Any way to stop a scheduled FMS backup that's in process and taking too long?

Any way to stop a scheduled FMS backup that's in process and taking too long?

Bob Patin
Anyone?

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

Re: Any way to stop a scheduled FMS backup that's in process and taking too long?

Darren Terry-3
Hi Bob: It’s unlikely that the backup itself is taking too long. It’s far more likely that the admin server has crashed and isn’t updating the admin console.

Try restarting the admin server. In Terminal (or the command prompt) type this:

fmsadmin restart adminserver

> On Aug 10,2017, at 8:56 AM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Anyone?
>

> Bob Patin
> Longterm Solutions
> [hidden email]
> 615-333-6858
> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
> -
> iChat: [hidden email]
> Twitter: bobpatin
> —
> FileMaker Consulting
> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

regards,
Darren

******************************
 Darren Terry
 Pacific Data Management, Inc.
 FileMaker Certified Developer
 Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003
 Fax: (408) 283-5903
 [hidden email]
 http://www.pdm-inc.com/

Re: Any way to stop a scheduled FMS backup that's in process and taking too long?

Bob Patin
Darren,

Thanks for the reply; here’s the thing: this client (whose 2 files are backed up in the particular schedule in question) said things were really slow, so combined with the indication that the schedule was still running, and the fact that the client had 18 users in the 2 databases, made me think that the # of users was causing the backup to be slow.

Is that logical?

Best,

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

> On Aug 10, 2017, at 11:02 AM, Darren Terry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob: It’s unlikely that the backup itself is taking too long. It’s far more likely that the admin server has crashed and isn’t updating the admin console.
>
> Try restarting the admin server. In Terminal (or the command prompt) type this:
>
> fmsadmin restart adminserver
>

>> On Aug 10,2017, at 8:56 AM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Anyone?
>>

>> Bob Patin
>> Longterm Solutions
>> [hidden email]
>> 615-333-6858
>> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
>> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
>> -
>> iChat: [hidden email]
>> Twitter: bobpatin
>> —
>> FileMaker Consulting
>> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
>> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

> regards,
> Darren
>
> ******************************
> Darren Terry
> Pacific Data Management, Inc.
> FileMaker Certified Developer
> Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003
> Fax: (408) 283-5903
> [hidden email]
> http://www.pdm-inc.com/

Re: Any way to stop a scheduled FMS backup that's in process and taking too long?

Stephen Wonfor-3
Bob

Sitting in line waiting for the ferry to Newfoundland.  But, I know you can disconnect the "server user" when running a server side routine.  Maybe the backup routines connect as a user.  Maybe not. The "Free WIFI" is really "NoFI".

Stephen

------------------
Sent using a device built by a popular California technology cult.

> On Aug 10, 2017, at 15:25, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Darren,
>
> Thanks for the reply; here’s the thing: this client (whose 2 files are backed up in the particular schedule in question) said things were really slow, so combined with the indication that the schedule was still running, and the fact that the client had 18 users in the 2 databases, made me think that the # of users was causing the backup to be slow.
>
> Is that logical?
>
> Best,
>
> Bob Patin
> Longterm Solutions
> [hidden email]
> 615-333-6858
> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
> -
> iChat: [hidden email]
> Twitter: bobpatin
> —
> FileMaker Consulting
> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting
>
>> On Aug 10, 2017, at 11:02 AM, Darren Terry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bob: It’s unlikely that the backup itself is taking too long. It’s far more likely that the admin server has crashed and isn’t updating the admin console.
>>
>> Try restarting the admin server. In Terminal (or the command prompt) type this:
>>
>> fmsadmin restart adminserver
>>

>>> On Aug 10,2017, at 8:56 AM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone?
>>>

>>> Bob Patin
>>> Longterm Solutions
>>> [hidden email]
>>> 615-333-6858
>>> FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
>>> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
>>> -
>>> iChat: [hidden email]
>>> Twitter: bobpatin
>>> —
>>> FileMaker Consulting
>>> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
>>> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

>> regards,
>> Darren
>>
>> ******************************
>> Darren Terry
>> Pacific Data Management, Inc.
>> FileMaker Certified Developer
>> Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003
>> Fax: (408) 283-5903
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.pdm-inc.com/

Re: Any way to stop a scheduled FMS backup that's in process and taking too long?

Darren Terry-3
Hi Bob: When FMS runs a scheduled backup, it pauses the databases first. This prevents users from doing anything in the files for the duration. If they’re complaining of slowness (rather than getting coffee cupped), it’s not a backup that’s causing it.

