Behavior change from FMP 12 to FMP 16

Bob Patin
I have a client who has a database that he wrote, which he’s been using with FMP 12.

We updated him to FMP 16 this morning, and they immediately noticed a behavior difference; to illustrate, I took a couple of screenshots, and since I can’t attach them in emails to this list, put a photo on my website that shows the difference.

Here’s what they do:

Go into FIND mode
Go to a field, which has a value list and a list/menu;

In FMP 12, if they started typing the word "General," the list would filter down, showing only those in the list beginning with the word "General" (like a dynamic pulldown, but there’s no programming here, no relationship—the FIND field is in the same table. What you type remains in the field.

In FMP 16, if you type into the field, the list goes to the selected field—which is what I’ve always seen. The search field stays empty.

Question: how is it that, on his Mac (and I did this several times using his version of FMP 12 to confirm it) that it filters the value list to show only those values with "General" at the beginning of them?

Is this a behavior change that was done somewhere between 12 & 16, but I just hadn’t noticed it?

If you go to this link, you’ll see screenshots of each of them—same database, on a server running FMS 14:

http://www.longtermsolutions.com/fm12_16.png <http://www.longtermsolutions.com/fm12_16.png>

Thanks for any insight; the client is wondering and I am too.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

RE: Behavior change from FMP 12 to FMP 16

Dan Kelly-2
Are you sure the Auto Complete Using Value List is checked?

Best Regards,
Dan Kelly
Yachtlink
954 663 1630

[...]

FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting
FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

Re: Behavior change from FMP 12 to FMP 16

Bob Patin
It’s greyed out, but here’s the thing: when we use it in FMP 12, the value list shrinks as we type, almost as though they’d set up a dynamic value list (which they haven’t).

In FMP 16 though, 2 differences: what you type doesn’t stay in the search field, and the list doesn’t shrink; instead, and this is what I’m used to seeing elsewhere, the list shifts to the first matching value in the list menu.

If you look at the link I sent, you’ll see what I mean…

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

> On May 30, 2017, at 12:33 PM, Dan Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Are you sure the Auto Complete Using Value List is checked?
>
> Best Regards,
> Dan Kelly
> Yachtlink
> 954 663 1630

Is the list show all values for the field or is it a fixed list?
If it is a list showing 2 fields, even if second is only shown then the list will not shrink down

Best Regards,
Dan Kelly
Yachtlink
954 663 1630