'Constrain Found Set' not working as expected

'Constrain Found Set' not working as expected

Keith M. Rettig
Trying to use a nested Find strategy and the Constrain Found Set script step is not working as I would expect. Wondering if it is me or if checking for duplicates is the issue?
There are 36 records in the table.

Step 1.  Perform Find (Restore); omit records with field1 = 1 AND omit records with field2 = 1 AND omit records with field3 = 1    [three find requests]
        I am accurately getting the 14 records I expect.

Within those 14 records, six of them have the same value in field4 (more specifically there are two records with value = blue, another two records with value = green, and yet another two records with value = yellow).

Step 2.  Constrain Found Set (Restore); omit records with field4 = !   [that’s an exclamation point]

I am only getting two records when I should get eight.  The six records that are not remaining but should have stayed are records that have duplicate values of field4 but with the 22 records that were excluded in Step 1.  I am expecting that it is only looking at the 14 records that were found in Step 1 and searching for duplicates there.

Am I doing something wrong or does the request to find duplicates not work with Constrain Found Set?

I found an article from 2012 that says that ! fails to stay within the Constrain Found Set.
I found another article from 2015 that says that ! fails to stay within the Constrain Found Set.
So I suppose the answer is that Filemaker still hasn’t fixed this function in 2018 or that it doesn’t agree with me that it is broken.

Keith.

Re: 'Constrain Found Set' not working as expected

Beverly Voth-3
This thread on FileMaker Community Forum:
* https://community.filemaker.com/message/737786
seems to state that the ! only works in a Constrain if the field is UNINDEXED.
Read the rest of the thread to see if it answers your questions.
Also read the referenced article:
* https://filemakerhacks.com/2015/05/09/successfully-find-duplicate-values-within-a-set-of-records/
Beverly