Conditional colouring on (bar) chart

Patrick Neame
Hello all,

(FMAdvanced 14 with FMGO 14 hosted on FMS 14)

Does anyone know if there’s a way to conditionally format the colours of the bars in a chart or are we stuck with whatever FileMaker offers.

The background ...

I have a little file that I threw together for the Le Mans race last year and with Le Mans approaching I’ve been doing a few tweaks. I may have asked this question last year but can’t find any reference to it

There are four car classes at Le Mans, each class has a different background colour for its race number. LMP1 is red, LMP2 is blue, GT Pro is Green, and GT Am is Orange.

There are also four classes of driver license, Platinum, Gold Silver, Bronze.

One of my layouts has a chart showing the total drivers with each license and then the number of drivers in each car class with that license.

So for Platinum the total is 71 with 15 in LMP1, 17 in P2 etc. It’s fine and displays everything correctly.

But it would be nice if the totals for each class within each license group could display the colour relevant to each class.

Many thanks in advance

Patrick Neame

Re: Conditional colouring on (bar) chart

Richard DeShong
Hi Patrick,

Sounds like you need to move beyond what FM is providing.  A plugin in
one choice - the cost for a single user license seems to be in the
60-140 usd range.  The other option is to use the webviewer - either
designing your own using html and css, or using an api and a
webservice.  Google for "filemaker chart plugin" for many options,
including the webviewer.

On 6/1/2017 5:09 AM, Patrick Neame wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> (FMAdvanced 14 with FMGO 14 hosted on FMS 14)
>
> Does anyone know if there’s a way to conditionally format the colours of the bars in a chart or are we stuck with whatever FileMaker offers.
>
> The background ...
>
> I have a little file that I threw together for the Le Mans race last year and with Le Mans approaching I’ve been doing a few tweaks. I may have asked this question last year but can’t find any reference to it
>
> There are four car classes at Le Mans, each class has a different background colour for its race number. LMP1 is red, LMP2 is blue, GT Pro is Green, and GT Am is Orange.
>
> There are also four classes of driver license, Platinum, Gold Silver, Bronze.
>
> One of my layouts has a chart showing the total drivers with each license and then the number of drivers in each car class with that license.
>
> So for Platinum the total is 71 with 15 in LMP1, 17 in P2 etc. It’s fine and displays everything correctly.
>
> But it would be nice if the totals for each class within each license group could display the colour relevant to each class.
>

> Many thanks in advance
>
> Patrick Neame

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell

Re: Conditional colouring on (bar) chart

Kevin Frank
Hi Patrick,

I showed how to do this via xmChart at POE in 2014. (I posted a similar
message to another list last month... apologies to anyone seeing this
twice.)

My example had to do with color coding wine regions so they always have
the same color -- it appears about halfway through this very lengthy
article.

https://filemakerhacks.com/2014/11/01/blurring-the-distinction-between-schema-and-data-part-2/

Feel free to contact me off-line if you have any specific questions.

Full disclosure: I've made a decent portion of my living via xmChart for
the last 10 years, so I'm biased.

Kevin

Kevin Frank & Associates
[hidden email]
www.kevinfrank.com
FileMaker 7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15 Certified
blog: www.filemakerhacks.com

Patrick Neame wrote:

> Does anyone know if there’s a way to conditionally format the colours of the bars in a chart or are we stuck with whatever FileMaker offers.
>
> The background ...
>
> I have a little file that I threw together for the Le Mans race last year and with Le Mans approaching I’ve been doing a few tweaks. I may have asked this question last year but can’t find any reference to it
>
> There are four car classes at Le Mans, each class has a different background colour for its race number. LMP1 is red, LMP2 is blue, GT Pro is Green, and GT Am is Orange.
>
> There are also four classes of driver license, Platinum, Gold Silver, Bronze.
>
> One of my layouts has a chart showing the total drivers with each license and then the number of drivers in each car class with that license.
>
> So for Platinum the total is 71 with 15 in LMP1, 17 in P2 etc. It’s fine and displays everything correctly.
>
> But it would be nice if the totals for each class within each license group could display the colour relevant to each class.

Re: Conditional colouring on (bar) chart

Patrick Neame
Many thanks both,

XM Chart looks like just the job but it’s $129 which for a bit of holiday fun for me can’t be justified. (It’s about ten bottles of Jasniers, the Appellation for the area just to the south of Le Mans.)