> On Aug 10,2017, at 10:55 AM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the reply; here’s the thing: this client (whose 2 files are backed up in the particular schedule in question) said things were really slow, so combined with the indication that the schedule was still running, and the fact that the client had 18 users in the 2 databases, made me think that the # of users was causing the backup to be slow.
>
> Is that logical?

regards,
Darren

******************************
 Darren Terry
 Pacific Data Management, Inc.
 FileMaker Certified Developer
 Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003
 Fax: (408) 283-5903
 [hidden email]
 http://www.pdm-inc.com/

Re: Any way to stop a scheduled FMS backup that's in process and taking too long?

Bob Patin
So, if there are 18 users, it pauses all 18 for the duration then; I was thinking that perhaps it did it in stages, pausing only intermittently so that users wouldn’t actually realize that a backup was going on.

Oh well, so much for that theory…

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: [hidden email]
Twitter: bobpatin

FileMaker Consulting

> On Aug 10, 2017, at 1:39 PM, Darren Terry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob: When FMS runs a scheduled backup, it pauses the databases first. This prevents users from doing anything in the files for the duration. If they’re complaining of slowness (rather than getting coffee cupped), it’s not a backup that’s causing it.

Re: Any way to stop a scheduled FMS backup that's in process and taking too long?

eric scheid-5
On 11 Aug 2017, at 5:32 am, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So, if there are 18 users, it pauses all 18 for the duration then; I was thinking that perhaps it did it in stages, pausing only intermittently so that users wouldn’t actually realize that a backup was going on.

It pauses all database files in that backup script, which pauses all writes for those users. It then un-pauses each file as each gets written out to the backup directory.

From the users’ point of view, they can still search/sort/etc. Then can even click into fields and edit .. but if they attempt to commit a record then they get presented with a coffee-cup cursor for the duration. Same within scripts .. there isn’t a error code or anything, things just .. wait .. until the file is unpaused.

I drink mine with a shot of whiskey.

e.

Re: Any way to stop a scheduled FMS backup that's in process and taking too long?

Beverly Voth-3
And there it is! I was just remembering when Darren got "coffee cupped" at DevCon, many moons ago. LOL
Beverly
Sent from miPhone

> On Aug 10, 2017, at 2:39 PM, Darren Terry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob: When FMS runs a scheduled backup, it pauses the databases first. This prevents users from doing anything in the files for the duration. If they’re complaining of slowness (rather than getting coffee cupped), it’s not a backup that’s causing it.
>
>> On Aug 10,2017, at 10:55 AM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the reply; here’s the thing: this client (whose 2 files are backed up in the particular schedule in question) said things were really slow, so combined with the indication that the schedule was still running, and the fact that the client had 18 users in the 2 databases, made me think that the # of users was causing the backup to be slow.
>>
>> Is that logical?
>

> regards,
> Darren
>
> ******************************
> Darren Terry
> Pacific Data Management, Inc.
> FileMaker Certified Developer
> Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003
> Fax: (408) 283-5903
> [hidden email]
> http://www.pdm-inc.com/

Re: Any way to stop a scheduled FMS backup that's in process and taking too long?

Darren Terry-3
Can’t believe that was 19 years ago.

> On Aug 10,2017, at 12:47 PM, Beverly Voth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> And there it is! I was just remembering when Darren got "coffee cupped" at DevCon, many moons ago. LOL
> Beverly
> Sent from miPhone
>
>> On Aug 10, 2017, at 2:39 PM, Darren Terry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bob: When FMS runs a scheduled backup, it pauses the databases first. This prevents users from doing anything in the files for the duration. If they’re complaining of slowness (rather than getting coffee cupped), it’s not a backup that’s causing it.
>>
>>> On Aug 10,2017, at 10:55 AM, Bob Patin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply; here’s the thing: this client (whose 2 files are backed up in the particular schedule in question) said things were really slow, so combined with the indication that the schedule was still running, and the fact that the client had 18 users in the 2 databases, made me think that the # of users was causing the backup to be slow.
>>>
>>> Is that logical?

regards,
Darren

******************************
 Darren Terry
 Pacific Data Management, Inc.
 FileMaker Certified Developer
 Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003
 Fax: (408) 283-5903
 [hidden email]
 http://www.pdm-inc.com/

Re: Any way to stop a scheduled FMS backup that's in process and taking too long?

Jon Rosen
Feels more like 19 months.

Jon

Sent from my iPhone