FMS 16.04 questions

12

FMS 16.04 questions

tim ballering-2
To install the 16.04 patch on a Mac server requires updating the machine to OSX 10.12 or better.

I hate (actually more like scared of) updating the OS. ;-)

I do not see any issues in this update that impact anything we are encountering, but often FMI makes undocumented fixes.

What “gotchas” should I expect in moving the Mac Pro server box from 10.11 to 10.12?

Tim Ballering

Re: FMS 16.04 questions

Christian Schmitz-2

> Am 06.02.2018 um 19:34 schrieb Tim Ballering <[hidden email]>:
>
> To install the 16.04 patch on a Mac server requires updating the machine to OSX 10.12 or better.

Does installer verify this before installing?

Sincerely
Christian

--
Read our blog about news on our plugins:

http://www.mbsplugins.de/

Re: FMS 16.04 questions

Jonathan Fletcher-2
What I want to know is why they just obsoleted all my servers in the middle of a release cycle without any warning!

This, um, inhales sharply!

Grrrr.

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 1:34 PM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> To install the 16.04 patch on a Mac server requires updating the machine to OSX 10.12 or better.
>
> I hate (actually more like scared of) updating the OS. ;-)
>
> I do not see any issues in this update that impact anything we are encountering, but often FMI makes undocumented fixes.
>
> What “gotchas” should I expect in moving the Mac Pro server box from 10.11 to 10.12?
>

> Tim Ballering

Jonathan Fletcher
[hidden email]

Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
Next Meeting: 2/27/18

Re: FMS 16.04 questions

Bob Gossom
Jonathan,

You don’t have to upgrade everything immediately. I never jump on Server updates for production files; always wait at least a month or two; often until there is a compelling reason to upgrade. Your current servers aren’t obsolete, they are field tested.

Bob Gossom
Absolute Advantage, Inc.
(818) 718-2027
mobile: (818) 917-3528

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 10:55 AM, Jonathan Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What I want to know is why they just obsoleted all my servers in the middle of a release cycle without any warning!
>
> This, um, inhales sharply!
>
> Grrrr.

>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 1:34 PM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> To install the 16.04 patch on a Mac server requires updating the machine to OSX 10.12 or better.
>>
>> I hate (actually more like scared of) updating the OS. ;-)
>>
>> I do not see any issues in this update that impact anything we are encountering, but often FMI makes undocumented fixes.
>>
>> What “gotchas” should I expect in moving the Mac Pro server box from 10.11 to 10.12?
>>

>> Tim Ballering

> Jonathan Fletcher
> [hidden email]
>
> Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
> Next Meeting: 2/27/18

Re: FMS 16.04 questions

Keith M. Rettig
PCI Compliance requires that you are no more than 30 days out on all updates of all software, OS, and plugins.
It is a brutal pain in the neck to stay on top of it all, but in the big picture it is likely more prudent.
If you aren’t processing credit cards, then Bob’s strategy is indeed a lot more peaceful and less chaotic.

This is me regularly second-guessing taking credit cards… :)
Keith.

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 11:13 AM, Bob Gossom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jonathan,
> You don’t have to upgrade everything immediately. I never jump on Server updates for production files; always wait at least a month or two; often until there is a compelling reason to upgrade. Your current servers aren’t obsolete, they are field tested.
> Bob Gossom
> Absolute Advantage, Inc.
> (818) 718-2027
> mobile: (818) 917-3528
>

>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 10:55 AM, Jonathan Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What I want to know is why they just obsoleted all my servers in the middle of a release cycle without any warning!
>> This, um, inhales sharply!
>> Grrrr.
>>

>>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 1:34 PM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> To install the 16.04 patch on a Mac server requires updating the machine to OSX 10.12 or better.
>>> I hate (actually more like scared of) updating the OS. ;-)
>>> I do not see any issues in this update that impact anything we are encountering, but often FMI makes undocumented fixes.
>>> What “gotchas” should I expect in moving the Mac Pro server box from 10.11 to 10.12?
>>> Tim Ballering

Re: FMS 16.04 questions

Egon
HIPPA has some similar requirement as well.

J. Hall

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 1:55 PM, Keith M. Rettig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> PCI Compliance requires that you are no more than 30 days out on all updates of all software, OS, and plugins.
> It is a brutal pain in the neck to stay on top of it all, but in the big picture it is likely more prudent.
> If you aren’t processing credit cards, then Bob’s strategy is indeed a lot more peaceful and less chaotic.
>
> This is me regularly second-guessing taking credit cards… :)
> Keith.
>
>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 11:13 AM, Bob Gossom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Jonathan,
>> You don’t have to upgrade everything immediately. I never jump on Server updates for production files; always wait at least a month or two; often until there is a compelling reason to upgrade. Your current servers aren’t obsolete, they are field tested.
>> Bob Gossom
>> Absolute Advantage, Inc.
>> (818) 718-2027
>> mobile: (818) 917-3528
>>

>>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 10:55 AM, Jonathan Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> What I want to know is why they just obsoleted all my servers in the middle of a release cycle without any warning!
>>> This, um, inhales sharply!
>>> Grrrr.

