Client getting HOST CAPACITY EXCEEDED error

Client getting HOST CAPACITY EXCEEDED error

Bob Patin
I have a client who’s trying to open her database set (she has about 25 databases); she’s been my client for years, and only lately has she gotten this error a couple of times.

The server she’s connecting to is running FMS 14; I’ve got the USERS setting at 300, but there are only 48 users on the machine right now.

She’s using FileMaker 13; she’s not using WebDirect or an iOS device. The server is running FMS 14.

I logged into her databases using her login and it worked fine for me; I got 17 databases open without any trouble. When she tries it, she gets 2 or 3 files open before the error pops up and FileMaker disconnects (and quits I think).

Has anyone seen this, and if so, what’s the fix?

Thanks,

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

RE: Client getting HOST CAPACITY EXCEEDED error

Dan Kelly-2
Check the space available on the main drive, it craps out when approaching 10gb of free space, I know this happens on a PC, whether it's the C: drive or another drive it's installed on

Best Regards,
Dan Kelly
Yachtlink
954 663 1630

[...]

FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

Re: Client getting HOST CAPACITY EXCEEDED error

Bob Patin
Drive shows 140GB of free space; this is on a Mac.

Really frustrating; when I login I get all the files, and I just got on the phone with one of her employees, who shows 15 files open (which is what the admin console shows too).

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

> On Jul 10, 2017, at 1:21 PM, Dan Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Check the space available on the main drive, it craps out when approaching 10gb of free space, I know this happens on a PC, whether it's the C: drive or another drive it's installed on
>
> Best Regards,
> Dan Kelly
> Yachtlink
> 954 663 1630

John Wolff-2
Hi Bob,

I’ve had a similar issue where the FMS volume in V14 had thousands of “hidden” files which did not clobber the free space but certainly prevented FMS from working. Daisy Disk found ‘em and they were then easily deleted.

Never discovered how they got there and have not seen a recurrence.

If it’s the same issue, then it would be worth keeping one to see if their source could be traced.

I hope that helps,

John Wolff
Grandmother’s Garden Patchwork & Quilting
1042 Gordonton Rd, RD 1
Hamilton, 3281, New Zealand
(07) 824 3050
[hidden email]

> On 11/07/2017, at 8:04 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> From: Bob Patin <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
> Drive shows 140GB of free space; this is on a Mac.

Re: Client getting HOST CAPACITY EXCEEDED error

Bob Patin
Hey John,

Was that on a Mac or on a PC?

I do know now that the issue is Perform Script on Server; I increased the # of scripts that can run to 500, then had one of my clients (who’s using PSoS and having recent issues) test it, but it still threw the same error.

I’m at a loss other than to restart tonight, which I’m going to do; if anyone knows how to resolve this, I’d appreciate any wisdom. My latest theory is that another client (who is also trying to use PSoS) may have modified his script and it’s causing the issue.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

> On Jul 10, 2017, at 3:40 PM, John Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> I’ve had a similar issue where the FMS volume in V14 had thousands of “hidden” files which did not clobber the free space but certainly prevented FMS from working. Daisy Disk found ‘em and they were then easily deleted.
>
> Never discovered how they got there and have not seen a recurrence.
>
> If it’s the same issue, then it would be worth keeping one to see if their source could be traced.
>
> I hope that helps,
>
> John Wolff
> Grandmother’s Garden Patchwork & Quilting
> 1042 Gordonton Rd, RD 1
> Hamilton, 3281, New Zealand
> (07) 824 3050
> [hidden email]
>
>> On 11/07/2017, at 8:04 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> From: Bob Patin <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>
>> Drive shows 140GB of free space; this is on a Mac.

RE: Client getting HOST CAPACITY EXCEEDED error

Dan Kelly-2
Bob it does sound like something is happening as far as a script running on the server at certain intervals or a file or two are running scripts or having issues with multiple users performing different functions, does the log show anything?