Do you know if it works on FM Go without a connection to a server? One of the other plugs I spotted, I forget which one, needed to be on the server with FM Go talking to it. That’s not possible from the side of the track at Le Mans.

Yours,

Patrick Neame

> On 1 Jun 2017, at 22:38, Kevin Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Patrick,
>
> I showed how to do this via xmChart at POE in 2014. (I posted a similar message to another list last month... apologies to anyone seeing this twice.)
>
> My example had to do with color coding wine regions so they always have the same color -- it appears about halfway through this very lengthy article.
>
>   https://filemakerhacks.com/2014/11/01/blurring-the-distinction-between-schema-and-data-part-2/
>
> Feel free to contact me off-line if you have any specific questions.
>
> Full disclosure: I've made a decent portion of my living via xmChart for the last 10 years, so I'm biased.
>
> Kevin

> Kevin Frank & Associates
> [hidden email]
> www.kevinfrank.com
> 707-822-6414
> FileMaker 7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15 Certified
> blog: www.filemakerhacks.com
>
> Patrick Neame wrote:
>> Does anyone know if there’s a way to conditionally format the colours of the bars in a chart or are we stuck with whatever FileMaker offers.
>>
>> The background ...
>>
>> I have a little file that I threw together for the Le Mans race last year and with Le Mans approaching I’ve been doing a few tweaks. I may have asked this question last year but can’t find any reference to it
>>
>> There are four car classes at Le Mans, each class has a different background colour for its race number. LMP1 is red, LMP2 is blue, GT Pro is Green, and GT Am is Orange.
>>
>> There are also four classes of driver license, Platinum, Gold Silver, Bronze.
>>
>> One of my layouts has a chart showing the total drivers with each license and then the number of drivers in each car class with that license.
>>
>> So for Platinum the total is 71 with 15 in LMP1, 17 in P2 etc. It’s fine and displays everything correctly.
>>
>> But it would be nice if the totals for each class within each license group could display the colour relevant to each class.

Re: Conditional colouring on (bar) chart

Kevin Frank
For FM Go it would expect a server connection.

> On Jun 2, 2017, at 12:46 AM, Patrick Neame <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Many thanks both,
>
> XM Chart looks like just the job but it’s $129 which for a bit of holiday fun for me can’t be justified. (It’s about ten bottles of Jasniers, the Appellation for the area just to the south of Le Mans.)
>
> Do you know if it works on FM Go without a connection to a server? One of the other plugs I spotted, I forget which one, needed to be on the server with FM Go talking to it. That’s not possible from the side of the track at Le Mans.
>
> Yours,
>

> Patrick Neame
>
>> On 1 Jun 2017, at 22:38, Kevin Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Patrick,
>>
>> I showed how to do this via xmChart at POE in 2014. (I posted a similar message to another list last month... apologies to anyone seeing this twice.)
>>
>> My example had to do with color coding wine regions so they always have the same color -- it appears about halfway through this very lengthy article.
>>
>>  https://filemakerhacks.com/2014/11/01/blurring-the-distinction-between-schema-and-data-part-2/
>>
>> Feel free to contact me off-line if you have any specific questions.
>>
>> Full disclosure: I've made a decent portion of my living via xmChart for the last 10 years, so I'm biased.
>>
>> Kevin

>> Kevin Frank & Associates
>> [hidden email]
>> www.kevinfrank.com
>> 707-822-6414
>> FileMaker 7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15 Certified
>> blog: www.filemakerhacks.com
>>
>> Patrick Neame wrote:
>>> Does anyone know if there’s a way to conditionally format the colours of the bars in a chart or are we stuck with whatever FileMaker offers.
>>>
>>> The background ...
>>>
>>> I have a little file that I threw together for the Le Mans race last year and with Le Mans approaching I’ve been doing a few tweaks. I may have asked this question last year but can’t find any reference to it
>>>
>>> There are four car classes at Le Mans, each class has a different background colour for its race number. LMP1 is red, LMP2 is blue, GT Pro is Green, and GT Am is Orange.
>>>
>>> There are also four classes of driver license, Platinum, Gold Silver, Bronze.
>>>
>>> One of my layouts has a chart showing the total drivers with each license and then the number of drivers in each car class with that license.
>>>
>>> So for Platinum the total is 71 with 15 in LMP1, 17 in P2 etc. It’s fine and displays everything correctly.
>>>
>>> But it would be nice if the totals for each class within each license group could display the colour relevant to each class.

