Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

dealtek@gmail.com
Hi all,

I'm using fmpv16 on mac.

In file1.fmp12 I am exporting Records as a merge file and saved with the .csv suffix using Macintosh encoding format. I know this is a bit odd but it will give me all the field names of the first row... For now I prefer keeping this in.CSV format for other reasons.

Then I am importing this file into file2.fmp12

I believe this scripting has worked well in previous FileMaker versions (.fp7), but maybe not.

Recently, when importing it seems that text records that use quotes are getting cut off after the first quote - this could be with double quotes or maybe even single quotes, hard to tell.

If I open the .csv file in excel - it shows what looks to be double double quotes where there was previously a single double quote in the FileMaker Field.

Also there seems to be extra unknown characters that appear if I copy and paste the excel cell data in a Word processor.

I know that FileMaker uses special characters when exporting "Merge" files.

For various reasons, I would rather keep my previous code and just fix this QUOTE oddity.

Any ideas how to fix this behavior?

Dave - DealTek
[hidden email]
[db-18]

Re: Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

Beverly Voth-3
Dave, the .mer (merge) Export Records file type is the same as .csv (comma separated values) with the addition of the field names in the first row. The standard separator is comma and all fields except number should be quoted (double quote). See the help topic to verify all notes.
* https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/16/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Fmerge-format.html

Is there something else going on? Can you export a small set of records and open with any text editor to verify the file is being correctly created?
Beverly

> On Feb 25, 2018, at 11:34 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using fmpv16 on mac.
>
> In file1.fmp12 I am exporting Records as a merge file and saved with the .csv suffix using Macintosh encoding format. I know this is a bit odd but it will give me all the field names of the first row... For now I prefer keeping this in.CSV format for other reasons.
>
> Then I am importing this file into file2.fmp12
>
> I believe this scripting has worked well in previous FileMaker versions (.fp7), but maybe not.
>
> Recently, when importing it seems that text records that use quotes are getting cut off after the first quote - this could be with double quotes or maybe even single quotes, hard to tell.
>
> If I open the .csv file in excel - it shows what looks to be double double quotes where there was previously a single double quote in the FileMaker Field.
>
> Also there seems to be extra unknown characters that appear if I copy and paste the excel cell data in a Word processor.
>
> I know that FileMaker uses special characters when exporting "Merge" files.
>
> For various reasons, I would rather keep my previous code and just fix this QUOTE oddity.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this behavior?

> Dave - DealTek
> [hidden email]
> [db-18]

Re: Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

dealtek@gmail.com
Hi Beverly,

Thanks for the help.

BTW: I created a new test file - it seems to have no problems...

I guess it have it boiled down to a "bad character"...

If I copy the text into text editor - it looks like this:

http://hostalive.com/fmp/show2.png <http://hostalive.com/fmp/show2.png>

- You can see in the 1st row - the 1st " has no special character and the next one does

- 2nd row then the following row has them on both

- 3rd row as you see when i hand typed the same thing again today in the same field - it had no "special characters"

Q: Is there some way - on a mac to show what ascii code these "special characters" are?

Q: Is there a custom function to find these and remove them in the future?

> On Feb 25, 2018, at 8:48 AM, beverlyvoth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dave, the .mer (merge) Export Records file type is the same as .csv (comma separated values) with the addition of the field names in the first row. The standard separator is comma and all fields except number should be quoted (double quote). See the help topic to verify all notes.
> * https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/16/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Fmerge-format.html
>
> Is there something else going on? Can you export a small set of records and open with any text editor to verify the file is being correctly created?
> Beverly
>
>> On Feb 25, 2018, at 11:34 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm using fmpv16 on mac.
>>
>> In file1.fmp12 I am exporting Records as a merge file and saved with the .csv suffix using Macintosh encoding format. I know this is a bit odd but it will give me all the field names of the first row... For now I prefer keeping this in.CSV format for other reasons.
>>
>> Then I am importing this file into file2.fmp12
>>
>> I believe this scripting has worked well in previous FileMaker versions (.fp7), but maybe not.
>>
>> Recently, when importing it seems that text records that use quotes are getting cut off after the first quote - this could be with double quotes or maybe even single quotes, hard to tell.
>>
>> If I open the .csv file in excel - it shows what looks to be double double quotes where there was previously a single double quote in the FileMaker Field.
>>
>> Also there seems to be extra unknown characters that appear if I copy and paste the excel cell data in a Word processor.
>>
>> I know that FileMaker uses special characters when exporting "Merge" files.
>>
>> For various reasons, I would rather keep my previous code and just fix this QUOTE oddity.
>>
>> Any ideas how to fix this behavior?
>>

>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Dave - DealTek
>> [hidden email]
>> [db-18]

Dave - DealTek
[hidden email]
[db-18]

Re: Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

Beverly Voth-3
In FileMaker, you can copy one character and then
> Code("__pasteHere__")
in a calculation (or DataViewer if you have FMPro Advanced.

