Change in 16 to be aware of

tim ballering-2
From FMI knowledge base:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16465/related/1

Lack of error checking when running a script to modify or delete portal rows on layouts with multiple portals could result in data loss due to a behavior change made in FileMaker 16.0.1 <http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16228>:

When an empty portal that does not allow the creation of records is the target of the Go to Object script step, the script step returns error code 101 (“Record is missing”).

This change could result in data loss under the following conditions:

A script to modify or delete portal rows does not contain error checking to ensure that the correct portal is active.
Multiple portals exist on the same layout.
The first portal in creation order contains some records.
Another portal on the same layout does not contain any records.
"Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" is disabled for the related table containing 0 records.
SCENARIO

“Portal A” (with records) and “Portal B” (empty) exist on the same layout.

A button on the layout executes this script:

Go to Object [Object Name: “Portal B”]
Go to Portal Row [Select: On ; First]
Delete Portal Row [With Dialog: Off]

In FileMaker Pro 15 and earlier, “Go to Object” does not return any error when selecting Portal B. Subsequent scripted actions to modify or delete portal rows are executed in the specified portal, but ultimately do nothing since there are no portal rows to interact with.

In FileMaker Pro 16.0.1, no portal is selected due to the 101 error, so when “Go to Portal Row” and “Delete Portal Row” execute, FileMaker falls back to the earliest created portal on the layout, resulting in data loss in Portal A.

RECOMMENDATION

Before using FileMaker 16.0.1 in production, please verify that your scripts that interact with portals also contain error checking to ensure that the correct portal is active before modifying or deleting data.

Example:

Set Error Capture [On]
Go to Object [Object Name: “Portal B”]
If [ Get(LastError) ≠ 0 ]
     Exit Script [Get(Last Error)]
Else
     Go to Portal Row [Select:On ; First]
     If [ Get(LastError) = 0 and Get(ActiveLayoutObjectName) = "Portal B"]
          Delete Portal Row [With Dialog: Off]
     End If
End If

Thank you for your patience while FileMaker, Inc. works on a resolution.

Tim Ballering

Re: Change in 16 to be aware of

John Wolff-2

> On 11/05/2017, at 1:19 AM,Tim Ballering <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Multiple portals exist on the same layout.
> The first portal in creation order contains some records.
> Another portal on the same layout does not contain any records.
> "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" is disabled for the related table containing 0 records.

Hi Tim,

I need a little bit of clarification regarding the fourth item in your list as we have many buttons (for deleting the related records) within many portals in different tabs but on the same layout.

As I read the conditions above, it seems there won’t be mistaken deletion of related records from another portal so long as the “Allow creation . . . via this relationship” check box is enabled for ALL portals on the particular layout, and easily seen by the empty last portal row of each portal.

Correct??

Regards,

John Wolff
Hamilton NZ

Re: Change in 16 to be aware of

tim ballering-2
My message was a copy and paste from  the FMI knowledge base.  If I did not make that clear enough, I apologize.

If you allow creation of records via the relationship then it does not appear to cause the issue.  But how many of us have some portal somewhere that does not allow the creation of records via the relationship?  I have to run my solutions though and find every portal that a script may delete a row…

Try this:  Create a test DB with three tables, with two portals, a couple of related records in one, zero in the other.  Create a script that deletes a portal row in the portal with no records.  Open it in 16. Run the script and… it takes out a record in the wrong portal.

I’ve loaded my test to DB.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15001633/demo_portal_deletion.fmp12

Tim Ballering
[hidden email]

> On May 10, 2017, at 4:18 PM, John Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 11/05/2017, at 1:19 AM,Tim Ballering <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Multiple portals exist on the same layout.
>> The first portal in creation order contains some records.
>> Another portal on the same layout does not contain any records.
>> "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" is disabled for the related table containing 0 records.
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> I need a little bit of clarification regarding the fourth item in your list as we have many buttons (for deleting the related records) within many portals in different tabs but on the same layout.
>
> As I read the conditions above, it seems there won’t be mistaken deletion of related records from another portal so long as the “Allow creation . . . via this relationship” check box is enabled for ALL portals on the particular layout, and easily seen by the empty last portal row of each portal.
>
> Correct??
>
> Regards,
>
> John Wolff
> Hamilton NZ

2empowerFM Developer Assistant [was: Change in 16 to be aware of]

tim ballering-2
This is another time that I found myself so thankful for the 2empowerFM Developer Assistant plugin. I ran though probably a thousand scripts across a half dozen large solutions in half an hour and found the two potential problems.