Re: Conditional colouring on (bar) chart

Richard DeShong
Patrick, I hear you about cost "for a bit of holiday fun".

Keep in mind that buying a plugin is not just about a particular
project.  It's about buying a tool that gives you more options for all
future projects.

On 6/2/2017 12:46 AM, Patrick Neame wrote:

> Many thanks both,
>
> XM Chart looks like just the job but it’s $129 which for a bit of holiday fun for me can’t be justified. (It’s about ten bottles of Jasniers, the Appellation for the area just to the south of Le Mans.)
>
> Do you know if it works on FM Go without a connection to a server? One of the other plugs I spotted, I forget which one, needed to be on the server with FM Go talking to it. That’s not possible from the side of the track at Le Mans.
>
> Yours,
>

> Patrick Neame
>
>> On 1 Jun 2017, at 22:38, Kevin Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Patrick,
>>
>> I showed how to do this via xmChart at POE in 2014. (I posted a similar message to another list last month... apologies to anyone seeing this twice.)
>>
>> My example had to do with color coding wine regions so they always have the same color -- it appears about halfway through this very lengthy article.
>>
>>    https://filemakerhacks.com/2014/11/01/blurring-the-distinction-between-schema-and-data-part-2/
>>
>> Feel free to contact me off-line if you have any specific questions.
>>
>> Full disclosure: I've made a decent portion of my living via xmChart for the last 10 years, so I'm biased.
>>
>> Kevin

>> Kevin Frank & Associates
>> [hidden email]
>> www.kevinfrank.com
>> 707-822-6414
>> FileMaker 7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15 Certified
>> blog: www.filemakerhacks.com
>>
>> Patrick Neame wrote:
>>> Does anyone know if there’s a way to conditionally format the colours of the bars in a chart or are we stuck with whatever FileMaker offers.
>>>
>>> The background ...
>>>
>>> I have a little file that I threw together for the Le Mans race last year and with Le Mans approaching I’ve been doing a few tweaks. I may have asked this question last year but can’t find any reference to it
>>>
>>> There are four car classes at Le Mans, each class has a different background colour for its race number. LMP1 is red, LMP2 is blue, GT Pro is Green, and GT Am is Orange.
>>>
>>> There are also four classes of driver license, Platinum, Gold Silver, Bronze.
>>>
>>> One of my layouts has a chart showing the total drivers with each license and then the number of drivers in each car class with that license.
>>>
>>> So for Platinum the total is 71 with 15 in LMP1, 17 in P2 etc. It’s fine and displays everything correctly.
>>>
>>> But it would be nice if the totals for each class within each license group could display the colour relevant to each class.

Richard DeShong
Logic Tools
510-642-5123 office
925-285-1088 cell

Re: Conditional colouring on (bar) chart

Kevin Frank
Well put, and eloquently expressed. Thank you Richard.

Richard DeShong wrote:

> Patrick, I hear you about cost "for a bit of holiday fun".
>
> Keep in mind that buying a plugin is not just about a particular
> project.  It's about buying a tool that gives you more options for all
> future projects.
>

> On 6/2/2017 12:46 AM, Patrick Neame wrote:
>> Many thanks both,
>>
>> XM Chart looks like just the job but it’s $129 which for a bit of
>> holiday fun for me can’t be justified. (It’s about ten bottles of
>> Jasniers, the Appellation for the area just to the south of Le Mans.)

RE: Conditional colouring on (bar) chart

Richard DeShong
Thanks, Kevin.  Can't say that it "made my day" *, but I appreciate it just the same.

* You were competing against making brunch with my daughter:  garlic cheesy eggs, hash browns, bacon, cinnamon rolls, and the best part, my daughter!

Richard DeShong wrote:

> Patrick, I hear you about cost "for a bit of holiday fun".
>
> Keep in mind that buying a plugin is not just about a particular
> project.  It's about buying a tool that gives you more options for all
> future projects.
>

> On 6/2/2017 12:46 AM, Patrick Neame wrote:
>> Many thanks both,
>>
>> XM Chart looks like just the job but it’s $129 which for a bit of
>> holiday fun for me can’t be justified. (It’s about ten bottles of
>> Jasniers, the Appellation for the area just to the south of Le Mans.)

Re: Conditional colouring on (bar) chart

Kevin Frank
Just wanted to acknowledge that you hit that nail squarely on the head. I started to write a similar response, but couldn't find the right words so bailed out.