Are you exporting repeating or related fields at all?
Beverly

> [...]
>>>
>>> If I open the .csv file in excel - it shows what looks to be double double quotes where there was previously a single double quote in the FileMaker Field.
>>>
>>> Also there seems to be extra unknown characters that appear if I copy and paste the excel cell data in a Word processor.
>>>
>>> I know that FileMaker uses special characters when exporting "Merge" files.
>>>
>>> For various reasons, I would rather keep my previous code and just fix this QUOTE oddity.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how to fix this behavior?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave - DealTek
>>> [hidden email]
>>> [db-18]

> Dave - DealTek
> [hidden email]
> [db-18]

Re: Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

James McAlister-4
Dave,

Though there are surely many others, I have used this CF with success
before: https://goo.gl/Vvzn62

Then to this I have added the following to the Substitute options to take
care of my own special cases:

[Char( 160 ) ; " " ] ; // non-breaking space
[ Char ( 8216 ) ; "'" ] ; // left smart quote
[ Char ( 8217 ) ; "'" ] ;  // right smart quote
[ Char ( 8220) ; "\"" ] ; // left double smart quote
[ Char ( 8221) ; "\"" ]   // right double smart quote

James

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 1:44 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Q: Is there a custom function to find these and remove them in the future?

Re: Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

dealtek@gmail.com
Thanks again Beverly,

the code("---") worked well and showed these 2 special characters after the quotes

28 1C U+001C FS File Separator
29 1D U+001D GS Group Separator

any idea what put them in the text (I think this record was manually typed in FMP)

Q: Is there a custom function to find these and remove them in the future?

> On Feb 25, 2018, at 12:16 PM, beverlyvoth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In FileMaker, you can copy one character and then
>> Code("__pasteHere__")
> in a calculation (or DataViewer if you have FMPro Advanced.
>
> Are you exporting repeating or related fields at all?
> Beverly
>> On Feb 25, 2018, at 2:44 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Hi Beverly,
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> BTW: I created a new test file - it seems to have no problems...
>>
>> I guess it have it boiled down to a "bad character"...
>>
>> If I copy the text into text editor - it looks like this:
>>

>> http://hostalive.com/fmp/show2.png <http://hostalive.com/fmp/show2.png>
>>
>> - You can see in the 1st row - the 1st " has no special character and the next one does
>>
>> - 2nd row then the following row has them on both
>>
>> - 3rd row as you see when i hand typed the same thing again today in the same field - it had no "special characters"
>>
>> Q: Is there some way - on a mac to show what ascii code these "special characters" are?
>>
>> Q: Is there a custom function to find these and remove them in the future?
>>

>>> On Feb 25, 2018, at 8:48 AM, beverlyvoth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dave, the .mer (merge) Export Records file type is the same as .csv (comma separated values) with the addition of the field names in the first row. The standard separator is comma and all fields except number should be quoted (double quote). See the help topic to verify all notes.
>>> * https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/16/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Fmerge-format.html
>>>
>>> Is there something else going on? Can you export a small set of records and open with any text editor to verify the file is being correctly created?
>>> Beverly

>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Dave - DealTek
>> [hidden email]
>> [db-18]

Dave - DealTek
[hidden email]
[db-18]

Re: Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

dealtek@gmail.com
Thanks much James I will check this out!

> On Feb 25, 2018, at 12:27 PM, James McAlister <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dave,
>
> Though there are surely many others, I have used this CF with success
> before: https://goo.gl/Vvzn62
>
> Then to this I have added the following to the Substitute options to take
> care of my own special cases:
>
> [Char( 160 ) ; " " ] ; // non-breaking space
> [ Char ( 8216 ) ; "'" ] ; // left smart quote
> [ Char ( 8217 ) ; "'" ] ;  // right smart quote
> [ Char ( 8220) ; "\"" ] ; // left double smart quote
> [ Char ( 8221) ; "\"" ]   // right double smart quote
>
> James
>
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 1:44 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Q: Is there a custom function to find these and remove them in the future?

Dave - DealTek
[hidden email]
[db-18]

Re: Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

Jonathan Fletcher-2
Dave, often times weird characters come in when people copy and paste stuff from other programs.

I would put an auto-enter calc on the field with James’ substitute custom function, his additions and your codes (if they aren’t already in there). You many never have to think about it again.

