External Containers and Windows=

Egon
Does anyone know if FileMaker will follow “Aliases” or “ShortCuts” in windows?

I’m asking because I’ve moved some stuff around and I’m wondering if I need to move the pictures or if you can create a “link” to where the files are and it will find them?

Has anyone tried?

J. Hall
Cell/Text/iMessage: 713-409-0554
Twitter: Egonj

Re: External Containers and Windows=

Richard DeShong
If you have files stored in a container using "store only a reference",
and then you move the folder which holds the file, then FM will not be
able to following a "shortcut" to the folder.

The reason for this is that a shortcut is not actually part of the
directory structure.  You can see this by using the File Manager.  Look
at a folder in list view, sorted by name, and you will see the folders
listed first, followed by the files. Shortcuts will be listed with the
files.

What you need is a special link called a "directory junction". Create it
using mklink:

Move your folder to it's new location.

Open a cmd window in admin mode.

mklink /J <link> <target>

Example:  mklink /J "C:\Old Dir\Pic Folder" "C:\New Dir\Pic Folder"

This will create a folder in "Old Dir" that makes it look like "Pic
Folder" is still there (an FM will see it too).

On 2/12/2018 10:21 AM, J Hall wrote:

> Does anyone know if FileMaker will follow “Aliases” or “ShortCuts” in windows?
>
> I’m asking because I’ve moved some stuff around and I’m wondering if I need to move the pictures or if you can create a “link” to where the files are and it will find them?
>
> Has anyone tried?
>
> J. Hall
> Cell/Text/iMessage: 713-409-0554
> Twitter: Egonj