Tim Ballering
[hidden email]

> On May 10, 2017, at 5:40 PM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My message was a copy and paste from  the FMI knowledge base.  If I did not make that clear enough, I apologize.
>
> If you allow creation of records via the relationship then it does not appear to cause the issue.  But how many of us have some portal somewhere that does not allow the creation of records via the relationship?  I have to run my solutions though and find every portal that a script may delete a row…
>
> Try this:  Create a test DB with three tables, with two portals, a couple of related records in one, zero in the other.  Create a script that deletes a portal row in the portal with no records.  Open it in 16. Run the script and… it takes out a record in the wrong portal.
>
> I’ve loaded my test to DB.
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15001633/demo_portal_deletion.fmp12 <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15001633/demo_portal_deletion.fmp12>

Re: 2empowerFM Developer Assistant [was: Change in 16 to be aware of]

Stephen Wonfor-3
+1 on DA - it is an extraordinary tool.   If I were stuck on a desert island...

Stephen

------

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." ---Woody Allen

> On May 11, 2017, at 5:55 AM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is another time that I found myself so thankful for the 2empowerFM Developer Assistant plugin. I ran though probably a thousand scripts across a half dozen large solutions in half an hour and found the two potential problems.
>
> Tim Ballering
> [hidden email]
>

>> On May 10, 2017, at 5:40 PM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My message was a copy and paste from  the FMI knowledge base.  If I did not make that clear enough, I apologize.
>>
>> If you allow creation of records via the relationship then it does not appear to cause the issue.  But how many of us have some portal somewhere that does not allow the creation of records via the relationship?  I have to run my solutions though and find every portal that a script may delete a row…
>>
>> Try this:  Create a test DB with three tables, with two portals, a couple of related records in one, zero in the other.  Create a script that deletes a portal row in the portal with no records.  Open it in 16. Run the script and… it takes out a record in the wrong portal.
>>
>> I’ve loaded my test to DB.
>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15001633/demo_portal_deletion.fmp12 <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15001633/demo_portal_deletion.fmp12>

Re: 2empowerFM Developer Assistant [was: Change in 16 to be aware of]

Morgan Jones-5
+3 for DA … Our team members LOVE IT!!!

As for the desert island … I’m thinking Tuesday Welds from about 1968 …   ;-)

Peace, love & brown rice,
Morgan Jones

FileMaker + Web:  Design, Develop & Deploy
Certifications: FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13
Member: FileMaker Business Alliance
One Part Harmony <http://www.onepartharmony.com/>
Austin, Texas • USA
512-422-0611

On May 11, 2017, at 1:20 PM, Stephen Wonfor <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1 on DA - it is an extraordinary tool.   If I were stuck on a desert island...

Stephen

------

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." ---Woody Allen

> On May 11, 2017, at 5:55 AM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is another time that I found myself so thankful for the 2empowerFM Developer Assistant plugin. I ran though probably a thousand scripts across a half dozen large solutions in half an hour and found the two potential problems.
>
> Tim Ballering
> [hidden email]
>

>> On May 10, 2017, at 5:40 PM, Tim Ballering <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My message was a copy and paste from  the FMI knowledge base.  If I did not make that clear enough, I apologize.
>>
>> If you allow creation of records via the relationship then it does not appear to cause the issue.  But how many of us have some portal somewhere that does not allow the creation of records via the relationship?  I have to run my solutions though and find every portal that a script may delete a row…
>>
>> Try this:  Create a test DB with three tables, with two portals, a couple of related records in one, zero in the other.  Create a script that deletes a portal row in the portal with no records.  Open it in 16. Run the script and… it takes out a record in the wrong portal.
>>
>> I’ve loaded my test to DB.
>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15001633/demo_portal_deletion.fmp12 <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15001633/demo_portal_deletion.fmp12>

Re: 2empowerFM Developer Assistant [was: Change in 16 to be aware of]

Greg Zielinski
As we are on the subject of Developer Tools.
I need to make up my mind and get some now

If you'd had a choice of only one, which one of the below tools would you pick and why?