Jonathan

> On Feb 25, 2018, at 3:28 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Thanks again Beverly,
>
> the code("---") worked well and showed these 2 special characters after the quotes
>
> 28 1C U+001C FS File Separator
> 29 1D U+001D GS Group Separator
>
> any idea what put them in the text (I think this record was manually typed in FMP)
>
> Q: Is there a custom function to find these and remove them in the future?
>

>> On Feb 25, 2018, at 12:16 PM, beverlyvoth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> In FileMaker, you can copy one character and then
>>> Code("__pasteHere__")
>> in a calculation (or DataViewer if you have FMPro Advanced.
>>
>> Are you exporting repeating or related fields at all?
>> Beverly
>>> On Feb 25, 2018, at 2:44 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Beverly,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help.
>>>
>>> BTW: I created a new test file - it seems to have no problems...
>>>
>>> I guess it have it boiled down to a "bad character"...
>>>
>>> If I copy the text into text editor - it looks like this:
>>>

>>> http://hostalive.com/fmp/show2.png <http://hostalive.com/fmp/show2.png>
>>>
>>> - You can see in the 1st row - the 1st " has no special character and the next one does
>>>
>>> - 2nd row then the following row has them on both
>>>
>>> - 3rd row as you see when i hand typed the same thing again today in the same field - it had no "special characters"
>>>
>>> Q: Is there some way - on a mac to show what ascii code these "special characters" are?
>>>
>>> Q: Is there a custom function to find these and remove them in the future?

>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave - DealTek
>>> [hidden email]
>>> [db-18]

> Dave - DealTek
> [hidden email]
> [db-18]

Jonathan Fletcher
[hidden email]

Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
Next Meeting: 2/27/18

Re: Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

James McAlister-4
As Jonathan points out, this has been especially troublesome to me when
copying and pasting from emails where all sorts of weird characters and
formatting creep in, and the auto-enter calc takes care of them. It looks
like the CF has the Char(29) commented out with an explanatory footnote,
so you will need to put that back in.

James

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 2:32 PM, Jonathan Fletcher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dave, often times weird characters come in when people copy and paste
> stuff from other programs.
>
> I would put an auto-enter calc on the field with James’ substitute custom
> function, his additions and your codes (if they aren’t already in there).
> You many never have to think about it again.
>
> Jonathan
>

> > On Feb 25, 2018, at 3:28 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > Thanks again Beverly,
> >
> > the code("---") worked well and showed these 2 special characters after
> the quotes
> >
> > 28    1C      U+001C  FS      File Separator
> > 29    1D      U+001D  GS      Group Separator
> >
> > any idea what put them in the text (I think this record was manually
> typed in FMP)
> >
> > Q: Is there a custom function to find these and remove them in the
> future?
> >

> >> On Feb 25, 2018, at 12:16 PM, beverlyvoth <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> In FileMaker, you can copy one character and then
> >> in a calculation (or DataViewer if you have FMPro Advanced.
> >>
> >> Are you exporting repeating or related fields at all?
> >> Beverly

> the next one does

> the same field - it had no "special characters"

> characters" are?

> future?

> (comma separated values) with the addition of the field names in the first
> row. The standard separator is comma and all fields except number should be
> quoted (double quote). See the help topic to verify all notes.
> 2Fmerge-format.html

> records and open with any text editor to verify the file is being correctly
> created?

> the .csv suffix using Macintosh encoding format. I know this is a bit odd
> but it will give me all the field names of the first row... For now I
> prefer keeping this in.CSV format for other reasons.

> versions (.fp7), but maybe not.

> are getting cut off after the first quote - this could be with double
> quotes or maybe even single quotes, hard to tell.

> double quotes where there was previously a single double quote in the
> FileMaker Field.

> copy and paste the excel cell data in a Word processor.

> files.

> fix this QUOTE oddity.

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Dave - DealTek
> > [hidden email]
> > [db-18]

> Jonathan Fletcher
> [hidden email]
>
> Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
> Next Meeting: 2/27/18

Re: Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

dealtek@gmail.com
HI,

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP - look like this is now sorted out!

> On Feb 25, 2018, at 12:16 PM, beverlyvoth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Are you exporting repeating or related fields at all?
> Beverly

Hi Beverly - not in this case - nothing related or repeating.