Best Regards,
Dan Kelly
Yachtlink
954 663 1630

I do know now that the issue is Perform Script on Server; I increased the # of scripts that can run to 500, then had one of my clients (who’s using PSoS and having recent issues) test it, but it still threw the same error.

I’m at a loss other than to restart tonight, which I’m going to do; if anyone knows how to resolve this, I’d appreciate any wisdom. My latest theory is that another client (who is also trying to use PSoS) may have modified his script and it’s causing the issue.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting
FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

> On Jul 10, 2017, at 3:40 PM, John Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> I’ve had a similar issue where the FMS volume in V14 had thousands of “hidden” files which did not clobber the free space but certainly prevented FMS from working. Daisy Disk found ‘em and they were then easily deleted.
>
> Never discovered how they got there and have not seen a recurrence.
>
> If it’s the same issue, then it would be worth keeping one to see if their source could be traced.
>
> I hope that helps,
>
> John Wolff
> Grandmother’s Garden Patchwork & Quilting
> 1042 Gordonton Rd, RD 1
> Hamilton, 3281, New Zealand
> (07) 824 3050
> [hidden email]
>
>> On 11/07/2017, at 8:04 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> From: Bob Patin <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>
>> Drive shows 140GB of free space; this is on a Mac.

Re: Client getting HOST CAPACITY EXCEEDED error

Bob Patin

> On Jul 10, 2017, at 5:35 PM, Dan Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bob it does sound like something is happening as far as a script running on the server at certain intervals or a file or two are running scripts or having issues with multiple users performing different functions, does the log show anything?

Not a thing…

I don’t know how often client #2 runs his script; I’ve spoken with the programmer for the 1st client (who is a very good friend of mine and an excellent programmer); his script’s not doing anything that would cause this, and has been in use for more than a year. We just started having problems a week or two ago. This leads me to wonder if the script used by client #2 has been modified lately.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

Re: Client getting HOST CAPACITY EXCEEDED error

John Wolff-2
Hi Bob,

It was around 18 months ago on a 2008 8-core MacPro with a 240 GB PCI SSD for the FMS Volume. Daisy Disk reported 185 GB of identical files, which was sufficient to leave insufficient Free Space for FMS to work.
I seem to recall we were running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) at the time with FMS V14.
Replaced the SSD with some spinning rust and updated the OS to  OS X 10.11.

In hindsight it’s become an almost forgotten issue as we never found the cause.

Cheers,

John Wolff

Hamilton, New Zealand
[hidden email]

> On 12/07/2017, at 8:06 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hey John,
>
> Was that on a Mac or on a PC?

Re: Client getting HOST CAPACITY EXCEEDED error

Bob Patin
I think I know the culprit now; one of my clients added a PSoS and that’s when the problem started.

I’m going to talk to him about his script and find out what it’s doing; I suspect he’s causing an endless loop.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

> On Jul 11, 2017, at 5:24 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> It was around 18 months ago on a 2008 8-core MacPro with a 240 GB PCI SSD for the FMS Volume. Daisy Disk reported 185 GB of identical files, which was sufficient to leave insufficient Free Space for FMS to work.
> I seem to recall we were running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) at the time with FMS V14.
> Replaced the SSD with some spinning rust and updated the OS to  OS X 10.11.
>
> In hindsight it’s become an almost forgotten issue as we never found the cause.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John Wolff
>
> Hamilton, New Zealand
> [hidden email]
>
>> On 12/07/2017, at 8:06 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Hey John,
>>
>> Was that on a Mac or on a PC?

