FMServer 14 scripts running forever - more or less

FMServer 14 scripts running forever - more or less

Stephen Wonfor-3
Hi

Client has FMServer 14 running on Windows 2012R2.  Every now and then one of the scripts will runaway - start running and not stop.  Other scheduled scripts will queue up behind it and indicate that they are running.  No actual proof of their running is observed - new backups etc.  All scripts are set with time limits and aborts enabled.
Anyway I wonder how we could detect that this is going on?
Best idea so far is for an hourly script to write into a log file in a db.  We could then query the table during any navigation routines using a pre-existing utility routine - looking for log most recent creation timestamps more than a couple of hours old (though could get finer).
Another idea was for a serverside eMail on the hour.

Stephen

---

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." --- Winston Churchill

Re: FMServer 14 scripts running forever - more or less

John Weinshel
When you say 'runaway', do you mean a loop that isn't exiting? Or, does
the script appear to be doing its job correctly, but the server won't let
go?

Does the script have an Exit Script[] step at the end? If not, add one.
You might also write a log timestamp upon that exit, along with one at the
top of the script.

On 7/4/17, 1:14 PM, "Stephen Wonfor" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Client has FMServer 14 running on Windows 2012R2.  Every now and then one
>of the scripts will runaway - start running and not stop.  Other
>scheduled scripts will queue up behind it and indicate that they are
>running.  No actual proof of their running is observed - new backups etc.
> All scripts are set with time limits and aborts enabled.
>Anyway I wonder how we could detect that this is going on?
>Best idea so far is for an hourly script to write into a log file in a
>db.  We could then query the table during any navigation routines using a
>pre-existing utility routine - looking for log most recent creation
>timestamps more than a couple of hours old (though could get finer).
>Another idea was for a serverside eMail on the hour.
>
>Stephen
>
>---
>
>"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with
>the average voter." --- Winston Churchill

Re: FMServer 14 scripts running forever - more or less

Stephen Wonfor-3
John

The script in question runs every 15 minutes serverside - has been doing so for 14 months or so.  Has all the usual stop options - exit scripts if, time limits.  And it is only about 12 lines long.
What seems to have happened that it started, exceeded time limits, failed to abort, then all the other scripts - not understanding the Schrödinger state of the first script - started up and thought they were running as well.  So I could see about 20 of 30 scripts in the running state.  The other 10 were not set to run yet.

via "#xkcd IRC channel on irc.foonetic.net" --- Warning: this comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors).  We did not invent the algorithm. The algorithm is banned in China. The algorithm is from Jersey. This is not the algorithm. This is close.