Error 3 from Save Records as PDF

Gary Reimer-2
Hello from Scotland;

I'm on holidays, but it has come to my attention that a problem exists with a new hire's computer. I have a script that prints a work order. This script generates a pdf on the users desktop. However on the new hire's computer the Save Records as PDF fails with an error 3. The pathname used for the file is correct and is generated by a Get (DesktopPath) function. Is there anything about a computer’s settings that could be the root cause of this? It only fails on her computer.

I need to find a solution as she starts work on Monday.

Her computer is an iMac with El Capitan 10.11.6 and FileMaker Pro 13.0v9.

Thanks for any ideas,
Gary

Re: Error 3 from Save Records as PDF

Joel Stoner
Could it be that she is the only one who has tried to save the particular
work order file, and the file name contains an illegal character, such as :
or /   ?

Another possibility is that she did save the file successfully once, and
the file is open, so she can't save a new one with the same name...

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 1:15 AM, Gary Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello from Scotland;
>
> I'm on holidays, but it has come to my attention that a problem exists
> with a new hire's computer. I have a script that prints a work order. This
> script generates a pdf on the users desktop. However on the new hire's
> computer the Save Records as PDF fails with an error 3. The pathname used
> for the file is correct and is generated by a Get (DesktopPath) function.
> Is there anything about a computer’s settings that could be the root cause
> of this? It only fails on her computer.
>
> I need to find a solution as she starts work on Monday.
>
> Her computer is an iMac with El Capitan 10.11.6 and FileMaker Pro 13.0v9.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
> Gary

*Joel Stoner*

*FounderAlterMedia, Inc. *(Studio Suite)

800.450.5740  ext. 101  (US and Canada)
818.955.9550  ext. 101  (Los Angeles)

[hidden email]://www.studiosuite.net

Think strategically.
Improve your bottom line.
Grow revenue & increase efficiency.

  <http://www.twitter.com/studio_suite>
<http://www.facebook.com/studiosuite>
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/altermedia-inc->
<https://plus.google.com/+AltermediaUS>
<http://www.instagram.com/altermedia>
<http://www.pinterest.com/studiosuite>
<http://www.youtube.com/altermediainc>

Re: Error 3 from Save Records as PDF

Mark Rubenstein
Gary,

Make sure she is permitted to write to the desktop.
Control-click or right-click anywhere on the desktop, and choose Get Info.
Look at the Sharing and Permissions section, and make sure she can read and write.

Mark
Mark Rubenstein
FileMaker Certified Developer  |  Easy As Pi  |  [hidden email]  |  (847) 869-6020  |  www.easyaspi.com

> On Jul 21, 2017, at 3:15 AM, Gary Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello from Scotland;
>
> I'm on holidays, but it has come to my attention that a problem exists with a new hire's computer. I have a script that prints a work order. This script generates a pdf on the users desktop. However on the new hire's computer the Save Records as PDF fails with an error 3. The pathname used for the file is correct and is generated by a Get (DesktopPath) function. Is there anything about a computer’s settings that could be the root cause of this? It only fails on her computer.

Re: Error 3 from Save Records as PDF

Richard DeShong
Is that the FM error code?

3 Command is unavailable (for example, wrong operating system or mode)

That does not sound like a permissions issue.

Maybe something to do with the protocol used in your path variable?

On 7/21/2017 1:15 AM, Gary Reimer wrote:

> Hello from Scotland;
>
> I'm on holidays, but it has come to my attention that a problem exists with a new hire's computer. I have a script that prints a work order. This script generates a pdf on the users desktop. However on the new hire's computer the Save Records as PDF fails with an error 3. The pathname used for the file is correct and is generated by a Get (DesktopPath) function. Is there anything about a computer’s settings that could be the root cause of this? It only fails on her computer.
>
> I need to find a solution as she starts work on Monday.
>
> Her computer is an iMac with El Capitan 10.11.6 and FileMaker Pro 13.0v9.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
> Gary

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell

Re: Error 3 from Save Records as PDF

Gary Reimer-2
Yes it's the FM error code. The path being used is /Macintosh HD/Users/aydra/Desktop/WorkOrderPrint.pdf, where the user's name is aydra and so is her home directory.   This is the form of pathname on every computer where it works, but not on her computer. The path is generated in a script using the function Get(DesktopPath).

Mark suggested checking permissions. I did and she has Read & Write.

Joel suggested that perhaps the pdf file exists and is open—no, not there, creating the file has always failed on this computer. Also, as noted above, every workstation uses the same script for generating the path so it's unlikely on hers there is an illegal character.