Re: FMS 16.04 questions

Jonathan Fletcher-2
OK, I’ve taken a few deep breaths. “All my servers" is a bit overblown.

I have a Win2012 lab server running in VMware on an Xserve which should be okay, but I also have two FMS running on El Cap on other Xserves that will not be able to be upgraded until I spend some time experimenting with a patched version of Sierra. Not something I am real excited about.

Otherwise, I will need to find some newer/alternate hardware, which likely means abandoning Mac OS altogether because of Apple’s criminal negligence with hardware that proponents of its ignored step-child of a subsidiary can use.

I’m not hopeful that their 2018 New Mac Pro plans will address our needs.

Of course I will drag my feet as long as possible on production stuff, but I will have to install this on my own boxes before inflicting it on my clients to make sure there aren’t any gotchas.

I was planning on working on this as May approached, but they sprung this on us in the middle of the cycle without warning!

Jonathan

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 2:13 PM, Bob Gossom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jonathan,
>
> You don’t have to upgrade everything immediately. I never jump on Server updates for production files; always wait at least a month or two; often until there is a compelling reason to upgrade. Your current servers aren’t obsolete, they are field tested.
>
> Bob Gossom
> Absolute Advantage, Inc.
> (818) 718-2027
> mobile: (818) 917-3528
>

>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 10:55 AM, Jonathan Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What I want to know is why they just obsoleted all my servers in the middle of a release cycle without any warning!
>>
>> This, um, inhales sharply!
>>
>> Grrrr.

>>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 1:34 PM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> To install the 16.04 patch on a Mac server requires updating the machine to OSX 10.12 or better.
>>>
>>> I hate (actually more like scared of) updating the OS. ;-)
>>>
>>> I do not see any issues in this update that impact anything we are encountering, but often FMI makes undocumented fixes.
>>>
>>> What “gotchas” should I expect in moving the Mac Pro server box from 10.11 to 10.12?
>>>

>>> Tim Ballering

>> --
>> Jonathan Fletcher
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
>> Next Meeting: 2/27/18

Jonathan Fletcher
[hidden email]

Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
Next Meeting: 2/27/18

Re: FMS 16.04 questions

board5ter

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 3:04 PM, Jonathan Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ...FMS running on El Cap on other Xserves ...likely means abandoning Mac OS altogether because of Apple’s criminal negligence with hardware that proponents of its ignored step-child of a subsidiary can use.

Mac Mini with Pegasus Raid works great.

It's a huge step up from XServe in terms of speed and connectivity, and very good value.

David.

Re: FMS 16.04 questions

Doug Hogg-2
Any particular model of Mac Mini?

:-)

Doug Hogg

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 12:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Mac Mini with Pegasus Raid works great.
>
> It's a huge step up from XServe in terms of speed and connectivity, and very good value.
>
> David.

Re: FMS 16.04 questions

tony_white_L1@twdesigns.com
Make sure that it will run the OS that you are planning.

Some might (or might not) be topped out at 10.11.x
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/xserve/specs/xserve-intel-nehalem-xeon-2.
93-2009-eight-core-specs.html

Tony White

On 2/6/18 1:34 PM, "Tim Ballering" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To install the 16.04 patch on a Mac server requires updating the machine to
> OSX 10.12 or better.
>
> I hate (actually more like scared of) updating the OS. ;-)
>
> I do not see any issues in this update that impact anything we are
> encountering, but often FMI makes undocumented fixes.
>
> What ³gotchas² should I expect in moving the Mac Pro server box from 10.11 to
> 10.12?
>

> Tim Ballering

Re: FMS 16.04 questions

Bob Gossom

Wow! Given the bug history of updates (including introducing security flaws), those are some really stupid compliance standards… It makes sense for security patches, but is way too blanket for OS and software. A number of years ago it would have wiped out FMP 6 clients if they had been forced to update to FMP7 within 30 days. As I recall it wasn’t until something like 8v2 (about a year?) that the software was truly stable. There have been problematic OS upgrades for both Windows and Macs over the years. And then of course the unsolvable dilemma after a major OS update and long delays for software to catch up.

I’ve had clients process CCs in the past, but none currently. Maybe I like it that way...

Bob Gossom
Absolute Advantage, Inc.