FMperception <https://www.geistinteractive.com/products/fmperception-fast-filemaker-analysis/#gi-fmperception-pricing>
Inspector Pro 6 <https://beezwax.net/products/inspector-pro>
BaseElements (the app) <http://www.baseelements.com/>
2empowerFM Developer Assistant <http://www.dracoventions.com/products/2empowerFM/family/developer.php>

Greg
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

>> This is another time that I found myself so thankful for the 2empowerFM Developer Assistant plugin. I ran though probably a thousand scripts across a half dozen large solutions in half an hour and found the two potential problems.
>>
>> Tim Ballering

Re: 2empowerFM Developer Assistant [was: Change in 16 to be aware of]

Gary Reimer-2
Can't only choose one. I must have 2empowerFM and fmperception.
Gary

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 12, 2017, at 8:15 AM, Greg Zielinski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As we are on the subject of Developer Tools.
> I need to make up my mind and get some now
>
> If you'd had a choice of only one, which one of the below tools would you pick and why?
>
> FMperception <https://www.geistinteractive.com/products/fmperception/products/inspector-pro>
> BaseElements (the app) <http://www.baseelements.com/>
> 2empowerFM Developer Assistant <http://www.dracoventions.com/products/2empowerFM/family/developer.php>
>

> Greg
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>

>>> This is another time that I found myself so thankful for the 2empowerFM Developer Assistant plugin. I ran though probably a thousand scripts across a half dozen large solutions in half an hour and found the two potential problems.
>>>
>>> Tim Ballering

Re: 2empowerFM Developer Assistant [was: Change in 16 to be aware of]

Mark Rubenstein
Greg,

I can’t comment on FM Perception or Inspector Pro.
I have only seen demos of them, but I don’t own them.

I do own BaseElements, and I have used it a number of times and found it useful.

But Developer Assistant is indispensable to me.
I use it every day.

Mark

Re: 2empowerFM Developer Assistant [was: Change in 16 to be aware of]

Bob Minteer-2

Re: 2empowerFM Developer Assistant [was: Change in 16 to be aware of]

Stephen Wonfor-3
+1 for 2EmpowerDA.  Essential.

Stephen

---

"From the fact that the hero drives a car with a cell phone in one hand, a cigarette in the other, no hands on the wheel, and no seat belt, it can swiftly be deduced that “The Father of My Children” is a French film:" --- Anthony Lane, New Yorker Magazine, 20100607

> On May 12, 2017, at 9:28 AM, Bob Minteer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I find Developer Assistant to be a very important part of my tool kit.  Find and replace allow my to locate patterns/strings quickly from wherever I am working at the moment (script editor, manage databases, etc).
>
> In addition, I use InspectorPro to track dependencies type check my relationships and help me keep my unreferenced / dead code at bay.
>
> Oh, and I don't want to sell the standard FileMaker HTML DDR short!
>
>  When I generate the XML DDR for InspectorPro, I always generate a new HTML version as well.  It's easy to navigate and search via the web browser and file system tools and, with FileMaker Pro Advanced, it's part of the package!  :-)
>
> My solution is almost 20 years old, with over 64,000 calculations, 2000 scripts and 9000 fields spread over 65 separate files.
>
> I wouldn't be able to make it happen without these awesome tools.
>
> Bob Minteer
>

>> On May 12, 2017, at 8:35 AM, Mark Rubenstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Greg,
>>
>> I can’t comment on FM Perception or Inspector Pro.
>> I have only seen demos of them, but I don’t own them.
>>
>> I do own BaseElements, and I have used it a number of times and found it useful.
>>
>> But Developer Assistant is indispensable to me.
>> I use it every day.
>>
>> Mark

Re: 2empowerFM Developer Assistant [was: Change in 16 to be aware of]

Lisette Wilson
I own all 4.

I use the Developer Assistant and FMPerception daily.