Gary

> On Jul 21, 2017, at 6:35 PM, Richard DeShong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is that the FM error code?
>
> 3 Command is unavailable (for example, wrong operating system or mode)
>
> That does not sound like a permissions issue.
>
> Maybe something to do with the protocol used in your path variable?
>

> On 7/21/2017 1:15 AM, Gary Reimer wrote:
>> Hello from Scotland;
>>
>> I'm on holidays, but it has come to my attention that a problem exists with a new hire's computer. I have a script that prints a work order. This script generates a pdf on the users desktop. However on the new hire's computer the Save Records as PDF fails with an error 3. The pathname used for the file is correct and is generated by a Get (DesktopPath) function. Is there anything about a computer’s settings that could be the root cause of this? It only fails on her computer.
>>
>> I need to find a solution as she starts work on Monday.
>>
>> Her computer is an iMac with El Capitan 10.11.6 and FileMaker Pro 13.0v9.
>>
>> Thanks for any ideas,
>> Gary

> Richard DeShong
> Logic Tools
> 510-642-5123 office
> 925-285-1088 cell

Re: Error 3 from Save Records as PDF

rodney777 gmail
Error 3 refers to unsupported script steps. Some script steps are supported in fileMaker Pro but not in FileMaker Go. Are you using FileMaker Go to trigger an unsupported script step in FileMaker Pro?

> On 23 Jul 2017, at 5:22 AM, Gary Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes it's the FM error code. The path being used is /Macintosh HD/Users/aydra/Desktop/WorkOrderPrint.pdf, where the user's name is aydra and so is her home directory.   This is the form of pathname on every computer where it works, but not on her computer. The path is generated in a script using the function Get(DesktopPath).
>
> Mark suggested checking permissions. I did and she has Read & Write.
>
> Joel suggested that perhaps the pdf file exists and is open—no, not there, creating the file has always failed on this computer. Also, as noted above, every workstation uses the same script for generating the path so it's unlikely on hers there is an illegal character.
>
> Gary
>
>> On Jul 21, 2017, at 6:35 PM, Richard DeShong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is that the FM error code?
>>
>> 3 Command is unavailable (for example, wrong operating system or mode)
>>
>> That does not sound like a permissions issue.
>>
>> Maybe something to do with the protocol used in your path variable?
>>

>> On 7/21/2017 1:15 AM, Gary Reimer wrote:
>>> Hello from Scotland;
>>>
>>> I'm on holidays, but it has come to my attention that a problem exists with a new hire's computer. I have a script that prints a work order. This script generates a pdf on the users desktop. However on the new hire's computer the Save Records as PDF fails with an error 3. The pathname used for the file is correct and is generated by a Get (DesktopPath) function. Is there anything about a computer’s settings that could be the root cause of this? It only fails on her computer.
>>>
>>> I need to find a solution as she starts work on Monday.
>>>
>>> Her computer is an iMac with El Capitan 10.11.6 and FileMaker Pro 13.0v9.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any ideas,
>>> Gary

>> --
>> Richard DeShong
>> Logic Tools
>> 510-642-5123 office
>> 925-285-1088 cell

…………………..
Yours faithfully
Rodney Ang
Blue Bay Interactive Pte Ltd

Web: www.paperless.sg

Member of FileMaker Business Alliance:
http://developer.filemaker.com/search/results/?address_country=SG&company_name=&business_description=&business_industry=&address_state=

Tel :  +65 - 9683 4777

RE: Error 3 from Save Records as PDF

Richard DeShong
Gary,
I get that it works on the other computers, so it's hard to think that there might be something wrong with the Save Rcds As step.  But according to the error code, there is something wrong.  So best to start from there.

A debug step would be to duplicate the script and run the Save Rcds step *with" dialog - so the user can specify where to put the file.  See if that works to create a file to their desktop.

Yes it's the FM error code. The path being used is /Macintosh HD/Users/aydra/Desktop/WorkOrderPrint.pdf, where the user's name is aydra and so is her home directory.   This is the form of pathname on every computer where it works, but not on her computer. The path is generated in a script using the function Get(DesktopPath).

Mark suggested checking permissions. I did and she has Read & Write.

Joel suggested that perhaps the pdf file exists and is open—no, not there, creating the file has always failed on this computer. Also, as noted above, every workstation uses the same script for generating the path so it's unlikely on hers there is an illegal character.

Gary

> On Jul 21, 2017, at 6:35 PM, Richard DeShong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is that the FM error code?
>
> 3 Command is unavailable (for example, wrong operating system or mode)
>
> That does not sound like a permissions issue.
>
> Maybe something to do with the protocol used in your path variable?
>

> On 7/21/2017 1:15 AM, Gary Reimer wrote:
>> Hello from Scotland;
>>
>> I'm on holidays, but it has come to my attention that a problem exists with a new hire's computer. I have a script that prints a work order. This script generates a pdf on the users desktop. However on the new hire's computer the Save Records as PDF fails with an error 3. The pathname used for the file is correct and is generated by a Get (DesktopPath) function. Is there anything about a computer’s settings that could be the root cause of this? It only fails on her computer.
>>
>> I need to find a solution as she starts work on Monday.
>>
>> Her computer is an iMac with El Capitan 10.11.6 and FileMaker Pro 13.0v9.
>>
>> Thanks for any ideas,
>> Gary

> Richard DeShong
> Logic Tools
> 510-642-5123 office
> 925-285-1088 cell

Re: Error 3 from Save Records as PDF

Stephen Wonfor-3
Gary

Had a situation last month where 2 of 12 users lost access to their Documents folder.  For no reason I can imagine, other than malice or divine intervention, their Macintosh HardDrive/user/Documents folder was locked. Unchecked the lock under get info.

Stephen

Sent using a device built by a popular California technology cult.