Does installing FMP 7 Server to backup computer enhance backup?

Does installing FMP 7 Server to backup computer enhance backup?

Jim Hickam
Hello Experts!
According to a client, FileMaker, Inc. support people told them that they
should buy another copy of FMP7 Server and install it on the computer they
are backing up to. This makes no sense to me since the backup script is
having FMP 7 server backup to the local drive  (the same drive FMP7 server
is installed on) and then a backup utility is copying those files to another
computer. The backup utility has nothing to do with FileMaker.

The real problem is that FMP7 Server is "hanging" on backup. The client has
to reboot the server computer sometimes right after a backup has been
completed. Has anyone experience with this issue?

Windows 2000 Server

Jim Hickam

Re: Does installing FMP 7 Server to backup computer enhance backup?

Derrick Fogle
sounds like somebody is smoking something....

The backup utility is most likely NOT excluding the directory the
live FMP are in. Make sure the backup utility excludes the directory
that FMPS uses for live, open files, and only backs up the files that
FMPS has created in it's backup script. That will probably make the
problem go away.

Derrick Fogle
[hidden email]

On May 19, 2005, at 8:27 AM, Jim Hickam wrote:

> Hello Experts!
> According to a client, FileMaker, Inc. support people told them
> that they
> should buy another copy of FMP7 Server and install it on the
> computer they
> are backing up to. This makes no sense to me since the backup
> script is
> having FMP 7 server backup to the local drive  (the same drive FMP7
> server
> is installed on) and then a backup utility is copying those files
> to another
> computer. The backup utility has nothing to do with FileMaker.
>
> The real problem is that FMP7 Server is "hanging" on backup. The
> client has
> to reboot the server computer sometimes right after a backup has been
> completed. Has anyone experience with this issue?
>
> Windows 2000 Server
>
> Jim Hickam

> [hidden email]>
> FMPexperts is hosted by Ironclad Networks <http://
> www.ironclad.net.au/>

Re: Does installing FMP 7 Server to backup computer enhance backup?

Steven H. Blackwell
Jim Hickam <[hidden email]> reports:

> According to a client, FileMaker, Inc. support people told them that they
> should buy another copy of FMP7 Server and install it on the computer they
> are backing up to.

Say what?

Mr. Hickam:

Got a case number for this?

This is clearly not correct. Either the "support people" erred, or the
client misunderstood what it was supposedly told.

You then go on to describe your backup scenario:

> the backup script is
> having FMP 7 server backup to the local drive  (the same drive FMP7 server
> is installed on) and then a backup utility is copying those files to another
> computer.

Well, this is better than trying to back up the live files with the
"backup utility." However, a better approach would be to have the OS
copy the first backup to a network share or to have FMS write a second
backup to a network share.  Then the "backup utility" can address the
copy on the network share.

Further, you noted:

> The real problem is that FMP7 Server is "hanging" on backup. The client has
> to reboot the server computer sometimes right after a backup has been
> completed.

Well, I'd say that is a problem.  And I hope your client has closed the
files and hopefully stopped the service before doing that reboot.
Otherwise there is a very excellent chance that the files are being
damaged, perhaps irretrievably so.

HTH

Steven

--
Steven H. Blackwell
Partner Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

FileMaker Security:  The Book
http://www.filemakersecurity.com

FileMaker? Pro 7 Is Here!
http://www.filemaker.com/support/upgrade/techbriefs.html

One Hundred Thirty Seven Countries of FileMaker Pro!!
http://www.FMP-Power.com

Jim Hickam wrote:

> Hello Experts!
> According to a client, FileMaker, Inc. support people told them that they
> should buy another copy of FMP7 Server and install it on the computer they
> are backing up to. This makes no sense to me since the backup script is
> having FMP 7 server backup to the local drive  (the same drive FMP7 server
> is installed on) and then a backup utility is copying those files to another
> computer. The backup utility has nothing to do with FileMaker.
>
> The real problem is that FMP7 Server is "hanging" on backup. The client has
> to reboot the server computer sometimes right after a backup has been
> completed. Has anyone experience with this issue?
>
> Windows 2000 Server
>
> Jim Hickam

RE: Does installing FMP 7 Server to backup computer enhance backup?

Jim Hickam
Absolutely!
Jim Hickam