Filemaker Encryption.

Tom Lists
I have a set of files that were encrypted.   When I did the original encryption, for some reason ONE didn’t encrypt, so I had to do that one separately.  I THOUGHT I used the same encryption key.  But apparently I didn’t.

Now all the files are hosted successfully on a FMS 15 server. All open so at one time I MUST have entered the right password.  But when I was doing a “Backup test” I took the backup files and tried to open them. 3 of the 4 opened fine, but that one said I had the wrong encryption password.

SOOO.  Any thoughts on what to do.

- I can’t Save a copy as due to the encryption.
- I CAN export all the data.
- I CAN do a full Database report.

Since it opens on the server, is there anything that I can do to show what the server is using for encryption password?

Thanks

Re: Filemaker Encryption.

Darren Terry-3
Hi Tom: I don’t think there is anything that FMS will do to report the encryption password used. I don’t think FMS saves the encryption password; I think it’s only used in memory for as long as the file is open, and if you were to close the file and re-open it, I suspect you’d be prompted to enter the encryption password again.

I also suspect that your issue is caused by case sensitivity. Can you try the same password with different capitalization and see if you can find the right one?

> On May 30,2017, at 2:26 PM, Tom Myers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a set of files that were encrypted.   When I did the original encryption, for some reason ONE didn’t encrypt, so I had to do that one separately.  I THOUGHT I used the same encryption key.  But apparently I didn’t.
>
> Now all the files are hosted successfully on a FMS 15 server. All open so at one time I MUST have entered the right password.  But when I was doing a “Backup test” I took the backup files and tried to open them. 3 of the 4 opened fine, but that one said I had the wrong encryption password.
>
> SOOO.  Any thoughts on what to do.
>
> - I can’t Save a copy as due to the encryption.
> - I CAN export all the data.
> - I CAN do a full Database report.
>
> Since it opens on the server, is there anything that I can do to show what the server is using for encryption password?

regards,
Darren

******************************
 Darren Terry
 Pacific Data Management, Inc.
 FileMaker Certified Developer
 Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003
 Fax: (408) 283-5903
 [hidden email]
 http://www.pdm-inc.com/

Re: Filemaker Encryption.

Tom Lists
FMS stores it somehow as I have rebooted the server and it still opens.

I have tried variations of caps already, but good thought.

Tom