6/27/17

RE: Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) - Not Capturing in one file in FMP-15

Jonn Howell at DataExperience
Johnno,

I am sending a stripped edition to you now, with images....8 MB.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> --
>> Jonathan Fletcher
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group Next Meeting: 6/27/17

Jonathan Fletcher
[hidden email]

Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
Next Meeting: 6/27/17

Re: Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName ) - Not Capturing in one file in FMP-15

Jonathan Fletcher-2
Regular email or a dropbox link?

> On May 30, 2017, at 3:23 PM, Jonn Howell at DataExperience <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Johnno,
>
> I am sending a stripped edition to you now, with images....8 MB.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonn
>

> Jonn Howell
> DataExperience, Inc.
> Certified FileMaker Developer
> dba Bootcamp for FileMaker
> [hidden email]
> www.dataexperience.com
> www.youtube.com/dataexperience
> 805-368-4748

Tony,

Jonathan Fletcher was kind enough to point out that the fields had been
grouped, individually and to themselves, so it was hard to find, in FM-15.
Once the erroneous grouping was removed and the objects renames, then the
function I was using works perfectly:

Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName )

I had done this before, and really thought I had checked the fields, but
they got by me. Apparently I had erroneously grouped one field by itself
much earlier on, and then extended that error with a lot of copy/paste.