Re: Client getting HOST CAPACITY EXCEEDED error

tim ballering-2
I remember a session on security a few years ago- Steven Blackwell I believe - where a Dns sever could be brought to its knees by the sample file or any other file with an open full access password. All the bad guys had to do was write a looping script that added records until the severs capacity was hit.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 11, 2017, at 7:47 PM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think I know the culprit now; one of my clients added a PSoS and that’s when the problem started.
>
> I’m going to talk to him about his script and find out what it’s doing; I suspect he’s causing an endless loop.
>

> Bob Patin
> Longterm Solutions
> [hidden email]
> 615-333-6858
> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
> -
> iChat: [hidden email]
> Twitter: bobpatin
> —
> FileMaker Consulting
> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting
>
>> On Jul 11, 2017, at 5:24 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> It was around 18 months ago on a 2008 8-core MacPro with a 240 GB PCI SSD for the FMS Volume. Daisy Disk reported 185 GB of identical files, which was sufficient to leave insufficient Free Space for FMS to work.
>> I seem to recall we were running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) at the time with FMS V14.
>> Replaced the SSD with some spinning rust and updated the OS to  OS X 10.11.
>>
>> In hindsight it’s become an almost forgotten issue as we never found the cause.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> John Wolff
>>
>> Hamilton, New Zealand
>> [hidden email]
>>
>>> On 12/07/2017, at 8:06 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey John,
>>>
>>> Was that on a Mac or on a PC?

Re: Client getting HOST CAPACITY EXCEEDED error

tim ballering-2
FMS, FMS darn auto correct

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 11, 2017, at 8:18 PM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I remember a session on security a few years ago- Steven Blackwell I believe - where a Dns sever could be brought to its knees by the sample file or any other file with an open full access password. All the bad guys had to do was write a looping script that added records until the severs capacity was hit.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 11, 2017, at 7:47 PM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think I know the culprit now; one of my clients added a PSoS and that’s when the problem started.
>>
>> I’m going to talk to him about his script and find out what it’s doing; I suspect he’s causing an endless loop.
>>

>> Bob Patin
>> Longterm Solutions
>> [hidden email]
>> 615-333-6858
>> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
>> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
>> -
>> iChat: [hidden email]
>> Twitter: bobpatin
>> —
>> FileMaker Consulting
>> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
>> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting
>>
>>> On Jul 11, 2017, at 5:24 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Bob,
>>>
>>> It was around 18 months ago on a 2008 8-core MacPro with a 240 GB PCI SSD for the FMS Volume. Daisy Disk reported 185 GB of identical files, which was sufficient to leave insufficient Free Space for FMS to work.
>>> I seem to recall we were running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) at the time with FMS V14.
>>> Replaced the SSD with some spinning rust and updated the OS to  OS X 10.11.
>>>
>>> In hindsight it’s become an almost forgotten issue as we never found the cause.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> John Wolff
>>>
>>> Hamilton, New Zealand
>>> [hidden email]

Re: Client getting HOST CAPACITY EXCEEDED error

Bob Patin
I suspect that this guy’s script has an endless loop in it—or maybe it’s recursive and is calling itself, which makes more sense. IF it did that, FMS would look at it and see that hundreds of scripts were running, until it couldn’t run any more.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

> On Jul 11, 2017, at 7:18 PM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I remember a session on security a few years ago- Steven Blackwell I believe - where a Dns sever could be brought to its knees by the sample file or any other file with an open full access password. All the bad guys had to do was write a looping script that added records until the severs capacity was hit.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 11, 2017, at 7:47 PM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think I know the culprit now; one of my clients added a PSoS and that’s when the problem started.
>>
>> I’m going to talk to him about his script and find out what it’s doing; I suspect he’s causing an endless loop.
>>

>> Bob Patin
>> Longterm Solutions
>> [hidden email]
>> 615-333-6858
>> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
>> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
>> -
>> iChat: [hidden email]
>> Twitter: bobpatin
>> —
>> FileMaker Consulting
>> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
>> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting
>>
>>> On Jul 11, 2017, at 5:24 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Bob,
>>>
>>> It was around 18 months ago on a 2008 8-core MacPro with a 240 GB PCI SSD for the FMS Volume. Daisy Disk reported 185 GB of identical files, which was sufficient to leave insufficient Free Space for FMS to work.
>>> I seem to recall we were running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) at the time with FMS V14.
>>> Replaced the SSD with some spinning rust and updated the OS to  OS X 10.11.
>>>
>>> In hindsight it’s become an almost forgotten issue as we never found the cause.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> John Wolff
>>>
>>> Hamilton, New Zealand
>>> [hidden email]

Re: Client getting HOST CAPACITY EXCEEDED error

Lisette Wilson
Bob,

I had something like this happen where the script running as PSOS was
calling a subscript, which called a subscript, which also ran as PSOS.