With FMPerception, I find myself in BaseElements and Inspector Pro much
less. With a number of large solutions that change frequently, the time
savings over not having to import the DDR makes a big difference. Quite
often, I'm digging into the DDR to answer a specific question. Can I
delete/repurpose this layout/field/object? Is this script called from
anywhere other than this place I'm revising? A 15 minute wait to run a DDR
then import breaks the flow. If I start answering email, I very well may
have forgotten the question by the time it's done.

--
Lisette Wilson
Informing Designs LLC

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Greg Zielinski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As we are on the subject of Developer Tools.
> I need to make up my mind and get some now
>
> If you'd had a choice of only one, which one of the below tools would you
> pick and why?
>
> FMperception <https://www.geistinteractive.com/products/fmperception-
> fast-filemaker-analysis/#gi-fmperception-pricing>
> Inspector Pro 6 <https://beezwax.net/products/inspector-pro>
> BaseElements (the app) <http://www.baseelements.com/>
> 2empowerFM Developer Assistant <http://www.dracoventions.com/
> products/2empowerFM/family/developer.php>
>

> Greg
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>

> >> This is another time that I found myself so thankful for the 2empowerFM
> Developer Assistant plugin. I ran though probably a thousand scripts across
> a half dozen large solutions in half an hour and found the two potential
> problems.
> >>
> >> Tim Ballering

Re: 2empowerFM Developer Assistant [was: Change in 16 to be aware of]

James Ramsey
As the developer of FMPerception, I know which one *I’d* pick.  :-)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Oh, and Bob… Just FYI, you can export an XML DDR and open it in FMPerception faster than FileMaker can *export* the HTML DDR.  :-)

Thanks,
Dave Ramsey

--
Workflow Data Systems, LLC
[hidden email]

> On May 12, 2017, at 11:41 AM, Lisette Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I own all 4.
>
> I use the Developer Assistant and FMPerception daily.
>
> With FMPerception, I find myself in BaseElements and Inspector Pro much
> less. With a number of large solutions that change frequently, the time
> savings over not having to import the DDR makes a big difference. Quite
> often, I'm digging into the DDR to answer a specific question. Can I
> delete/repurpose this layout/field/object? Is this script called from
> anywhere other than this place I'm revising? A 15 minute wait to run a DDR
> then import breaks the flow. If I start answering email, I very well may
> have forgotten the question by the time it's done.
>
> --
> Lisette Wilson
> Informing Designs LLC
> ph:     512.436.0493
> mobile: 512.658.5875
> FileMaker 9-14 Certified Developer
>
> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Greg Zielinski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> As we are on the subject of Developer Tools.
>> I need to make up my mind and get some now
>>
>> If you'd had a choice of only one, which one of the below tools would you
>> pick and why?
>>
>> FMperception <https://www.geistinteractive.com/products/fmperception-
>> fast-filemaker-analysis/#gi-fmperception-pricing>
>> Inspector Pro 6 <https://beezwax.net/products/inspector-pro>
>> BaseElements (the app) <http://www.baseelements.com/>
>> 2empowerFM Developer Assistant <http://www.dracoventions.com/
>> products/2empowerFM/family/developer.php>
>>

>> Greg
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

>> Developer Assistant plugin. I ran though probably a thousand scripts across
>> a half dozen large solutions in half an hour and found the two potential
>> problems.

Re: 2empowerFM Developer Assistant [was: Change in 16 to be aware of]

Stephen Wonfor-3
and a +1 for FMPerception.  So you really need two choices.

