FMP16 - change in "Specify field" where field has a button attached to it.

FMP16 - change in "Specify field" where field has a button attached to it.

Stephen Wonfor-3
Hi

FMPA16 El Cap.  In layout mode a field that has a button on it no longer has “Specify Field” available in contextual menus.
Exact same db via FMPA15 Sierra, on the same field, has the “Specify…” available.

Re: FMP16 - change in "Specify field" where field has a button attached to it.

Darren Terry-3
Hi Stephen: With the field/button object selected in layout mode, hit the Tab key.
;-)

> On May 18,2017, at 1:35 PM, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> FMPA16 El Cap.  In layout mode a field that has a button on it no longer has “Specify Field” available in contextual menus.
> Exact same db via FMPA15 Sierra, on the same field, has the “Specify…” available.

regards,
Darren

******************************
 Darren Terry
 Pacific Data Management, Inc.
 FileMaker Certified Developer
 Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003
 Fax: (408) 283-5903
 [hidden email]
 http://www.pdm-inc.com/

Re: FMP16 - change in "Specify field" where field has a button attached to it.

Darren Terry-3
Well, while tabbing on the object does indeed let you select the field object (as opposed to the button object), it doesn’t let you then right-click on the grouped field/button to set field-level attributes. Right clicking on the grouped object seems to always grab the button.

You can, however use the Layout Objects palette (the new thing that shows you all the objects on the layout in their stacking order) to select the field part of the grouped object. Then, the Inspector palette lets you specify which field you want.

> On May 18,2017, at 1:35 PM, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> FMPA16 El Cap.  In layout mode a field that has a button on it no longer has “Specify Field” available in contextual menus.
> Exact same db via FMPA15 Sierra, on the same field, has the “Specify…” available.

regards,
Darren

******************************
 Darren Terry
 Pacific Data Management, Inc.
 FileMaker Certified Developer
 Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003
 Fax: (408) 283-5903
 [hidden email]
 http://www.pdm-inc.com/

Re: FMP16 - change in "Specify field" where field has a button attached to it.

JClose
I just ran into this and was rather annoyed by the functionality.  It is being caused by the new Layout Objects inspector.

If I click on a layout object that is a Field with a button action assigned to it, there doesn't appear to be any way to immediately see what field it is, nor to access the field picker:  Double clicking it brings up the button definition (used to bring up the field picker); if you have the Inspector open, the field name does NOT show up in the 'Display Data from...' area of the 'Data' tab; right clicking the field (as noted earlier) does not show you an option to define the field.

If you left click it once and then hit Tab, then the field data will show up in the Inspector.  If you have the Layout Object inspector open, then you can get a glimpse of what it is doing - when you click the first time, it is selecting the ‘button object’ that wraps the field, and then hitting tab causes it to drill down into the next layer.

This is also a problem when trying to access conditional formatting - there doesn’t appear to be any way to access it from the object itself anymore, you have to use the menus, or go over to the Layout Object inspector and right click on the entry there.
I suppose they had to pick one as the default object to be showing about what you clicked on - but I'm not sure why they didn't continue to show a hybrid of 'button' and 'field' data in the Inspector and the context menu or in the Inspector.

Thanks,

— Justin

> On May 18, 2017, at 15:03 , Darren Terry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well, while tabbing on the object does indeed let you select the field object (as opposed to the button object), it doesn’t let you then right-click on the grouped field/button to set field-level attributes. Right clicking on the grouped object seems to always grab the button.
>
> You can, however use the Layout Objects palette (the new thing that shows you all the objects on the layout in their stacking order) to select the field part of the grouped object. Then, the Inspector palette lets you specify which field you want.
>
>> On May 18,2017, at 1:35 PM, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> FMPA16 El Cap.  In layout mode a field that has a button on it no longer has “Specify Field” available in contextual menus.
>> Exact same db via FMPA15 Sierra, on the same field, has the “Specify…” available.
>

> regards,
> Darren
>
> ******************************
> Darren Terry
> Pacific Data Management, Inc.
> FileMaker Certified Developer
> Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003
> Fax: (408) 283-5903
> [hidden email]
> http://www.pdm-inc.com/

Re: FMP16 - change in "Specify field" where field has a button attached to it.

Beverly Voth-3
NOT "caused" by the Layout Objects window... :)
The grouping and 'two objects' behavior has been around a while for objects made into buttons. The new window just makes it easier to select the separate parts of the group.
Beverly

> On May 21, 2017, at 11:32 AM, Justin Close <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It is being caused by the new Layout Objects inspector.

Re: FMP16 - change in "Specify field" where field has a button attached to it.

JClose
I guess I would disagree as my point wasn’t really about the presence of two objects.  Yes, the fact that they are two objects isn’t caused by the new Layout Objects inspector, but the behavior and lack of access to certain types of information about an object IS new behavior that has arisen with the advent of the layout inspector.  It’s the behavior - the lack of ability to quickly and easily see what field it is, to see other Inspector information, to access conditional formatting...that’s annoying.

—  Justin