What fixed it was to always test before running as PSOS to ensure we
weren't already running on server. If already running on server, then that
second PSOS needed to be a straightforward PS.

Hope that helps.

--
Lisette Wilson
Informing Designs LLC

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suspect that this guy’s script has an endless loop in it—or maybe it’s
> recursive and is calling itself, which makes more sense. IF it did that,
> FMS would look at it and see that hundreds of scripts were running, until
> it couldn’t run any more.
>
> Bob Patin
> Longterm Solutions
> [hidden email]
> 615-333-6858
> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
> -
> iChat: [hidden email]
> Twitter: bobpatin
> —
> FileMaker Consulting
> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting
>
> > On Jul 11, 2017, at 7:18 PM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I remember a session on security a few years ago- Steven Blackwell I
> believe - where a Dns sever could be brought to its knees by the sample
> file or any other file with an open full access password. All the bad guys
> had to do was write a looping script that added records until the severs
> capacity was hit.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> >> On Jul 11, 2017, at 7:47 PM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I think I know the culprit now; one of my clients added a PSoS and
> that’s when the problem started.
> >>
> >> I’m going to talk to him about his script and find out what it’s doing;
> I suspect he’s causing an endless loop.
> >>

> >> Bob Patin
> >> Longterm Solutions
> >> [hidden email]
> >> 615-333-6858
> >> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
> >> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
> >> -
> >> iChat: [hidden email]
> >> Twitter: bobpatin
> >> —
> >> FileMaker Consulting
> >> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
> >> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

> SSD for the FMS Volume. Daisy Disk reported 185 GB of identical files,
> which was sufficient to leave insufficient Free Space for FMS to work.
> with FMS V14.
> 10.11.

> the cause.

Re: Client getting HOST CAPACITY EXCEEDED error

Greg Zielinski
There is a setting in the server sdmin panel for numer of simultaneous psos running.

Default is 20.

Thanks

Greg

> On 12 Jul 2017, at 12:06, Lisette Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bob,
>
> I had something like this happen where the script running as PSOS was
> calling a subscript, which called a subscript, which also ran as PSOS.
>
> What fixed it was to always test before running as PSOS to ensure we
> weren't already running on server. If already running on server, then that
> second PSOS needed to be a straightforward PS.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> --
> Lisette Wilson
> Informing Designs LLC
> ph:     512.436.0493
> mobile: 512.658.5875
> FileMaker 9-15 Certified Developer
>
>> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I suspect that this guy’s script has an endless loop in it—or maybe it’s
>> recursive and is calling itself, which makes more sense. IF it did that,
>> FMS would look at it and see that hundreds of scripts were running, until
>> it couldn’t run any more.
>>
>> Bob Patin
>> Longterm Solutions
>> [hidden email]
>> 615-333-6858
>> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
>> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
>> -
>> iChat: [hidden email]
>> Twitter: bobpatin
>> —
>> FileMaker Consulting
>> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
>> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting
>>
>>> On Jul 11, 2017, at 7:18 PM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I remember a session on security a few years ago- Steven Blackwell I
>> believe - where a Dns sever could be brought to its knees by the sample
>> file or any other file with an open full access password. All the bad guys
>> had to do was write a looping script that added records until the severs
>> capacity was hit.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>> that’s when the problem started.

>> I suspect he’s causing an endless loop.

>> SSD for the FMS Volume. Daisy Disk reported 185 GB of identical files,
>> which was sufficient to leave insufficient Free Space for FMS to work.
>> with FMS V14.
>> 10.11.

>> the cause.

Re: Client getting HOST CAPACITY EXCEEDED error

Bob Patin
Yes, but it’s already set to 500.

My guess is that he’s got some recursion going on and running too many iterations of his script.