Stephen

---

"Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me." --- Anon

> On May 12, 2017, at 10:04 AM, James Ramsey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As the developer of FMPerception, I know which one *I’d* pick.  :-)
>
> Let me know if you have any questions.
>
> Oh, and Bob… Just FYI, you can export an XML DDR and open it in FMPerception faster than FileMaker can *export* the HTML DDR.  :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Dave Ramsey
>
> --
> Workflow Data Systems, LLC
> [hidden email]
> (614) 352-5795 (cell)
>

>> On May 12, 2017, at 11:41 AM, Lisette Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I own all 4.
>>
>> I use the Developer Assistant and FMPerception daily.
>>
>> With FMPerception, I find myself in BaseElements and Inspector Pro much
>> less. With a number of large solutions that change frequently, the time
>> savings over not having to import the DDR makes a big difference. Quite
>> often, I'm digging into the DDR to answer a specific question. Can I
>> delete/repurpose this layout/field/object? Is this script called from
>> anywhere other than this place I'm revising? A 15 minute wait to run a DDR
>> then import breaks the flow. If I start answering email, I very well may
>> have forgotten the question by the time it's done.
>>
>> --
>> Lisette Wilson
>> Informing Designs LLC
>> ph:     512.436.0493
>> mobile: 512.658.5875
>> FileMaker 9-14 Certified Developer
>>
>> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Greg Zielinski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> As we are on the subject of Developer Tools.
>>> I need to make up my mind and get some now
>>>
>>> If you'd had a choice of only one, which one of the below tools would you
>>> pick and why?
>>>
>>> FMperception <https://www.geistinteractive.com/products/fmperception-
>>> fast-filemaker-analysis/#gi-fmperception-pricing>
>>> Inspector Pro 6 <https://beezwax.net/products/inspector-pro>
>>> BaseElements (the app) <http://www.baseelements.com/>
>>> 2empowerFM Developer Assistant <http://www.dracoventions.com/
>>> products/2empowerFM/family/developer.php>
>>>

>>> Greg
>>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

>>> Developer Assistant plugin. I ran though probably a thousand scripts across
>>> a half dozen large solutions in half an hour and found the two potential
>>> problems.

Re: 2empowerFM Developer Assistant [was: Change in 16 to be aware of]

tim ballering-2
There is a difference between the 2empowerFM Developer Assistant and the others. Both have a best use scenario.  In addition to 2empowerFM Developer Assistant we use Base Elements.

It was a difficult decision between Base Elements and Inspector Pro.  Both are great products backed by great people.  I’ve heard very great things about FMperception as well.

Too many good choices … what a terrible problem to have.

Tim Ballering
[hidden email]

> On May 12, 2017, at 9:15 AM, Greg Zielinski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As we are on the subject of Developer Tools.
> I need to make up my mind and get some now
>
> If you'd had a choice of only one, which one of the below tools would you pick and why?
>
> FMperception <https://www.geistinteractive.com/products/fmperception-fast-filemaker-analysis/#gi-fmperception-pricing>
> Inspector Pro 6 <https://beezwax.net/products/inspector-pro>
> BaseElements (the app) <http://www.baseelements.com/>
> 2empowerFM Developer Assistant <http://www.dracoventions.com/products/2empowerFM/family/developer.php>
>

> Greg
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>

>>> This is another time that I found myself so thankful for the 2empowerFM Developer Assistant plugin. I ran though probably a thousand scripts across a half dozen large solutions in half an hour and found the two potential problems.
>>>
>>> Tim Ballering

Re: Change in 16 to be aware of

John Wolff-2

> On 12/05/2017, at 3:06 AM,Tim Ballering <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> If you allow creation of records via the relationship then it does not appear to cause the issue.  But how many of us have some portal somewhere that does not allow the creation of records via the relationship?  I have to run my solutions though and find every portal that a script may delete a row?

Hi Tim,

As a follow on from this thread, I’ve done more searching this morning just to see where the issue _might_ arise in our main solution.

What I found was this scenario which I believe is robust and thus not susceptible to the recent change:

Subscribers to various Clubs are displayed in a Clubs portal in the Subscriptions Tab of the Customers Record
That portal has the “allow creation” option unchecked.
Consequently the Delete button in a Portal row is ONLY visible when there is a related record.
The Button Script does a GTRR to the related record (matching single record only) in the related records table
That record is deleted (without dialog)

Script then makes a new record in the History portal (in the History tab) on that same Customers record reporting the deleted subscription.

This was the situation that I feared might have been be vulnerable and might have caused deletions elsewhere if that portal had had the "allow creation” option checked.

Even searching for the “Delete Portal Row” script step would not have tested whether the above situation was vulnerable.

Regards,

John Wolff
Hamilton, NZ