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 11:56 AM, J. Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> HIPPA has some similar requirement as well.
>
> J. Hall
> [hidden email]
> 713-409-0554
>
>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 1:55 PM, Keith M. Rettig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> PCI Compliance requires that you are no more than 30 days out on all updates of all software, OS, and plugins.
>> It is a brutal pain in the neck to stay on top of it all, but in the big picture it is likely more prudent.
>> If you aren’t processing credit cards, then Bob’s strategy is indeed a lot more peaceful and less chaotic.
>>
>> This is me regularly second-guessing taking credit cards… :)
>> Keith.
>>
>>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 11:13 AM, Bob Gossom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Jonathan,
>>> You don’t have to upgrade everything immediately. I never jump on Server updates for production files; always wait at least a month or two; often until there is a compelling reason to upgrade. Your current servers aren’t obsolete, they are field tested.
>>> Bob Gossom
>>> Absolute Advantage, Inc.
>>> (818) 718-2027
>>> mobile: (818) 917-3528

Re: FMS 16.04 questions

tim ballering-2
Although we now run a Mac Pro for a server (Yes I know, way too expensive and stuffed with graphics hardware that will never be used, but we only need to know one OS) , I loved the quad core Minis and still have a few in service for non FMS applications.

The Apple Core i7 2.3 GHz Late 2012 server model with SSDs was a gold standard.  I was really disappointed when Apple killed them in late 2014.  You can still find them used at MacSales.com <http://macsales.com/> (part of OWC)

Tim Ballering
[hidden email]

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 3:38 PM, Doug Hogg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Any particular model of Mac Mini?
>
> :-)
>
> Doug Hogg
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 12:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Mac Mini with Pegasus Raid works great.
>>
>> It's a huge step up from XServe in terms of speed and connectivity, and very good value.
>>
>> David.

Re: FMS 16.04 questions

Jonathan Fletcher-2
Let me jump in here. The only version with any horsepower for FMS is one of the quad-core (i7) 2012 models. The 2014 Mini was hobbled with non-upgradable innards and no more than dual-core processors. [Apple hates us.]

Notice how expensive the 2012s are on eBay and see why Apple needs to come up with some kind of solution. There is demand.

I just sold one for more than I paid for it brand new, to a fellow Dev that really needed something less that a rack-mount Windows server. Admittedly, I added an SSD and some RAM, but that’s it and it was still cheaper than he could have gotten it for on eBay.

j.

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 3:38 PM, Doug Hogg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Any particular model of Mac Mini?
>
> :-)
>
> Doug Hogg
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 12:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Mac Mini with Pegasus Raid works great.
>>
>> It's a huge step up from XServe in terms of speed and connectivity, and very good value.
>>
>> David.

Jonathan Fletcher
[hidden email]

Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
Next Meeting: 2/27/18

Re: FMS 16.04 questions

Jonathan Fletcher-2
Wise man.

On Feb 6, 2018, at 3:59 PM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Apple Core i7 2.3 GHz Late 2012 server model with SSDs was a gold standard.

They even had a couple 2.6 GHz configs, server and non (that are REALLY expensive now).

All configs allowed up to 2 full speed SATA 3 drives (SSD and/or HDD), Firewire 800, Thunderbolt, HDMI, and up to 16GB of RAM.

It was also the first Mini with USB 3. With that you can add adapters for a variety of display technologies and/or Gigabit ethernet. That means you could turn that into a decent development machine with up to 4 decent-sized displays, or a router with up to 5 gigabit ethernet ports. Using OS X’s link aggregation ability you could even LAG a couple of the ethernets for a faster trip to a smart switch, perhaps not a bad feature for a FM server.

It was a pretty decent cheap little box. Too bad Apple didn’t believe in it.

It still has only one processor and power supply, but other than that it’s not a bad little machine.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Fletcher
[hidden email]

Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
Next Meeting: 2/27/18

Re: FMS 16.04 questions

Keith M. Rettig
My interpretation of PCI Compliance is that you don’t have to immediately upgrade from 6.x to 7.x.  You just have to have 6.x always up-to-date.
And if 6.x requires you still run OS 10.11.x, well then you better have the most recent 10.11.x.
And of course, if 16.0.x ruins capabilities that are pertinent to the business, you are allowed to not upgrade to 16.0.x until it supports the required features or you can make them happen on 16.0.x.

For instance, I haven’t been able to upgrade to OS 10.13.x yet on two of my filemaker servers, because updating the third machine broke a bunch of functionalities with 360Works’ plugins.  So I have suffered until recently and now it works.  So now I have to upgrade the other two servers.  My weekend is not likely to be much fun…

So yes it is a pain, but not as stupid as it first seems.

Doing your own credit card processing saves your customers quite a bit of money; suffering for them I am. :)

Keith.