> On Feb 25, 2018, at 12:32 PM, Jonathan Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dave, often times weird characters come in when people copy and paste stuff from other programs.
>
> I would put an auto-enter calc on the field with James’ substitute custom function, his additions and your codes (if they aren’t already in there). You many never have to think about it again.
>
> Jonathan

yes - I guess I must have copied and pasted this text (I thought I hand typed it in FMP)

> On Feb 25, 2018, at 12:36 PM, James McAlister <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As Jonathan points out, this has been especially troublesome to me when
> copying and pasting from emails where all sorts of weird characters and
> formatting creep in, and the auto-enter calc takes care of them. It looks
> like the CF has the Char(29) commented out with an explanatory footnote,
> so you will need to put that back in.
>
> James

Sounds good - I'll add  the Char(29) back in...

Dave - DealTek
[hidden email]
[db-18]

Re: Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

dealtek@gmail.com
Hi,

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Now that I have this all working. I would like to write a script to search for these hidden characters - even one at a time like

28 1C U+001C FS File Separator
or
29 1D U+001D GS Group Separator

- I pasted in a few hidden characters into a test field

- I tried a scripted search like :

Enter Find Mode [ ]

// I pasted the char 28 in from text editor

Set Field [ TrackPad::Message; Code ( "" ) ]

// also

Set Field [ TrackPad::Message; ""
Perform Find [ ]

- but it didn't work

Curious how to search for these hidden characters

Dave - DealTek
[hidden email]
[db-18]

Re: Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

Stephen Wonfor-3
Dave

Another option is to create a few CF’s that contain all the letters (upper and lower), all the numbers, all special characters (I usually use the non-letters/numbers on the keyboard).  Then you can Filter(Source; JustNumbers & JustLetters & JustSpecials).  Rather like setting up object hiding rules by defining when you do want to see the thing and then wrapping that calc. in Not().

Stephen

---

"In January 1942 I was escorted to the war by my parents in case I couldn't find it or met with an accident along the way" --- Leo Marks (SOE Codebreaker)

> On Feb 25, 2018, at 2:48 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
>
> Now that I have this all working. I would like to write a script to search for these hidden characters - even one at a time like
>
> 28 1C U+001C FS File Separator
> or
> 29 1D U+001D GS Group Separator
>
> - I pasted in a few hidden characters into a test field
>
> - I tried a scripted search like :
>

> Enter Find Mode [ ]
>
> // I pasted the char 28 in from text editor
>

> Set Field [ TrackPad::Message; Code ( "" ) ]
>
> // also
>
> Set Field [ TrackPad::Message; ""
> Perform Find [ ]
>

> - but it didn't work
>
> Curious how to search for these hidden characters

> Dave - DealTek
> [hidden email]
> [db-18]

Re: Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

Beverly Voth-3
Interesting! The character that FileMaker Exports for repeating fields (separator) is 29 (GS).

In your Set Field, you can use the Char(29) function for your search criteria.

Beverly

> On Feb 25, 2018, at 4:48 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
>
> Now that I have this all working. I would like to write a script to search for these hidden characters - even one at a time like
>
> 28 1C U+001C FS File Separator
> or
> 29 1D U+001D GS Group Separator
>
> - I pasted in a few hidden characters into a test field
>
> - I tried a scripted search like :
>

> Enter Find Mode [ ]
>
> // I pasted the char 28 in from text editor
>

> Set Field [ TrackPad::Message; Code ( "" ) ]
>
> // also
>
> Set Field [ TrackPad::Message; ""
> Perform Find [ ]
>

> - but it didn't work
>
> Curious how to search for these hidden characters

Re: Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

john renfrew-2
That's been logged away, thanks Beverly...

________________________________
Interesting! The character that FileMaker Exports for repeating fields (separator) is 29 (GS).

In your Set Field, you can use the Char(29) function for your search criteria.

Beverly

> On Feb 25, 2018, at 4:48 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
>
> Now that I have this all working. I would like to write a script to search for these hidden characters - even one at a time like
>
> 28    1C      U+001C  FS      File Separator
> or
> 29    1D      U+001D  GS      Group Separator
>
> - I pasted in a few hidden characters into a test field
>
> - I tried a scripted search like :
>

> Enter Find Mode [ ]
>
> // I pasted the char 28 in from text editor
>

> Set Field [ TrackPad::Message; Code ( "" ) ]
>
> // also
>
> Set Field [ TrackPad::Message; ""
> Perform Find [ ]
>

> - but it didn't work
>
> Curious how to search for these hidden characters

Re: Exporting / importing Records with text quotes

Bob Gossom
Dave,

Glad you worked it out. I do like Stephen’s suggestion to filter the field with an auto-enter option to restrict data to just what is acceptable. This would eliminate future odd characters that creep in. Note that you may have to include both upper and lower case characters.

Bob Gossom
Absolute Advantage, Inc.