Conditional Formatting of Objects

Jeff Yurka
Can you conditionally format a layout object like a line?
Trying to color code a pipeline, in sections, showing status of section.
Was trying to overlay Lines over a graphic and then conditionally format but the menu that menu item is not available after selecting line object.

Jeff Yurka
FileMaker Certified Developer
voice: 503.475.0974
email: [hidden email]
web: http://yurka.net

Re: Conditional Formatting of Objects

Beverly Voth-3
howdy, Jeff. I don't know if this helps. If I have trouble with lines (that need to be horizontal or vertical - no angles), then I use a "box" with no border and make it very narrow. These tend to resize and conditionally format better. But that may just be me.

beverly

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Jeff Yurka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Can you conditionally format a layout object like a line?
> Trying to color code a pipeline, in sections, showing status of section.
> Was trying to overlay Lines over a graphic and then conditionally format but the menu that menu item is not available after selecting line object.
>

> Jeff Yurka
> FileMaker Certified Developer
> voice: 503.475.0974
> email: [hidden email]
> web: http://yurka.net

Re: Conditional Formatting of Objects

wrwaugh
You can use a text object.  just enter a space then size the text object to fit.

Conversely, you can make various colored lines and use the hide object to conditionally show various lines.

Riley Waugh
[hidden email]

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Jeff Yurka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Can you conditionally format a layout object like a line?
> Trying to color code a pipeline, in sections, showing status of section.
> Was trying to overlay Lines over a graphic and then conditionally format but the menu that menu item is not available after selecting line object.
>

> Jeff Yurka
> FileMaker Certified Developer
> voice: 503.475.0974
> email: [hidden email]
> web: http://yurka.net

Re: Conditional Formatting of Objects

Jonathan Fletcher-2
They also constrain to vertical and horizontal better…

::-)

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 10:37 AM, BEVERLY VOTH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> howdy, Jeff. I don't know if this helps. If I have trouble with lines (that need to be horizontal or vertical - no angles), then I use a "box" with no border and make it very narrow. These tend to resize and conditionally format better. But that may just be me.
>
> beverly
>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Jeff Yurka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Can you conditionally format a layout object like a line?
>> Trying to color code a pipeline, in sections, showing status of section.
>> Was trying to overlay Lines over a graphic and then conditionally format but the menu that menu item is not available after selecting line object.
>>

>> Jeff Yurka
>> FileMaker Certified Developer
>> voice: 503.475.0974
>> email: [hidden email]
>> web: http://yurka.net

Jonathan Fletcher
[hidden email]

Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
Next Meeting: 4/25/17

Sent from a device not known for spontaneous combustion

Re: Conditional Formatting of Objects

Jeff Yurka
Thanks all for the incredibly fast responses.
I have placed a graphic example that I hope to overlay line objects on in my DropBox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1o6vek7fjs8y3y4/Pipes.png?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/1o6vek7fjs8y3y4/Pipes.png?dl=0>

Using text boxes is not possible because of the angle irregularity.
So far the only  solution the would work is Riley’s:
"Conversely, you can make various colored lines and use the hide object to conditionally show various lines."

Thanks all for your input.

-Jeff

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 7:39 AM, Jonathan Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> They also constrain to vertical and horizontal better…
>
> ::-)
>
>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 10:37 AM, BEVERLY VOTH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> howdy, Jeff. I don't know if this helps. If I have trouble with lines (that need to be horizontal or vertical - no angles), then I use a "box" with no border and make it very narrow. These tend to resize and conditionally format better. But that may just be me.
>>
>> beverly
>>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Jeff Yurka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you conditionally format a layout object like a line?
>>> Trying to color code a pipeline, in sections, showing status of section.
>>> Was trying to overlay Lines over a graphic and then conditionally format but the menu that menu item is not available after selecting line object.
>>>

>>> Jeff Yurka
>>> FileMaker Certified Developer
>>> voice: 503.475.0974
>>> email: [hidden email]
>>> web: http://yurka.net

> Jonathan Fletcher
> [hidden email]
>
> Kentuckiana FileMaker Developers Group
> Next Meeting: 4/25/17
>
> Sent from a device not known for spontaneous combustion

Jeff Yurka
FileMaker Certified Developer
voice: 503.475.0974
email: [hidden email]
web: http://yurka.net

Re: Conditional Formatting of Objects

Darren Terry-3
Hi Jeff: As you’ve discovered, line objects cannot be conditionally formatted. That’s because conditional formatting in FM doesn’t apply to the line attributes of objects (the borders of fields, the borders of boxes, etc). You can conditionally format the fill color of a box or field, but not the line attributes.

Layering objects using conditional visibility is probably the way you want to go.

> On Apr 25,2017, at 7:31 AM, Jeff Yurka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Can you conditionally format a layout object like a line?
> Trying to color code a pipeline, in sections, showing status of section.
> Was trying to overlay Lines over a graphic and then conditionally format but the menu that menu item is not available after selecting line object.
>

> Jeff Yurka
> FileMaker Certified Developer
> voice: 503.475.0974
> email: [hidden email]
> web: http://yurka.net

regards,
Darren

******************************
 Darren Terry
 Pacific Data Management, Inc.
 FileMaker Certified Developer
 Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003
 Fax: (408) 283-5903
 [hidden email]
 http://www.pdm-inc.com/

Re: Conditional Formatting of Objects

Beverly Voth-3
use the layering/hiding or come up with a Web Viewer with HTML5, JavaScript & CSS. But much work there, too. :)
beverly