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 12:58 PM, Bob Gossom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Wow! Given the bug history of updates (including introducing security flaws), those are some really stupid compliance standards… It makes sense for security patches, but is way too blanket for OS and software. A number of years ago it would have wiped out FMP 6 clients if they had been forced to update to FMP7 within 30 days. As I recall it wasn’t until something like 8v2 (about a year?) that the software was truly stable. There have been problematic OS upgrades for both Windows and Macs over the years. And then of course the unsolvable dilemma after a major OS update and long delays for software to catch up.
>
> I’ve had clients process CCs in the past, but none currently. Maybe I like it that way...
>
> Bob Gossom
> Absolute Advantage, Inc.
>

>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 11:56 AM, J. Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> HIPPA has some similar requirement as well.
>>
>> J. Hall
>> [hidden email]
>> 713-409-0554
>>
>>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 1:55 PM, Keith M. Rettig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> PCI Compliance requires that you are no more than 30 days out on all updates of all software, OS, and plugins.
>>> It is a brutal pain in the neck to stay on top of it all, but in the big picture it is likely more prudent.
>>> If you aren’t processing credit cards, then Bob’s strategy is indeed a lot more peaceful and less chaotic.
>>>
>>> This is me regularly second-guessing taking credit cards… :)
>>> Keith.

Re: FMS 16.04 questions - The reason for OS requirement change

tim ballering-2
One thing that got me wondering if there might be more important under the hood of FMS 16.04 more than the WebDirect fixes is the requirement to update the OS for a v. rev.  I was thinking perhaps the whole Meltdown/Spectre thing.

Now I see a kb article that OS 10.11.6 may interrupt  web publishing even on FMS 15.
https://support.filemaker.com/s/answerview?anum=000026021&language=en_US

Tim Ballering
[hidden email]

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 2:13 PM, Bob Gossom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jonathan,
>
> You don’t have to upgrade everything immediately. I never jump on Server updates for production files; always wait at least a month or two; often until there is a compelling reason to upgrade. Your current servers aren’t obsolete, they are field tested.
>
> Bob Gossom
> Absolute Advantage, Inc.
> (818) 718-2027
> mobile: (818) 917-3528
>

>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 10:55 AM, Jonathan Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What I want to know is why they just obsoleted all my servers in the middle of a release cycle without any warning!
>>
>> This, um, inhales sharply!
>>
>> Grrrr.

>>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 1:34 PM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> To install the 16.04 patch on a Mac server requires updating the machine to OSX 10.12 or better.
>>>
>>> I hate (actually more like scared of) updating the OS. ;-)
>>>
>>> I do not see any issues in this update that impact anything we are encountering, but often FMI makes undocumented fixes.
>>>
>>> What “gotchas” should I expect in moving the Mac Pro server box from 10.11 to 10.12?
>>>

>>> Tim Ballering

>> --
>> Jonathan Fletcher
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
>> Next Meeting: 2/27/18

Random Spaces in Emails, CSS and BaseElements Plug-in

Matt Sawyer
Hi

I am using a combination of FileMaker formatted text, getascss and the Base Elements plug-in to send emails.

Format data in a text field font, colour, etc. I use getascss then drop it into html. The I use the Base Element plug-in to send.

Works really well except for an occasional space appearing in the middle of a word.

Note usually only one per email, and not always in the same place. Though if you send exactly the same email it will be in the same place.

Note I have tried trim and trimall (in all combinations).

Any thoughts would be appreciated, is it FM getascss or perhaps the plugin.

Note I have tried various fonts, arial, helvetica, calibri.

Thanks

Matt

Re: Random Spaces in Emails, CSS and BaseElements Plug-in

Mike Duncan
Have you looked at the html source of the email? It depends on the email
client you use, but most desktop email clients have a way to look at the
source code of the email. That should show what is causing the issue.

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 12:24 AM, Matt Sawyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am using a combination of FileMaker formatted text, getascss and the
> Base Elements plug-in to send emails.
>
> Format data in a text field font, colour, etc. I use getascss then drop it
> into html. The I use the Base Element plug-in to send.
>
> Works really well except for an occasional space appearing in the middle
> of a word.
>
> Note usually only one per email, and not always in the same place. Though
> if you send exactly the same email it will be in the same place.
>
> Note I have tried trim and trimall (in all combinations).
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated, is it FM getascss or perhaps the plugin.
>
> Note I have tried various fonts, arial, helvetica, calibri.
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt

Re: FMS 16.04 questions

Mike Duncan
It is possible to run virtual machines on OS X and be in compliance with
Apple's licensing stipulation of OS X only running on Apple branded
hardware. If that is the case, then the guest OS can happily run OS X 10.12
while the host (running the virtualization software) runs on another
version. VMs also make testing versions before deploying much simpler.

12