FM Server 14's server won't start

Bob Patin
I’ve had this issue with FM Server many times, and am hoping someone knows how to solve it.

When I restart the machine, the web server doesn’t start up; FileMaker Server serves databases, the WPE will run, but without the web server, the WPE is dead in the water.

Does anyone know a way to force it to start—in Terminal perhaps? Nothing that I’ve tried has worked.

Thanks,

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

Re: FM Server 14's server won't start

Bob Patin
Actually, this is a FM 15 Server, not 14, but I’ve had the same issue with FMS 14 (Macs).

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

> On May 15, 2017, at 11:11 AM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ve had this issue with FM Server many times, and am hoping someone knows how to solve it.
>
> When I restart the machine, the web server doesn’t start up; FileMaker Server serves databases, the WPE will run, but without the web server, the WPE is dead in the water.
>
> Does anyone know a way to force it to start—in Terminal perhaps? Nothing that I’ve tried has worked.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Patin
> Longterm Solutions
> [hidden email]
> 615-333-6858
> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
> -
> iChat: [hidden email]
> Twitter: bobpatin
> —
> FileMaker Consulting
> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

Re: FM Server 14's server won't start

Mike Duncan
Do you have the OS X Server.app installed as well? That can conflict with
the built in HTTP server that comes with FMS. When I ran into this, I had
to do a "clean" reinstall of FMS. That means, back up all your stuff,
completely delete the FM Server folder and reinstall from scratch. But only
do that after turning off all other httpd services that might be on.
Hope this helps.
Mike

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, this is a FM 15 Server, not 14, but I’ve had the same issue with
> FMS 14 (Macs).
>
> Bob Patin
> Longterm Solutions
> [hidden email]
> 615-333-6858
> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
> -
> iChat: [hidden email]
> Twitter: bobpatin
> —
> FileMaker Consulting
> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting
>
> > On May 15, 2017, at 11:11 AM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I’ve had this issue with FM Server many times, and am hoping someone
> knows how to solve it.
> >
> > When I restart the machine, the web server doesn’t start up; FileMaker
> Server serves databases, the WPE will run, but without the web server, the
> WPE is dead in the water.
> >
> > Does anyone know a way to force it to start—in Terminal perhaps? Nothing
> that I’ve tried has worked.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bob Patin
> > Longterm Solutions
> > [hidden email]
> > 615-333-6858
> > FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
> > http://www.longtermsolutions.com
> > -
> > iChat: [hidden email]
> > Twitter: bobpatin
> > —
> > FileMaker Consulting
> > FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
> > PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

Re: FM Server 14's server won't start

Bob Patin
Hey Mike,

> Do you have the OS X Server.app installed as well? That can conflict with
> the built in HTTP server that comes with FMS.

I did, and it all installed okay, except that the SSL certificates weren’t working properly. WPE worked though…

> When I ran into this, I had
> to do a "clean" reinstall of FMS. That means, back up all your stuff,
> completely delete the FM Server folder and reinstall from scratch. But only
> do that after turning off all other httpd services that might be on.

That solved it! I turned off web services in OS X Server saved the CStore folder to my desktop, along with some shell scripts, the backups and the databases, uninstalled, threw away the old FM Server folder, emptied trash, and reinstalled and then installed the updater.

Works perfectly; I hadn’t thought to do another install with OS X Server’s web services turned off, but that was the key.

Thanks Mike, this has been a nightmare!

Best,