FMS 11 admin misbehaviour

eric scheid-5
Well, this is odd.

I have FMS 11.0.5.510 running on Mac OS 10.6.8. It is hosting 1 file. Clients are able to connect etc. There are 3 schedules set up: backup hourly, backup daily, backup weekly.

Firstly, the schedules say “last run” of a few days ago. Which is odd because two of them should be running each day, but even odder is that the backup folder has backups from today, as there should be. There are also appropriate events visible in the Log Viewer.

The real problem however is that when I go to edit any of those backup schedules I get stuck on Step 4 “Select the backup folder and options”. It is here that the backup folder is meant to be specified. Again, for the existing schedules the current value for backup folder appears correct (and further evidenced by the fact that backups are landing in the right place) … but the Schedule Assistant is saying the path is “Not a valid path”.

The path looks like “filemac:/JA7 HD/Library/Filemaker Server/Data/Backups/“, which also matches the actual intended (and apparently working) backup folder.

And yet .. “Not a valid path”.

Anyone seen any of this behaviour before?

I’ll try a restart soonish, but I don’t know if this issue will re-occur.

e.

Re: FMS 11 admin misbehaviour

Mark Rubenstein
Eric,

I have seen the issue of FMS showing that the schedule was last run days ago (or saying that it is still running!) many times.
I haven’t had the need to edit the schedule, so I can’t comment on the path issue.

Using the command line to do: fmsadmin restart adminserver has usually (maybe always, can’t recall) solved it.

Mark

Re: FMS 11 admin misbehaviour

Jimmy D. Jones
The backup processing has gotten out of sync with the Admin console.

1. Try restarting the admin console, follow Mark's instructions.
2. If that doesn't work use the Activity Monitor to stop the FMS Backup processing. Tell any script to "run now" to make sure it restarts.
3. If you can't find the Backup process then gracefully close the database(s) and restart the computer.

Since even one thing out of sync is a red flag then to make sure everything is running correctly I'd play it safe and do the restart anyway.

___________
The opinions expressed in this email are my own and do not reflect those of my employer or anyone else.
Regards,
Ch0c0halic, FileMaker 14 Certified Developer
FileMaker Developer Conference 2017
July 24-26, 2017 • JW Marriott Desert Ridge, Phoenix, AZ
http://www.filemaker.com/learning/devcon/index.html

> On Jul 24, 2017, at 1:04 AM, Eric Scheid <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well, this is odd.
>
> I have FMS 11.0.5.510 running on Mac OS 10.6.8. It is hosting 1 file. Clients are able to connect etc. There are 3 schedules set up: backup hourly, backup daily, backup weekly.
>
> Firstly, the schedules say “last run” of a few days ago. Which is odd because two of them should be running each day, but even odder is that the backup folder has backups from today, as there should be. There are also appropriate events visible in the Log Viewer.
>
> The real problem however is that when I go to edit any of those backup schedules I get stuck on Step 4 “Select the backup folder and options”. It is here that the backup folder is meant to be specified. Again, for the existing schedules the current value for backup folder appears correct (and further evidenced by the fact that backups are landing in the right place) … but the Schedule Assistant is saying the path is “Not a valid path”.
>
> The path looks like “filemac:/JA7 HD/Library/Filemaker Server/Data/Backups/“, which also matches the actual intended (and apparently working) backup folder.
>
> And yet .. “Not a valid path”.
>
> Anyone seen any of this behaviour before?
>
> I’ll try a restart soonish, but I don’t know if this issue will re-occur.
>
> e.

Re: FMS 11 admin misbehaviour

gpupita
  I've seen the very same symptoms with a FMS on a virtual macchine
with Windows server 2008 Restarting fixed the issue Ciao G. Pupita I
[...]

Links:
------
[1] mailto:[hidden email]
[2]